Matchup in the Trenches

Signed up today. I am a ND fan. Not disrespecting Miami but, upon reading the board, there is very little respect for ND. Just trying to add some perspective.

Because you’re a gimmick...literally. Your offense is predicated on running the football and throwing off reads created by your massive rushing attack. We go 8 deep on our D-line with 6 guys that are probably going to be draft picks(UGA and N.C. State don’t go that deep) with two of our starting LB’s bonafide draft picks too...you’re not running for 200 yards against us like you did against N.C. state. We also have three NFL caliber corners on the roster in Mike Jackson, Malek Young, and Dee Delaney on the roster with a stud freshman and a promising JUCO that rotate in as well AND they are all good tacklers.

If we play shallow zone , take away the middle of the field, and force Wimbush/your receivers to be beat our corners to beat us you guys won’t score more than 17 points.

Maybe we won't but FSU, Syracuse, Ga.Tech and Toledo did. I think our Oline (and overall offense) are better than any of those teams mentioned.

- Syracuse got 40% of their yards off 2 broken plays by dungey

- FSU still averaged 4.5 yards for the entire game after their big first half and ran for 69 in the 2nd half

- GT averaged 4.2 a carry and was limited to 1.6 yards a play in the 2nd half....which is the lowest ypp they had in years

- Toledo ran for 85 yards and averaged 2.4....and they have a QB that not only isn5x better than Wimbush but would’ve been ND’s best QB in 20 years.

Another thing about GT, nobody blocks better as a unit than them PERIOD so FYI you have more talent than them but nobody will ever be a better blocking unit than GT because of how they play...

Unfortunately, ND plays Navy every year and they block just as well, believe me.

Advertisement
He and the guard Nelson are 1st round picks. It will probably be Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton.
Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton are more often on the other side of the line. It will be Joe Jackson and RJ Mcintosh.

It better not be....they’ll get killed
You don't randomly change your defensive positions based on the other team's lineup. Joe Jackson plays RDE more often and faces the other teams' LTs. Why do you think they will "get killed?"

Right. We almost never switch sides at DE. That might change next year after losing Harris and Thomas but anyway...

JJax and Mcintosh will be lined up with ND's top guys. Will be interesting to see the matchup.

He and the guard Nelson are 1st round picks. It will probably be Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton.
Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton are more often on the other side of the line. It will be Joe Jackson and RJ Mcintosh.

You don't randomly change your defensive positions based on the other team's lineup. Joe Jackson plays RDE more often and faces the other teams' LTs. Why do you think they will "get killed?"

Because they’ll double RJ because McGlinchey would be pancaking Joe Jack all game...he’s not only the best LT in this draft, he’s also the best run blocking LT in the country and Joe Jack is not a strong run defender

Because they’ll double RJ because McGlinchey would be pancaking Joe Jack all game...he’s not only the best LT in this draft, he’s also the best run blocking LT in the country and Joe Jack is not a strong run defender
So your solution is to move our best SSDE to the Viper position where he's expected to stand up, be flexible and bend the edge? We then move our Viper to SSDE and have him crushed on those responsibilities?

I don't see the logic.

So your solution is to move our best SSDE to the Viper position where he's expected to stand up, be flexible and bend the edge? We then move our Viper to SSDE and have him crushed on those responsibilities?

I don't see the logic.

No, you limit the use of the viper position and switch it to the right(which we do anyway) and play Trent and Chad more on that side. Chad plays there all the time even though that’s not his position...

Last edited:
Advertisement
McGlinchey is good, but their best lineman is LG Quenton Nelson according to most draft analysts. The battle on that side will determine who wins this game.

My god you are in love with the ND offensive line. You can't seem to stop gushing over them.

Uhhh, maybe because they are good?

Shoo shoo

tenor.gif

Signed up today. I am a ND fan. Not disrespecting Miami but, upon reading the board, there is very little respect for ND. Just trying to add some perspective.

Because you’re a gimmick...literally. Your offense is predicated on running the football and throwing off reads created by your massive rushing attack. We go 8 deep on our D-line with 6 guys that are probably going to be draft picks(UGA and N.C. State don’t go that deep) with two of our starting LB’s bonafide draft picks too...you’re not running for 200 yards against us like you did against N.C. state. We also have three NFL caliber corners on the roster in Mike Jackson, Malek Young, and Dee Delaney on the roster with a stud freshman and a promising JUCO that rotate in as well AND they are all good tacklers.

