Miami at ACC Media Day

Advertisement

Lykes and Vasiljevic both weighed in with their thoughts on each other.

“This is my third year with DJ, and I'm starting to kind of feel for where he likes to get his shots, which really is anywhere, especially from three, but playing well off each other,” Lykes said. “If DJ doesn't have it, he's making a quick move and he has easy layups, but if he doesn't have it, he's kicking out. That's what we've been working on in practice is getting in the paint and kicking out for catch and shoot threes, which has been a real emphasis for us this year. But DJ is probably one of the best shooters I've ever seen.”

Vasiljevic? He said “Just to bounce back off Chris, I think we're playing really well together in practice and reading one another really well. I'm creating space on the floor for him really well. By me spacing the floor, it gives him an opportunity to go one-on-one. When my man does help, he does find me for the open shots. I think we're really connecting that way.”Larranaga

The uniforms are growing on me. I am starting to like them more by the day. Winning a game or twenty in them will help also.
I don't like that the jersey stripes don't match the shorts stripes. It looks dumb to me. If the shorts and jersey had the same stripes it'd be fire.

Advertisement
I don't like that the jersey stripes don't match the shorts stripes. It looks dumb to me. If the shorts and jersey had the same stripes it'd be fire.

It is a pattern the goes from spaced on the jersey to solid on the shorts. I guess it depends on your sense of fashion. LOL.

Do you think they are an upgrade compared to last season?

Lykes and Vasiljevic both weighed in with their thoughts on each other.

“This is my third year with DJ, and I'm starting to kind of feel for where he likes to get his shots, which really is anywhere, especially from three, but playing well off each other,” Lykes said. “If DJ doesn't have it, he's making a quick move and he has easy layups, but if he doesn't have it, he's kicking out. That's what we've been working on in practice is getting in the paint and kicking out for catch and shoot threes, which has been a real emphasis for us this year. But DJ is probably one of the best shooters I've ever seen.”

Vasiljevic? He said “Just to bounce back off Chris, I think we're playing really well together in practice and reading one another really well. I'm creating space on the floor for him really well. By me spacing the floor, it gives him an opportunity to go one-on-one. When my man does help, he does find me for the open shots. I think we're really connecting that way.”Larranaga

Can't wait to watch this non existent half court offense again this year!

It is a pattern the goes from spaced on the jersey to solid on the shorts. I guess it depends on your sense of fashion. LOL.

Do you think they are an upgrade compared to last season?
Nope. It looks like we're wearing jerseys and shorts from two different sets of uniforms.

Advertisement

9. Miami, 768

“Our challenge is in our frontcourt.” — Hurricanes coach Jim Larranaga.

I really wish I could find the entire interview as this sounds like Coach L being Coach L. You cannot be the victim when you control the circumstances.

Advertisement

I know, ACC Media Day has passed but Coach L is addressing the media.

Key points:
Stone will not be available until January. Ouch.
Too much talk about next season already. Winning now should be the goal.

Last edited:

Enjoy.

Key points to the press conference.

1. The schedule is tough because the ACC went to 20 games. Not because Miami scheduled tougher opponents in the non-conference schedule.
2. Coach L wants players to earn playing time when he only has 8 healthy bodies. SMH. Earned playing time comes with 13 scholarship players.
3. Rodney Miller will be the most improved player in the ACC, especially since he is starting when he has rarely played at Miami.
4. Rodney played all 30 minutes of a scrimmage where players could not foul out.
5. Coach L said they were looking for everything, yet they could only get a sit out transfer and an injured grad transfer.
6. Keith Stone is not cleared for contact and he has not competed. No set date for him.
7. Miami has not played defense since Bruce Brown was in school. What are the coaches teaching in practice?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Enjoy.

Key points to the press conference.

1. The schedule is tough because the ACC went to 20 games. Not because Miami scheduled tougher opponents in the non-conference schedule.
2. Coach L wants players to earn playing time when he only has 8 healthy bodies. SMH. Earned playing time comes with 13 scholarship players.
3. Rodney Miller will be the most improved player in the ACC, especially since he is starting when he has rarely played at Miami.
4. Rodney played all 30 minutes of a scrimmage where players could not foul out.
5. Coach L said they were looking for everything, yet they could only get a sit out transfer and an injured grad transfer.
6. Keith Stone is not cleared for contact and he has not competed. No set date for him.
7. Miami has not played defense since Bruce Brown was in school. What are the coaches teaching in practice?

Did he say anything about Gak?

As I listen to Blake James speak, I realize he has no idea of what's going on with the basketball team.

Key points:

1. Season tickets have not sold out for the 2nd consecutive year. Due to poor on court performance and marketing (my opinion).
2. Giveaways and promotions have not worked. I am not familiar with either.
3. Academic priority is the reason why students don't attend games.
4. As the AD, he is excited about the basketball season.
5. Last year was Coach L's best coaching job. Seriously. He said that.
6. Allegedly, the bench is deeper this season than last season per Blake James. I agree in certain perspectives.
7. Football is not a total rebuild. Football comes up as a topic during basketball media day.
8. Manny Diaz is the best person for the job. Again, not appropriate during the basketball media day.
9. Manny has made changes to try to win every game. Still not basketball related.
10. Manny and Blake are in regular communication. More football talk during the basketball media day.
11. Katie has the preseason ACC player of the year on the team this season. He knows that much.
12. Student athletes getting paid for likeness will change college. The NCAA slavery days are over but when NCAA slavery ends is unknown.

Advertisement
Back