MEGA Miami Fan Attendance -Discussion

Earlier this week I talked to a client about this who's son goes to Miami.
There I was with my hoarse voice telling him how great the game was then asked him if his son had a good time.
His response...
"oh, most of the students go to tailgate, but don't actually go in to the game".
smmfh

I work with a few former students of UM and they don’t give 2 ***** about Miami football.

Advertisement
Yup. I left the kids and wife at home because I'm not going to schlep them up to watch a half when they have school the next morning. I'm sure plenty of folks stayed home for similar reasons. One of my buddies worked till 5 and had to be up at 5 the next day and didn't want to sacrifice for Bethune. And then you add normal weekday traffic and unfortunately folks find excuses not to come. (We were in bumper-to-bumper traffic at 7:10 on I95 and those folks sure as **** were not going to the game.) Unless a Thursday night game is marquee, it's going to be a problem attendance-wise.
I know it sounds like excuses for people but all of this is true. You work until 5 on a Thursday, get out of work, shower change and haul *** just to get into the parking lot by 7 and find a space. Then go straight into the stadium with no tailgate time just to watch a game that's really over before it starts. Maybe for people who don't work 9-5 or people who work from home, it's not a big deal but for the average working schlub, it's a hassle. Maybe, if it's a big game, you ask to get out early from work or use some type of vacation day but a lot of people aren't trying to sacrifice one of their vacation days for a UM-BCC game.

Earlier this week I talked to a client about this who's son goes to Miami.
There I was with my hoarse voice telling him how great the game was then asked him if his son had a good time.
His response...
"oh, most of the students go to tailgate, but don't actually go in to the game".
smmfh
Alcohol too expensive inside the game. I get it LOL.

I’m honestly tired of these mope threads. It’s beyond obvious that a lot of our fans want the University to be something it will never be and it’s tiring. The fans will never care because most of our fans have no connection to the school. Look at the schools that draw well, THEY ARE ALL SCHOOLS WITH HUGE, LOCALIZED ALUMNI BASES. Even USC, a school with a significantly larger student body and their alumni are mostly local compared to Miami, struggles to fill their facility regularly, even when they are elite. SMU, TCU are in the same boat. It’s almost like being in a major metropolitan city has something to do with it.

Even when Miami was giving away tickets with the purchase of a whopper, people weren’t coming in droves. Even when the program was winning every home game for almost a full decade, people only showed up for the big games which ironically are the only games anyone remembers which leads to threads like this. If you want the state school experience, then cheer for one. The University of Miami is not nor will ever be UF or Alabama, but what we do offer is unique and we will lean into it. That’s what is attractive to recruits, the fact that UMiami is more than a college program but isn’t a NFL franchise. We are that unique middle ground. Spending 4 years in Miami isn’t for everyone, but for those that choose to, it will be a different experience than living in Athens or Happy Valley.

I'm disappointed in the turn out also for very different reasons. I'm going to give a bit of backstory on my experience as a fan of the U and maybe this resonates for with some of the other fans here and why the school has pushed us away from giving not only our time but our money and support to attend these games.

We've been season ticket holders for over 50 years, my grandfather was one of the original Orange Bowl committee members and I remember growing up going to every game when I was as young as 3 years old. We had 8 tickets right on the 50 yard line in the old ****** orange bowl we all loved. When the Canes moved to the dolphins stadium we were told our seats of 40+ years were no longer available, no explanation. While upsetting we understood - new stadium, things happen. They told us they'd take care of us.

Our definitions of being taken care of must have been very different. Moved us to the 20 yard line and acted as if they did us a huge favor while increasing our ticket cost. Again, not the end of the world and at the end of it all we were here to support the team.

As the years have gone by the fan experience has steadily gotten worse. Spending $7K on tickets a year at the very least should guarantee halfway decent away game tickets. Instead, I get calls saying I need to donate another few hundred to even have the privilege to potentially get tickets (no guarantee on section). I'm sure others can chime in on their awful experiences getting away tickets. At this point it's becoming clear the school does not care about the fan experience. It's "how can I squeeze them for every dollar." As if we should be thanking the school for donating our time on the weekends and spending our thousands of dollars on a product the school clearly wasn't invested in for years.

Last year for the first time in over 50 years was the first time our family did not renew our season tickets. We received a call saying our parking passes we're no longer available but again don't worry they were able to get us 2 yellow lot passes instead, again no explanation. I'll watch the games from home where I don't have to drive an hour+ each way, drinks aren't $15+, ****** meal cost $20+, and where I can actually watch the replays. I'm not even sure what the 4 giant screens at the stadium are for at this point.

I'm disappointed that the school demands everything from their fans but treats us with the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Fandom goes both ways. They want fans in the seats then treat us as if they actually want us to be there.
That sucks when any school does something like this, but particularly so when they aren't filling the stadium to begin with. Wish they would concentrate on trying to get more fans into the stadium instead of milking the ones that they already have.

Advertisement
Logistically, I would think it would be easier for them to fling the gates wide open to the public for free for games like Bethune, or drop ticket prices down to a buck a piece, or even half priced tickets while throw in an incentive--a T-shirt or something. Marketing is pricey and Hurricane Football is a business.
As a fan that was there last night I was thinking this same thing. These cupcakes games are opportunities that the U should give out tickets to local HighSchools and to the public. The ticket prices are not the problem for games like Bethune because I got 3 tickets at row 122 for $9.00 each. I believe if they are smart they would give away tickets to schools and the kids would do the work of getting the parents to go to stadium and buy a ticket to accompany their kids. Just a thought 💭 blessings to all.