If we play shallow zone , take away the middle of the field, and force Wimbush/your receivers to be beat our corners to beat us you guys won’t score more than 17 points.

Maybe we won't but FSU, Syracuse, Ga.Tech and Toledo did. I think our Oline (and overall offense) are better than any of those teams mentioned.

Toledo didn't rush for 200 yards on Miami (Toledo had 34 rushes for 102 yards). Do you even know how to read a stat sheet? And I don't know if you know this because you might very well be a simpleton..Ga. Tech is a triple option team.

I stand corrected about Toledo, my bad, but what does Ga. Tech being a triple option team have to do with anything. They run for 7 yds more per game. My question is what happens if Wimbush does connect early on passes?

The point is that we held GT to under half of their rushing average, and after their first three drives--10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter--they gaind 56 yards on their last 43 plays. What sort of chances do you give ND if Miami holds you to under half your rushing average?

Talk about disrespect. Go take a look a domerdomain forum. The way they’re talking about the game, we shouldn’t even show up

There LT may be good but fresh legs always win...........too many dogs to rotate they will get tired

Advertisement
For the Irish fan:
Here is one thing you can bank on. Whatever you get in the first half will be negated in the second half. Diaz and this staff as whole are the one best in county at half time adjustments.

So in other words, if Miami has the lead or tied going into half time, game over. So you better pray you have a big lead at half time.

You must be young. We freaking hate ND and will never ever respect them. Part of the rivalry dude

I don't see the logic.

No, you limit the use of the viper position and switch it to the right(which we do anyway) and play Trent and Chad more on that side. Chad plays there all the time even though that’s not his position...
Let me get this straight:

- limit the use of a RDE in our system?
- "switch it to the right," where it's already there
- Play Chad Thomas out of position?

I don't think this conversation is going anywhere, so I'll just drop it.

Advertisement

I don't see the logic.

How are we playing Chad Thomas out of position when he already take snaps at LE anyways?

and I also think you need to go reread what I said

Last edited:

I don't see the logic.

How are we playing Chad Thomas out of position when he already take snaps at LE anyways?

You're clearly confused between where a LDE lines up and where a RDE lines up. A LDE doesn't line up over the LT. You're asking Chad Thomas to play out of position. I'm not.

Consider not telling anyone what they "need" to do.

Advertisement

I don't see the logic.

You're clearly confused between where a LDE lines up and where a RDE lines up. A LDE doesn't line up over the LT. You're asking Chad Thomas to play out of position. I'm not.

4-3_20under.jpg

OverAlignment_zps14a79e27.0.jpg

4-3-Under-Vs-2-Tights-Wing-Formations.jpg

You should consider the same since you don’t know how to switch alignments from 4-3 over to 4-3 under which also switch assignments for the DE’s

Last edited:

View attachment 53454

View attachment 53455

You should consider the same since you don’t know how to switch alignments
First of all, I didn't tell anyone they needed to do anything. You did in full-blown irony. I was trying to be nice. I actually tried to drop it. But your pictures don't prove anything to contradict you've been suggesting the LDE lines up over the LT. The RDE lines up over the LT. Just because you found some picture and you personally view the DE on the right side of that picture, doesn't make that player the RDE in the context we had discussed.

Conventional theory tells us that the left tackle is more important because a right-handed quarterback is unable to see the left tackle’s battle with the right defensive end while the right tackle and left defensive end should be in clear vision.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/examining-pressure-are-left-tackles-overvalued

If you really want to get into a reference war over where the RDE lines up, count me in. You can switch Chad Thomas over to play RDE "because ND has a strong LT," but then you're taking him away from his more natural position and spot.

View attachment 53454

View attachment 53455

You should consider the same since you don’t know how to switch alignments
First of all, I didn't tell anyone they needed to do anything. You did in full-blown irony. I was trying to be nice. I actually tried to drop it. But your pictures don't prove anything to contradict you've been suggesting the LDE lines up over the LT. The RDE lines up over the LT. Just because you found some flawed picture and you personally view the DE on the right side of that picture, doesn't make that player the RDE.

Conventional theory tells us that the left tackle is more important because a right-handed quarterback is unable to see the left tackle’s battle with the right defensive end while the right tackle and left defensive end should be in clear vision.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/examining-pressure-are-left-tackles-overvalued

If you really want to get into a reference war over where the RDE lines up, count me in. You can switch Chad Thomas over to play RDE "because ND has a strong LT," but then you're taking him away from his more natural position and spot.

It doesn’t change if you play 4-3 under

Advertisement
Back