MEGA Miami Fan Attendance -Discussion

Advertisement
And maybe 1 million of those watch CFB. Maybe. How many watch Canes regularly? How many live in poverty? What's work schedule? Who watches the babies? Transportation? How many are alumni? How many students show up in Miami gardens? 130? Texas A&M that we just played has 36,000 students every game. Apples to oranges man.

You're right. Players deserve better. And that starts with the university, not the fanbase (JMO). Our marketing sucks. This isn't Gainesville. You don't just kick the ball & people automatically come. Get creative. Make it about community.
They bring 36k students but also 64k none students. Our stadium holds 64k in total. I know all the stats. How many of those other fans are alumni? Does being an alumni makes its easier to go to games? Do they all live within 1 hour of College Station? They have their advantages. We have ours

this is normally on a saturday evening. few times had we played this type of team on a week night. either way, im good with it. more time to get guys rest and healthy esp on the DL

Yeah, it's a double-whammy. Weak opponent on a Thursday night. I drove down from ATL last year for B-C, as it was the home opener. This year, I sold my tix for less than $20 each, and they are good tickets.

I am hopeful that we will have a good turnout for GaTech, but the only real chance we have for a sellout is the Clemson game. The UVa game is Homecoming, so we'll have a good crowd that day, and then if we miraculously manage to run the table, I'd expect the Louisville game to be packed.

It was bethue on a thursday.

Get off twitter for a few days.
These are called excuses. Sounds like politicians. Notice the difference between oit of state canes fans and locals. Culture and mindset.....like i said. There is nothing built in that says we camt get a good crowd v Bethune on a thursday when we have a good undefeated team. Yeah im not the one who needs to get off twitter.

Advertisement
These are called excuses. Sounds like politicians. Notice the difference between oit of state canes fans and locals. Culture and mindset.....like i said. There is nothing built in that says we camt get a good crowd v Bethune on a thursday when we have a good undefeated team. Yeah im not the one who needs to get off twitter.
I was at the game. Good try tho.

Im not talking about soccer fans and fans of Messi, none of that. Im talking about MIAMI Hurricane fans who pick and choose which game to go to or stop going in totality. If you are a cane fan, canes game is the event not the opponent. Yes the marketing is for reach more fans as well but alot of Miami fans attend games like casuals and will do whatever to go to FSU but not Bethune. And yes i posted it after last night but its a general statement on the culture and mindset of Miami fans.

I'm going to be honest.

Until we can make the environment PLEASANT, there are going to be impediments.

---I wish we could connect to mass-transit. The MetroRail got students close to the Orange Bowl, but this looooong bus ride from campus is challenging (from what I've been told). I also believe there is a Brightline shuttle for Dolphin games, but not Hurricane games.
---We need better options for ride-sharing. I tried to help a friend get some info on this for the aTm game, only to learn that if you Uber/Lyft to games, the after-game pickup is at the Wal-Mart.
---The signage and outbound egress for the parking lots is still a disaster. I know that some of you "every-gamer" types know your little tricks, but it's not the same for those of us who go to Hard Rock on a less frequent basis.

Sadly, I don't think Stephen Ross cares about any of those issues beyond how it impacts the Dolphins.

I'm not saying that is the reason we can't SELL MORE tickets, but it definitely contributes to no-shows, and it definitely hinders people from making last-minute decisions to come out to our games. It's a commitment. I wish more people were able to make that commitment. Maybe soon, with more winning.

How many of those other fans are alumni? Does being an alumni makes its easier to go to games? Do they all live within 1 hour of College Station?
Obviously we can't get data on some of these questions. Alumni isn't specific per say. Alumni-web: Spouse, parent, sibling, child, grandparent (even friend/neighbor).. all can influence a persons fandom.

(I became a Miami fan in gator country early on bc my neighbor played for the Canes & they'd take me to games.)

And yes, I'd say this web is high % at TAMU.

season ticket sales were garbage. Look at the posts on this site alone concerning them when tix went on sale. We are coming off of a 5 win season and inflation is eating into people’s savings. Couple that with Miami traffic and the logic is to stay home and watch if at all.

Only the avid fans are watching for a glimpse at the backups taking the field.

These games are a great opportunity to do upper bowl ticket giveaways. Just give them out. Get local businesses and football programs to be a part of the upper bowl giveaway. Bus them in. Fill it up with new fans that otherwise can’t afford the cost of parking and ticket costs.

Advertisement
Mad Face Off GIF

So it’s an issue that requires multiple solutions. First and foremost, the seats that are unsold should be massively discounted (along with parking) or just donated to give away to local schools.

That should fill some of the seats but then you have to deal with the season ticket holders that are either too busy or not motivated enough to go to the game. The University should create a non-for-profit program whereby season ticket holders can donate their seats and parking and get a letter of donation to make it a charitable tax deduction.

The non-for-profit can then distribute these to local schools, programs for underprivileged and local pop Warner programs. Mind you, BCU (and similar non-D1A competition) are the only games that you need to do this for if we are winning. I would wager that if we are 4-0 going into GT, we will have a pretty decent turnout (weather permitting). And if we make it to Clemson at 6-0, the game will be a sell out.

Advertisement
2000 vs McNeese on a Thursday drew 50,000
I'm sure there's occasional outliers. Like I said in my last post, season ticket numbers are included in announced attendance and years that we play FSU, there's usually a significant bump in season tickets sold. We played FSU at home in 2000.

I'm going to be honest.

Until we can make the environment PLEASANT, there are going to be impediments.

