Matchup in the Trenches

Signed up today. I am a ND fan. Not disrespecting Miami but, upon reading the board, there is very little respect for ND. Just trying to add some perspective.

Because you’re a gimmick...literally. Your offense is predicated on running the football and throwing off reads created by your massive rushing attack. We go 8 deep on our D-line with 6 guys that are probably going to be draft picks(UGA and N.C. State don’t go that deep) with two of our starting LB’s bonafide draft picks too...you’re not running for 200 yards against us like you did against N.C. state. We also have three NFL caliber corners on the roster in Mike Jackson, Malek Young, and Dee Delaney on the roster with a stud freshman and a promising JUCO that rotate in as well AND they are all good tacklers.

If we play shallow zone , take away the middle of the field, and force Wimbush/your receivers to be beat our corners to beat us you guys won’t score more than 17 points.

Maybe we won't but FSU, Syracuse, Ga.Tech and Toledo did. I think our Oline (and overall offense) are better than any of those teams mentioned.

Advertisement
I'm sure ND will get their yards and I won't be surprised if they run for 200+ on us. They have a bigger threat to run at QB and their OL and RBs are better than VT's - also a one dimensional team. The bigger issue is containment of Wimbush, force him into mistakes and be efficient on offense. We do that, game is a wrap.

I'm sure ND will get their yards and I won't be surprised if they run for 200+ on us. They have a bigger threat to run at QB and their OL and RBs are better than VT's - also a one dimensional team. The bigger issue is containment of Wimbush, force him into mistakes and be efficient on offense. We do that, game is a wrap.

I think that could be said about your QB too

McGlinchey was beaten a few times, including giving up one HUGE strip sack to seal the game for UGA vs Davin Bellamy who is a talented rusher but Joe Jackson is better. I just hope they call holding this game.

What conference is officiating this game?

They’ll all be Irish refs. I remember when we played them in Chicago and the refs last name was like Sullivan or some sh#t. I knew what time it was.

Advertisement
Signed up today. I am a ND fan. Not disrespecting Miami but, upon reading the board, there is very little respect for ND. Just trying to add some perspective.

Because you’re a gimmick...literally. Your offense is predicated on running the football and throwing off reads created by your massive rushing attack. We go 8 deep on our D-line with 6 guys that are probably going to be draft picks(UGA and N.C. State don’t go that deep) with two of our starting LB’s bonafide draft picks too...you’re not running for 200 yards against us like you did against N.C. state. We also have three NFL caliber corners on the roster in Mike Jackson, Malek Young, and Dee Delaney on the roster with a stud freshman and a promising JUCO that rotate in as well AND they are all good tacklers.

If we play shallow zone , take away the middle of the field, and force Wimbush/your receivers to be beat our corners to beat us you guys won’t score more than 17 points.

Maybe we won't but FSU, Syracuse, Ga.Tech and Toledo did. I think our Oline (and overall offense) are better than any of those teams mentioned.

Toledo didn't rush for 200 yards on Miami (Toledo had 34 rushes for 102 yards). Do you even know how to read a stat sheet? And I don't know if you know this because you might very well be a simpleton..Ga. Tech is a triple option team.

I think that could be said about your QB too

In a way, sure. But the difference is that Rosier is more of a passer than Wimbush. We contain Wimbush in the running game, I don't think you have a shot. Rosier, otoh, although nimble on his feet, is not a true runner. We've already shown that he can throw INTs (3) and overcome it. So, even if you force Rosier into some INTs, I think if Wimbush is not a threat to run the ball, the game will clearly be in our favor since he's not going to "out pass" us. That was my context.

Florida State: Yes.

Syracuse: Miami also held them to their lowest passing total for the year (Which they are Top 20 in). So the defense sold out the pass and allowed the run to go off.

Georgia Tech: ...really? You're really using a triple option team, that is top 5 in rushing yards a game as an example. Even so, Miami held them to 100 yards less than their average.

Toledo: They ran for 85 yards...

Advertisement

Toledo didn't rush for 200 yards on Miami (Toledo had 34 rushes for 102 yards). Do you even know how to read a stat sheet? And I don't know if you know this because you might very well be a simpleton..Ga. Tech is a triple option team.

I stand corrected about Toledo, my bad, but what does Ga. Tech being a triple option team have to do with anything. They run for 7 yds more per game. My question is what happens if Wimbush does connect early on passes?

I stand corrected about Toledo, my bad, but what does Ga. Tech being a triple option team have to do with anything. They run for 7 yds more per game. My question is what happens if Wimbush does connect early on passes?

It has to do with the fact that rushing stats can become skewed when you play a triple option team. If a team is going to rush the ball for 50+ times a game it's not too far fetched to think they may reach 200 yards rushing.

Advertisement

It has to do with the fact that rushing stats can become skewed when you play a triple option team. If a team is going to rush the ball for 50+ times a game it's not too far fetched to think they may reach 200 yards rushing.
Yards per rush is a better metric. But, I guess this board just doesn't want to accept context. We're not 'amazing' there either, but better than total rush yards. We're at about 4 yards per carry. And, about 37th in the nation.

Last edited:
He and the guard Nelson are 1st round picks. It will probably be Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton.
Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton are more often on the other side of the line. It will be Joe Jackson and RJ Mcintosh.

Advertisement

- Syracuse got 40% of their yards off 2 broken plays by dungey

- FSU still averaged 4.5 yards for the entire game after their big first half and ran for 69 in the 2nd half

- GT averaged 4.2 a carry and was limited to 1.6 yards a play in the 2nd half....which is the lowest ypp they had in years

- Toledo ran for 85 yards and averaged 2.4....and they have a QB that not only isn5x better than Wimbush but would’ve been ND’s best QB in 20 years.

Another thing about GT, nobody blocks better as a unit than them PERIOD so FYI you have more talent than them but nobody will ever be a better blocking unit than GT because of how they play...

He and the guard Nelson are 1st round picks. It will probably be Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton.
Chad Thomas and Kendrick Norton are more often on the other side of the line. It will be Joe Jackson and RJ Mcintosh.

It better not be....they’ll get killed
You don't randomly change your defensive positions based on the other team's lineup. Joe Jackson plays RDE more often and faces the other teams' LTs. Why do you think they will "get killed?"

Advertisement
Back