MEGA Miami Fan Attendance -Discussion

I put my money where my mouth is w UM. do you?

this city is what it is with sports attendance. even in 01, games were dead empty unless it was a big one. these games WILL NEVER draw here. Miami isnt a college sports market no matter what anyone says. it barely is for the pro teams unless theyre winning. inter miami games were dead empty compared to Portland or Seattle until Messi got here. the heat are empty when they suck and full when they win and even then, they get the random half filled arenas for a regular season game in the middle of the year against a bad team.
But they show up for FSU when we having a terrible season last season. Culture and mindset. Its about the event not supporting the team. Which is why we need to reach more fans. And the admin need to do more. I go to the games. I went last night so not sure why u talking about putting money where your mouth is. If u love in SO FL and are a canes fan people need to stop acting like only some games are important to attend. Its culture and mindset.

Advertisement
There’s some excuses for the regular people not to show but the students, that’s a different thing. They suck at showing up, and they even leave early in big games last week. By third quarter they were pretty much all gone. Just a pathetic display but the students. How are you going to expecting regular alum to show up for a game, it’s probably cause they didn’t go to games as students as well.

This is really a good post. I appreciate the grown man conversation.

I am an out of state guy.

I have one question for you Miami folks.

In the city of Miami,

Is the University of Miami TRULY that city’s team? What i mean by that is, how involved is the school with the community in large OUTSIDE of Coral Gables?

Are there opportunities for inner city youth to attend programs at Miami? Camps (athletic and academic)? Does the school allow youth football games at the school on the practice fields? Like how often do inner city programs say “thanks you” to The University of Miami for sponsorship, mentorship, donations etc…

At Duke, they are getting ready to do the following:

Beginning in fall 2023, Duke University will cover the tuition of undergraduate students from North Carolina and South Carolina whose families earn $150,000 or less a year.

Does Miami offer something similar?
Doubtful. Duke endowment many times larger than UM. But I like where you are going. Why doesn't Miami cover tickets and parking for these type of games for kids and families.

I've come to accept our attendance for what our city/fan makeup is.
- This isn't a stadium on campus of a Big State School with 40,000 students, that have nothing to do on a Thursday night. UM has about 12k student population, and have to drive themselves or take the buses to the stadium... So from 12k, you're down to 2k maybe on a Thursday night vs. BC. UF/FSU easily get 20k students to show up on a crappy opponent. The big state schools that clown us can go eat a bag of d*cks.. we're just a different situation.

- Now that I'm a dad with kids in sports and on a school night, I could guarantee a huge portion of the families that go on Saturdays, aren't going on a school night. Especially vs. BC. And any of the families that are also in sports have games/practices.

- We are a city of comforts.... the skies were horrific leading up to the game and I bet a ton of fans were like ***** this, I'm gonna watch on a TV, rather than tailgate in that stormy weather. again..... vs. BC

I more blame the AD for scheduling bad games on Thursday nights.. we aren't the program to do that with for the above reasons. Friday nights vs. Good opponents and just Saturdays.....

Advertisement
Looking at the numbers there was only a few thousand fewer than A&M. A&M just barely got the threshold where parts of the stadium feels like there are people. We call it a "good turnout" when we reach that point. The fact that we can't get to 50k, which really should be considered the minimum is embarrassing.

Also they did reduce the capacity back when we were just barely getting 50k. It didn't help. When CMR was pulling in 70k for FCS teams that 70 was in reduced capacity.

But they show up for FSU when we having a terrible season last season. Culture and mindset. Its about the event not supporting the team. Which is why we need to reach more fans. And the admin need to do more. I go to the games. I went last night so not sure why u talking about putting money where your mouth is. If u love in SO FL and are a canes fan people need to stop acting like only some games are important to attend. Its culture and mindset.
theyve always shown up for big games bc its an event town. miami is an event town. if its the place to be - FSU, UF - then people will be there to be w the masses and get their geo tags.

youre like a brick wall right now with zero understanding of the city or its how it handles sports attendance and viewership.

