Miami at ACC Media Day

Thank you for the summaries. I have no interest in listening to L after he completely failed at bringing in desperately needed bigs for this season and we start the season short handed...again. Basketball is clearly another throw away year.

Which brings me to Blake James (who I also have no interest listening to). Why would season tickets sell out for a throw away year? Why would students show up for a throw away year? It's Miami. If you want fannies in the seats, win. Otherwise forget it.

F Manny Diaz.

Optimistic that maybe, through sheer dumb luck, DiMare works out. But Miami athletics is a dumpster fire.

Advertisement
Thank you for the summaries. I have no interest in listening to L after he completely failed at bringing in desperately needed bigs for this season and we start the season short handed...again. Basketball is clearly another throw away year.

Which brings me to Blake James (who I also have no interest listening to). Why would season tickets sell out for a throw away year? Why would students show up for a throw away year? It's Miami. If you want fannies in the seats, win. Otherwise forget it.

F Manny Diaz.

Optimistic that maybe, through sheer dumb luck, DiMare works out. But Miami athletics is a dumpster fire.

I completely understand your frustrations about the situation. Most fans don't realize that Miami only has 8 healthy players just like last season. Brooks sits out because of transfer rules. Truthfully, Coach L did not apply for a waiver because Coach L has all of his eggs in the Rodney Miller basket. Deng Gak and Keith Stone are good players but they are both returning at some point in the season due to ACL injuries.

As much as I like Coach L, he is clearly a mid major coach.

Advertisement

All in on Rodney Miller. Coach L is already campaigning for him to the the Most Improved Player in the ACC.

As I listen to Blake James speak, I realize he has no idea of what's going on with the basketball team.

Of course he doesn't. He's a clueless lazy moron.

Key points:

1. Season tickets have not sold out for the 2nd consecutive year. Due to poor on court performance and marketing (my opinion). This is disappointing, but not surprising.
2. Giveaways and promotions have not worked. I am not familiar with either. What promotions?
3. Academic priority is the reason why students don't attend games. Pffft, that's a joke. Most of our students would rather do anything but attend Canes hoops games, unfortunately. It was the same way when I was a student from 2007-2010, and it's gotten even worse now.
4. As the AD, he is excited about the basketball season. That's a joke.
5. Last year was Coach L's best coaching job. Seriously. He said that. Another joke.
6. Allegedly, the bench is deeper this season than last season per Blake James. I agree in certain perspectives. He couldn't name one player off the bench, no chance
7. Football is not a total rebuild. Football comes up as a topic during basketball media day. Of course it does. He's feeling the heat
8. Manny Diaz is the best person for the job. Again, not appropriate during the basketball media day. Because he doesn;t know a thing about the basketball program
9. Manny has made changes to try to win every game. Still not basketball related.
10. Manny and Blake are in regular communication. More football talk during the basketball media day.
11. Katie has the preseason ACC player of the year on the team this season. He knows that much.
12. Student athletes getting paid for likeness will change college. The NCAA slavery days are over but when NCAA slavery ends is unknown.

I don't understand anything about the roster management. But let's say Rodney Miller suddenly learned how to play basketball during his RS year. Fine. Miller has 2 seasons of eligibility. So why do we want Brooks for Miller's 5th year, when, theoretically, Miller would be even better next season than this season? The whole situation is nonsensical.

Advertisement

As I listen to Blake James speak, I realize he has no idea of what's going on with the basketball team.

Key points:

1. Season tickets have not sold out for the 2nd consecutive year. Due to poor on court performance and marketing (my opinion).
3. Academic priority is the reason why students don't attend games.

#1. This "sellout" claim was always a joke. Or else, 4-5000 UM fans a game - purchasing "season tickets" - regularly decided to forget about the cost of the ticket package and just decided not to attend 75% of the home games.
#3. I guess students at Duke (and elsewhere across the country) have no "academic priorities."

#1. This "sellout" claim was always a joke. Or else, 4-5000 UM fans a game - purchasing "season tickets" - regularly decided to forget about the cost of the ticket package and just decided not to attend 75% of the home games.
#3. I guess students at Duke (and elsewhere across the country) have no "academic priorities."