I hate the phrase "it is what it is", but... it is.
[BGCOLOR=initial]I'm in NJ ...(no shet)...when I cant get to HRS I'll give my tickets to friends or family in so fla or give them away here.[/BGCOLOR]

We here can't control what others do but we (the CIS freaks) can control what we do.

See you in Philly.

Well I couldn't make it because I caught Covid last game, so I'm on bed rest/quarantine.

Next home game in October should have a good crowd.

Vs Bethune cookman

2019-52,036
2022- 56,795

I don't think the crowd last night was anywhere close to those 2019 & 2022 numbers.
Tickets sold. I’ve been to every Bethune game. Half of that showed.

Advertisement
I’m honestly tired of these mope threads. It’s beyond obvious that a lot of our fans want the University to be something it will never be and it’s tiring. The fans will never care because most of our fans have no connection to the school. Look at the schools that draw well, THEY ARE ALL SCHOOLS WITH HUGE, LOCALIZED ALUMNI BASES. Even USC, a school with a significantly larger student body and their alumni are mostly local compared to Miami, struggles to fill their facility regularly, even when they are elite. SMU, TCU are in the same boat. It’s almost like being in a major metropolitan city has something to do with it.

Even when Miami was giving away tickets with the purchase of a whopper, people weren’t coming in droves. Even when the program was winning every home game for almost a full decade, people only showed up for the big games which ironically are the only games anyone remembers which leads to threads like this. If you want the state school experience, then cheer for one. The University of Miami is not nor will ever be UF or Alabama, but what we do offer is unique and we will lean into it. That’s what is attractive to recruits, the fact that UMiami is more than a college program but isn’t a NFL franchise. We are that unique middle ground. Spending 4 years in Miami isn’t for everyone, but for those that choose to, it will be a different experience than living in Athens or Happy Valley.
Dont care if u tired of it. And tired of alot as well. Like man online posting like they care but act like its not important to support the players especially when they playing well and doing what we hope they would. First ones to start crying after a bad performance. Im tired of that too but its ok

I work with a few former students of UM and they don’t give 2 ***** about Miami football.
I had a "discussion" on here with a UM student a few years back.
He was going on about there being other ways in so fla to maximize his "entertainment dollar" :mad:

I know its a private school but that alone doesn’t prevent it. Like I posted previously, regarding Duke, also a private school:

Beginning in fall 2023, Duke University will cover the tuition of undergraduate students from North Carolina and South Carolina whose families earn $150,000 or less a year.Jun 20, 2023

Miami could do something similar for just the city of Miami.
How many kids even qualify for that assistance at Duke? Exactly. This fanbase loves to spend the school’s money despite providing no support whatsoever. The University of Miami is NOT a state sponsored institution and shouldn’t be run that way. Why is this so incredibly difficult to grasp? Dukes program is like the Harvard program where it’s rarely utilized because there are few poor kids that will even get in to begin with.

Advertisement
This thread isnt folks just *****ing and being mopey. There are actual discussions on how to improve the situation taking place. I can respect that. This can never be a bad thing IMHO.
Giving away tickets isn’t a solution(all it does is create fan entitlement, as we see now) spending millions on billboards, a dying advertising medium isn’t a solution. It’s fans wishing for something that the school isn’t nor will ever be. Miami has unique challenges and we need to understand that. The student athletes that succeed here understand that this isn’t the same fishbowl that is Athens or Tuscaloosa.

How many kids even qualify for that assistance at Duke? Exactly. This fanbase loves to spend the school’s money despite providing no support whatsoever. The University of Miami is NOT a state sponsored institution and shouldn’t be run that way. Why is this so incredibly difficult to grasp? Dukes program is like the Harvard program where it’s rarely utilized because there are few poor kids that will even get in to begin with.
How do you know, when that program just started? Its for the whole state of north carolina and south carolina. You may be correct but it’s impossible to know at this juncture so I don’t buy your conviction on this.

Advertisement
This thread isnt folks just *****ing and being mopey. There are actual discussions on how to improve the situation taking place. I can respect that. This can never be a bad thing IMHO.
They wanna act like we cant fix any of it and i totally disagree.

247 did a survey with the recruits and we were #10 with recruits. FSU and UF were not on it in terms of brand recognition. Our admin is not doing enough because man defensive on here because they feel like the cap fit some of my points and calling it mope. There are things we can change or atleast try

The school needs to do a way better job of marketing, the now finally improving, on field product. All the community outreach, marketing, and other ideas listed in this thread should all be on the table within the program. The school needs a serious initiative on this, headed by a single capable person, who’s exclusive job it is is to try different things to improve attendance, and they should have carte blanche institutional support. Moping that the fans should just be better is incredibly disconnected from the reality of a small school that has sucked for 20 years in a major metro area.

Giving away tickets isn’t a solution(all it does is create fan entitlement, as we see now) spending millions on billboards, a dying advertising medium isn’t a solution. It’s fans wishing for something that the school isn’t nor will ever be. Miami has unique challenges and we need to understand that. The student athletes that succeed here understand that this isn’t the same fishbowl that is Athens or Tuscaloosa.
Who said it needs to be like Athens or Tuscaloosa?

Whats wrong with striving to be the best version of yourself or in this instance the school being the best version of itself. Just because YOU say these ideas wont contribute to that end, doesn’t make it so. Nonetheless, I respect your opinions.

Thanks

Alot of those fans from those places travel further to get to games than most canes fan need to. And also spend more. I dont Miami to be like them, i want it to be better than it is now. I want them to do more from the admin. Simple.

Advertisement
Back