---I wish we could connect to mass-transit. The MetroRail got students close to the Orange Bowl, but this looooong bus ride from campus is challenging (from what I've been told). I also believe there is a Brightline shuttle for Dolphin games, but not Hurricane games.
---We need better options for ride-sharing. I tried to help a friend get some info on this for the aTm game, only to learn that if you Uber/Lyft to games, the after-game pickup is at the Wal-Mart.
---The signage and outbound egress for the parking lots is still a disaster. I know that some of you "every-gamer" types know your little tricks, but it's not the same for those of us who go to Hard Rock on a less frequent basis.

Sadly, I don't think Stephen Ross cares about any of those issues beyond how it impacts the Dolphins.

I'm not saying that is the reason we can't SELL MORE tickets, but it definitely contributes to no-shows, and it definitely hinders people from making last-minute decisions to come out to our games. It's a commitment. I wish more people were able to make that commitment. Maybe soon, with more winning.
The ob ride from campus was stupid by the end. They had limited info on the bus that takes you from the stop to the ob. I’ve missed the ride back a few times (these were pre uber days) and ended up walking to the metro which if it’s a big game you’re w a large crowd but nooners when it’s dead empty against ncsu, you’re the Lone Ranger lol

Advertisement
It was bethue on a thursday.
Discussed this last night.

How come this can't be an annual thing? Move game to Fri. . Schedule half day at school on Friday with a pre-game parade/festival celebrating community, heritage, HBCU, etc.. Involve local schools. Hype it up. Annual event everyone looks forward to as a community.

absolutely not on the tuition front. its a private school. not a public school.

I know its a private school but that alone doesn’t prevent it. Like I posted previously, regarding Duke, also a private school:

Beginning in fall 2023, Duke University will cover the tuition of undergraduate students from North Carolina and South Carolina whose families earn $150,000 or less a year.Jun 20, 2023

Miami could do something similar for just the city of Miami.

Went to the game last night. Lets say i was highly disappointed in the turn out. I dont too care for what the media and rival fans say but i want the players to feel the love every game, V FSU or v Bethune.

If you live out of state or way up central and north FL, this is not about u. The money out of state fans have to spend to get to 1 game, dwarfs what local fans need to spend on season tickets.

Miami fans game attendance comes down to culture and mindset. Miami Dade population is 2.6 mill as of 2021, Broward is 1.9 mill and palm beach county is 1.5 mill. Roughly 6 million people live within 1 hour of Hard Rock stadium. Miami is a national program. Not getting 55-60k every week is culture and mindset.

I do put alot of it on the University. They do a really poor job of marketing the program. Why dont they bomb local gas stations and corner stores with canes gear and memorabilia, billboards, radio spots.

So FL has a higher median income than most small college towns. We can claim that other university have more alums than Miami, thats true. But Miami also attracts more fans that have no affiliation with the university because of brand recognition. The University is not maximizing the brand recognition.

In addition to the marketing i spoke of, i would reduce the capacity of Hard Rock and make the tickets more scarce.

This is gonna be the last negative fodder rivals and media use against us. We need to change it and stop making excuses.

Not because its been one way doesnt mean it always has to be that way. It only remain that way if we do the same thing. Winning alone wont bring fans. I seen clips of 2001 and there were 40k v Syracuse

Btw when i say market the team. Play on the hometown all american. There should be a billboard all over SO FL of Kam, James. They are not doing enough.

I'm disappointed in the turn out also for very different reasons. I'm going to give a bit of backstory on my experience as a fan of the U and maybe this resonates for with some of the other fans here and why the school has pushed us away from giving not only our time but our money and support to attend these games.

We've been season ticket holders for over 50 years, my grandfather was one of the original Orange Bowl committee members and I remember growing up going to every game when I was as young as 3 years old. We had 8 tickets right on the 50 yard line in the old ****** orange bowl we all loved. When the Canes moved to the dolphins stadium we were told our seats of 40+ years were no longer available, no explanation. While upsetting we understood - new stadium, things happen. They told us they'd take care of us.

Our definitions of being taken care of must have been very different. Moved us to the 20 yard line and acted as if they did us a huge favor while increasing our ticket cost. Again, not the end of the world and at the end of it all we were here to support the team.

As the years have gone by the fan experience has steadily gotten worse. Spending $7K on tickets a year at the very least should guarantee halfway decent away game tickets. Instead, I get calls saying I need to donate another few hundred to even have the privilege to potentially get tickets (no guarantee on section). I'm sure others can chime in on their awful experiences getting away tickets. At this point it's becoming clear the school does not care about the fan experience. It's "how can I squeeze them for every dollar." As if we should be thanking the school for donating our time on the weekends and spending our thousands of dollars on a product the school clearly wasn't invested in for years.

Last year for the first time in over 50 years was the first time our family did not renew our season tickets. We received a call saying our parking passes we're no longer available but again don't worry they were able to get us 2 yellow lot passes instead, again no explanation. I'll watch the games from home where I don't have to drive an hour+ each way, drinks aren't $15+, ****** meal cost $20+, and where I can actually watch the replays. I'm not even sure what the 4 giant screens at the stadium are for at this point.

I'm disappointed that the school demands everything from their fans but treats us with the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Fandom goes both ways. They want fans in the seats then treat us as if they actually want us to be there.

Discussed this last night.

How come this can't be an annual thing? Move game to Fri. . Schedule half day at school on Friday with a pre-game parade/festival celebrating community, heritage, HBCU, etc.. Involve local schools. Hype it up. Annual event everyone looks forward to as a community.
Bc the district school board will never approve that. It also takes away from another holiday that they have slotted (religious or not). Now hurricane days are made up w less or no early release days

Advertisement
Back