Blake James is an excuse machine. Put out a mediocre product in Miami (any sport): nobody shows up. End of story.

Blake James is an excuse machine. Put out a mediocre product in Miami (any sport): nobody shows up. End of story.
I can see your point on the attendance in terms of local fans with zero connection to UM. As for students and alums in the area who don't go, I'm baffled. Especially, the students -- many living in short walking distance of the BUC.

I can see your point on the attendance in terms of local fans with zero connection to UM. As for students and alums in the area who don't go, I'm baffled. Especially, the students -- many living in short walking distance of the BUC.

The "why" has always been the question with UM fans. But it doesn't matter at this point. If you aren't winning, the arena/stadium will not be full.

Advertisement
I don't understand anything about the roster management. But let's say Rodney Miller suddenly learned how to play basketball during his RS year. Fine. Miller has 2 seasons of eligibility. So why do we want Brooks for Miller's 5th year, when, theoretically, Miller would be even better next season than this season? The whole situation is nonsensical.

That is actually a pretty good start to you learning about roster management. Let me help you out some. You are correct. It is not ideal to have two seniors at the same position. Roster management is about properly using and distributing your scholarships to give your team the best chance to win "every" season. There should never be any throw away season.

The entire reason for Brooks playing this season is for depth and experience given he has started at Cincinnati. He would have pushed Miller for minutes and made Gak's return less stressful. Also, Miami would have had a 5th scholarship for the 2020 recruiting class. That scholarship could have been used for a freshman big. So for the 2020-21 season, Miami would have Senior Rodney Miller, RS-Jr Deng Gak (healthy) and freshman big.

Unfortunately, Coach L has all of his eggs in the Rodney Miller basket so Coach L has paved the way for Rodney to play 30 plus minutes a game this season. That is a huge jump for a guy who barely has played 30 minutes in the three years he has been at Miami. Actually, huge is not a big enough word to describe the jump Coach L is expecting Rodney Miller to make this season.

Even if Coach L still wanted Brooks to sit out this season, Gak and Stone are recovering from ACL tears and they will not be available at the start of the season. This has been known since the end of last season. However, Coach L failed to use his last two scholarships available for this season for reasons no one will ask so he will not tell.

Add to the fact that 8 losses last season were by 8 points or less. Depth was an issue so two additional guys make a difference.

Roster management is not a rant by disgruntled fans. It is a real issue with the men's basketball program at Miami.

I thought about Duke also when he said that. His entire interview was a PR nightmare.

I asked that same question.

Also, what about Gak? Does he ever play if Miller is so good and both him and Brooks are available next year?

I also want to know how someone improves so much during a RS their third year (keep in mind he was healthy) yet was so useless to play when we had no depth last year.

Advertisement
I asked that same question.

Also, what about Gak? Does he ever play if Miller is so good and both him and Brooks are available next year?

I also want to know how someone improves so much during a RS their third year (keep in mind he was healthy) yet was so useless to play when we had no depth last year.

Coach L is asking a lot of a guy who has barely played 30 minutes for his entire career to play 30 minutes per game. I wonder what potential Coach L sees in Rodney because I have not see it "yet".

2. Giveaways and promotions have not worked. I am not familiar with either.
I agree about the promotions, but look at some of the Lykes films from last season.

I agree about the promotions, but look at some of the Lykes films from last season.

Promotions and giveaways are nothing more that marketing tools. For instance, Miami could have military appreciation day (free to military personal), middle school day (middle school students free) or even doubleheader's with the men's and women's teams playing their games on the same day with an hour in between games. That would work great with a team like UCONN. Potentially, you could have four ranked teams playing each other and one ticket gets you access to both games.

Heck, how about Latino Cultural Day given the large Latino population in the South Florida area. There are literally dozens of other things you can do but ultimately, the product on the floor has to be competitive.

However, I am not familiar nor have I seen it happen recently at Miami.

I suppose when you have to explain it, an attempt at a joke is a failed attempt.

Anyway, in case it really did fly over your head like a banner over Hard Rock, you did say you weren't familiar with any "giveaways", and I was making a feeble joke about Lykes' team-leading turnovers.

Sigh.

Advertisement
Back