we have a small diehard fanbase. those generally attend. after that, it will be based on W/L and opponent. it has always been this way. it will be worse now since a lot of the locals dont live here anymore and moved away from SFL @TheOriginalCane. the transplants that moved in and destroyed the housing market gives zero ***** about UM. theyll go to a messi MLS game or a heat game to be with the "in crowd". even the fins struggled w attendance issues. football tbh isnt a big market here anymore. w the fins being lackluster for years and canes the same and the heat being a yearly contender, locals are spending their money and time to go there.

i would like more fans at games and i complaiend about the atm attendance. i didnt expect **** for this game so im not sure why you chose THIS game to be mad about fan attendance lol. i get it for atm when we didnt get over 50k there for what should generally be a much more filled game. for this one, its the classic attend for a half and bounce when its on a satruday. this is on a thursday where people have work and school.

I blame the economy.

I'[BGCOLOR=initial]m in Washington state, gas is above $5 a gallon now. I am driving my wife's hybrid minivan when I have to drive more than 2 hours because it gets twice the gas mileage of my truck. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]UM should have "Gas Discount Night" for games with low attendance. Free tickets, and bring Your BCU ticket stub to the gas station and get a .25 cent per gallon discount on gas. [/BGCOLOR]

Bethune on a weeknight is gonna be an even tougher pull than usual. Its just the nature of the beast, had a couple people turn me down because its a school night and such. I wouldnt stress this game, when schedule came out you already knew this game would be tough draw..
this is normally on a saturday evening. few times had we played this type of team on a week night. either way, im good with it. more time to get guys rest and healthy esp on the DL

Advertisement
I blame the economy.

I'[BGCOLOR=initial]m in Washington state, gas is above $5 a gallon now. I am driving my wife's hybrid minivan when I have to drive more than 2 hours because it gets twice the gas mileage of my truck. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]UM should have "Gas Discount Night" for games with low attendance. Bring Your BCU ticket stub to the gas station and get a .25 cent per gallon discount on gas. [/BGCOLOR]
went to rainier and stayed in buckley a few weeks ago. area is beautiful

Doubtful. Duke endowment many times larger than UM. But I like where you are going. Why doesn't Miami cover tickets and parking for these type of games for kids and families.
Maybe UM cant offer to cover tuition for the whole state obviously but what about just for certain counties in Miami? Is the endowment enough to do that?

Its called the University of Miami but does the school see itself as somewhat elitist in some ways a part from the Miami
Community? I feel like there are so many different ways the school can associate itself and be part of the fabric of the city. And the school may already do this but if not, that would be my pathway. You have to create a movement, where the U is a part of life in the city.

What about a unity day or festival where the university puts on a party or festival at Tropical Park for folks. I mean i feel like outreach is always the way. Thats not an over night fix but once it is fixed in THAT WAY, you have a community that is invested in what you are doing because they are part of it.

Look we can give the fanbase **** for attendance. I totally get it. Last week was embarassing. But 7:30 on a Thursday night against Bethune cookman warrants no flack that there were 25k in the stands.

Many people work til 5 or 6. If you’re going north to get to the game good luck trying to get to that game on time with traffic. Just asinine scheduling if we’re worried about our image.

Miami should never play home games on a Thursday night
Yup. I left the kids and wife at home because I'm not going to schlep them up to watch a half when they have school the next morning. I'm sure plenty of folks stayed home for similar reasons. One of my buddies worked till 5 and had to be up at 5 the next day and didn't want to sacrifice for Bethune. And then you add normal weekday traffic and unfortunately folks find excuses not to come. (We were in bumper-to-bumper traffic at 7:10 on I95 and those folks sure as **** were not going to the game.) Unless a Thursday night game is marquee, it's going to be a problem attendance-wise.

There’s some excuses for the regular people not to show but the students, that’s a different thing. They suck at showing up, and they even leave early in big games last week. By third quarter they were pretty much all gone. Just a pathetic display but the students. How are you going to expecting regular alum to show up for a game, it’s probably cause they didn’t go to games as students as well.
the student body isnt the same as it was. tried to tell everyone that.

Advertisement
Maybe UM cant offer to cover tuition for the whole state obviously but what about just for certain counties in Miami? Is the endowment enough to do that?

