MAX SQUAT DAYYY

Advertisement
You can't get a good spot on a squat.

If it goes wrong, it's maybe the most damaging lift you can do

18 year olds standing around cheering is not a recipe for leaving ego out.

The lift itself does nothing at all you you.

You sound like someone who has never squatted before. First of all you can get a great spot on the squat it just takes 3 people to spot you. Second if you get stuck you just dump the weight. I have failed on plenty of 1 rep max squat attempts. You just bail out.

Just lift where you can control the weight, which maxing doesn't do.

Yeah, they need to lift. It's part of the deal. There will be long term damage from it. Let's not make it catastrophic.

(If you're over 40 and still squat heavy, get a CT scan of your vertebrae, please)

Ya because we have so many over 40 year olds on the team. Great advice. I will be sure to make sure all of the senior citizens on Miami football team stay away from heavy squatting.

Bro, toes and heels should both be on the floor and rooted. neither should be coming up at all. and its not the ankles caving people should worry about its the knees

His knees are far from caving lol. That is the reason he has the bands in the first place to strengthen the VMO which helps stop the knees from caving.

Ankles caving is actually a massive stability issue. However, this kids heels are not coming off the ground. Its just a high heeled shoe thats making it look that way.

Advertisement
Its an unnecessary movement imo. Hes not trying to be one of these fitness chicks is he? then no need to do that. Focus on lifts that actually improve athletic performance. Just like for deadlifts I would have these guys all using hook grip or using straps so they dont put themselves at unnecessary risk of tearing a bicep using a mixed grip

That is 100% wrong. It strengthens the VMO it is not something just to get a nicer booty or some schit like that. It is a "prehab" lift.

Second why the fvck would you have guys use straps. The added benefit of forearm and grip strength is great and tearing a bicep on a deadlift is very unlikely as long as you keep your arms straight and use good form.

That is 100% wrong. It strengthens the VMO it is not something just to get a nicer booty or some schit like that. It is a "prehab" lift.

Second why the fvck would you have guys use straps. The added benefit of forearm and grip strength is great and tearing a bicep on a deadlift is very unlikely as long as you keep your arms straight and use good form.

Seen the tears happen. And you create an imbalance if you go for too much volume using the mix grip.

Have no issues with straps. Even competitors use them.

I use mix grip, only when I’m doing my peak 1-rep set or set of reps. Doing double overhand will force you to lower the weights at first, but your grip begins to adapt. Hook grip is an option, but a lot of people are too bothered by the pain. College kids have a limited amount of time to train. No point in keeping that weight too low, because their thumb hurts too much. Or, they can’t go anywhere near their max with straps, since their grip hasn’t adapted with a double overhand.

Seen the tears happen. And you create an imbalance if you go for too much volume using the mix grip.

Have no issues with straps. Even competitors use them.

I use mix grip, only when I’m doing my peak 1-rep set or set of reps. Doing double overhand will force you to lower the weights at first, but your grip begins to adapt. Hook grip is an option, but a lot of people are too bothered by the pain. College kids have a limited amount of time to train. No point in keeping that weight too low, because their thumb hurts too much. Or, they can’t go anywhere near their max with straps, since their grip hasn’t adapted with a double overhand.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to tear your bicep. I just said it is unlikely. Obviously if you try to curl a max deadlift attempt you are going to tear your bicep, but as long as you have no slack in your arms and pull properly it is not going to be an issue.

Plenty of people alternate their mix grips to negate imbalances. So that is clearly an option if you are worried about that.

Competitors use them because in some competitions they are legal so it makes sense to use all the tools available.

For powerlifters that lift in a federation that doesn't allow straps. It is still fine to use straps every once in a while to overload your CNS with extra weight since straps will allow you to use slightly more weight than mixed grip. However, using them all the time will seriously limit your grip development.

Hook grip is fine, but you are not going to be able to pull as much as you can with mixed grip. Personally I use hook for cleans/snatches and I use doiuble overhand for anything until I am getting close to 5 plates. Then I switch to mixed grip for the remaining sets.

Advertisement
His knees are far from caving lol. That is the reason he has the bands in the first place to strengthen the VMO which helps stop the knees from caving.

Ankles caving is actually a massive stability issue. However, this kids heels are not coming off the ground. Its just a high heeled shoe thats making it look that way.
Yea, where did I say his knees were caving in buddy? I'll wait....

I didn't say it wasn't possible to tear your bicep. I just said it is unlikely. Obviously if you try to curl a max deadlift attempt you are going to tear your bicep, but as long as you have no slack in your arms and pull properly it is not going to be an issue.

Plenty of people alternate their mix grips to negate imbalances. So that is clearly an option if you are worried about that.

Competitors use them because in some competitions they are legal so it makes sense to use all the tools available.

For powerlifters that lift in a federation that doesn't allow straps. It is still fine to use straps every once in a while to overload your CNS with extra weight since straps will allow you to use slightly more weight than mixed grip. However, using them all the time will seriously limit your grip development.

Hook grip is fine, but you are not going to be able to pull as much as you can with mixed grip. Personally I use hook for cleans/snatches and I use doiuble overhand for anything until I am getting close to 5 plates. Then I switch to mixed grip for the remaining sets.
No federation uses straps guy. And you can tear your bicep if you have no slack in your arms but please continue to be wrong

Dude you clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. Just an fyi, bicep tears are generally a result of lacking mobility in the shoulder on the hand that is in supination

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Would really love to see you experts post your videos of doing real squats since we have so many accomplished S&C coaches here

This is how it's done. Both in form and spotting technique

YdsbZce.gif

Advertisement
Back