Its called the University of Miami but does the school see itself as somewhat elitist in some ways a part from the Miami
Community? I feel like there are so many different ways the school can associate itself and be part of the fabric of the city. And the school may already do this but if not, that would be my pathway. You have to create a movement, where the U is a part of life in the city.

What about a unity day or festival where the university puts on a party or festival at Tropical Park for folks. I mean i feel like outreach is always the way. Thats not an over night fix but once it is fixed in THAT WAY, you have a community that is invested in what you are doing because they are part of it.
I just don't think they know how to market the university to the city/region or whatever. I think they have good intentions.

absolutely not on the tuition front. its a private school. not a public school. the school offers a ton of aid (at least used to) and are generous (or at least were) with their scholarship money. if you are a smart student, you can pretty easily get a UM ride at least some what partial along with financial aid grants. a lot of kids i went with were there bc of the ship money and turned down duke and others. UM isnt hurting for students either so they have no need to start subsidizing local tuition rates. it also opens up a can of worms especially as more and more people moved in and moved the actual locals out. next thing you got a trust fund kid going to UM on a free ride when he or she may not deserve it academically.

like it or not the city of miami and the area isnt what it used to be. it has changed. you actually will find more of what it was going further north in SFL than in miami now due to the shift in the population.

theyve always shown up for big games bc its an event town. miami is an event town. if its the place to be - FSU, UF - then people will be there to be w the masses and get their geo tags.

youre like a brick wall right now with zero understanding of the city or its how it handles sports attendance and viewership.

we have a small diehard fanbase. those generally attend. after that, it will be based on W/L and opponent. it has always been this way. it will be worse now since a lot of the locals dont live here anymore and moved away from SFL @TheOriginalCane. the transplants that moved in and destroyed the housing market gives zero ***** about UM. theyll go to a messi MLS game or a heat game to be with the "in crowd". even the fins struggled w attendance issues. football tbh isnt a big market here anymore. w the fins being lackluster for years and canes the same and the heat being a yearly contender, locals are spending their money and time to go there.

i would like more fans at games and i complaiend about the atm attendance. i didnt expect **** for this game so im not sure why you chose THIS game to be mad about fan attendance lol. i get it for atm when we didnt get over 50k there for what should generally be a much more filled game. for this one, its the classic attend for a half and bounce when its on a satruday. this is on a thursday where people have work and school.
Im not talking about soccer fans and fans of Messi, none of that. Im talking about MIAMI Hurricane fans who pick and choose which game to go to or stop going in totality. If you are a cane fan, canes game is the event not the opponent. Yes the marketing is for reach more fans as well but alot of Miami fans attend games like casuals and will do whatever to go to FSU but not Bethune. And yes i posted it after last night but its a general statement on the culture and mindset of Miami fans.

Advertisement
Im not talking about soccer fans and fans of Messi, none of that. Im talking about MIAMI Hurricane fans who pick and choose which game to go to or stop going in totality. If you are a cane fan, canes game is the event not the opponent. Yes the marketing is for reach more fans as well but alot of Miami fans attend games like casuals and will do whatever to go to FSU but not Bethune. And yes i posted it after last night but its a general statement on the culture and mindset of Miami fans.
there are heat fans that pick and choose which game to go. there are dolphins fans that pick and choose which game to go to. why is this any different? maybe a family of four would rahter take their kids to a game vs a better opponent to get a better game and exp than to this one (same as how a heat fan would rather watch the heat vs the lakers/knicks/bucks/cetlics rather than the magic/hawks. anyways, we wont agree to any of this. you have your opinion. i have mine.

Roughly 6 million people live within 1 hour of Hard Rock stadium.
And maybe 1 million of those watch CFB. Maybe. How many watch Canes regularly? How many live in poverty? What's work schedule? Who watches the babies? Transportation? How many are alumni? How many students show up in Miami gardens? 130? Texas A&M that we just played has 36,000 students every game. Apples to oranges man.

You're right. Players deserve better. And that starts with the university, not the fanbase (JMO). Our marketing sucks. This isn't Gainesville. You don't just kick the ball & people automatically come. Get creative. Make it about community.

Advertisement
Back