Off-Topic Mass killings

Advertisement
Ok, I just want to state, that this is an entirely different discussion. I am not sure what changed over the last 50 years or so that has caused murders to go down, yet caused a new group to spring up with these mass shootings. I have no idea and never claimed to know. What do you make of it?

My unproven theory is publicity. What’s different now than 50 or 60 or 70 years ago. All day news streaming, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, live-streaming, etc… you get the message. Maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong but nobody’s talking about it. Marshall McLuhan.

My unproven theory is publicity. What’s different now than 50 or 60 or 70 years ago. All day news streaming, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, live-streaming, etc… you get the message. Maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong but nobody’s talking about it. Marshall McLuhan.
Yup and people still talk about the colombine guys. ALl these years later. They are even sometimes sympathized with like they were losers with no friends and bullied. When in reality they actually had a bunch of friends and weren't really bullied.

yes, I have read some good theories on why murders are going down, but I wonder why mass shootings are going up. That was what I was wondering.

As far as guns being the problem. I do think they are part of the problem, because most of these guys wouldn't be able to kill a lot of people without them. However, I don't think banning them is the solution. I am a big 2A guy, and as mentioned before have flown all over the country to train at places like gunsite, thudner ranch, academi, Sig SAuer Academy, Rogers shooting, etc. So I am not some guy who never shot a gun before and doesn't know what I am talking about regarding shooting lol.
Then what are we even debating? We're on the same page.

Advertisement
Then what are we even debating? We're on the same page.
IDK lol. You were debating with me lmao. I was just telling Paksat he can't be using data from the 1500s to prove his point. IDC if one agrees or disagrees with my point. If you come up with a halfbaked theory or spread fake news or something like that. You are getting called out by me, even if it supports my agenda. lol.

Americans had access to weapons of mass-casualty for nearly two centuries.

Mass shootings in America are a recent phenomena... what do you make of that?

That’s a real semantical wordsmith there. I challenge that notion. I’m curious what you call a “weapon of mass casualty”.

You'd be wrong.

Show me that there is not more of a proliferation of guns now and accessibility compared to 30-40 years ago (heck, 20).

E4512634-AB7E-4AC7-9D21-5F9CF748ACD7.png

This is the Texas shooter. Definitely seems to be some mental issues there.

I assume you’re really angry but this comes off as callous and unserious. It’s like using the definition of homeostasis to justify or demonize abortion. I know nobody here would do that.

I had to pull my car over I was crying so hard over Sandy Hook. I’ve never owned a gun, but I’m generally pro 2A. I’ve lived around insanely high “guns per capita” areas my whole life, all with considerably low violent crime rates. And yet, if children in an elementary school still cannot be protected from this horror ten years later, we do not live in a civilized world. We live at a buffet for murderous cosplayers.

There must be a way to seriously decrease these attacks. If there isn’t, probably for the first time in my life, Id be in favor of increasing gun restrictions in a way that would deter or eliminate these slaughters. (Or in public torturing of the predator to dispel the power fantasy these monsters are enacting.)

I know the issues with increasing “gun control” measures right out of the gate. Law breakers break laws, and areas with tighter restrictions do not necessarily have less gun violence. But what we are in the midst of, with mentally and spiritually destitute young men carrying out acts of war on helpless people, cannot be acceptable in modern civilization. There most be a way to decrease or eliminate these attacks, and I’m not smart enough to know what they are (aside from the torture).

I do not know what the solution is. I do not want gun rights to go away. I cannot say “look, society is broken so this stuff is going to happen” any longer. There has to be a smarter, more effective way to handle this. I know hundreds of gun owners and the only one whose ever committed an act of violence with his weapon did so in self defense.

I have multiple children in elementary school and my heart is shattered for these kids, these parents, the community. The classmates and best buddies that are gone forever, the parents who feel they have lost the very reason they exist, all while they were away. Harming the helpless is the most devious thing mankind can do. Helping them is among the most noble. There has to be a way to balance the scales.
I 100% feel you right now. It was surprisingly hard not to cry today reading about this tragedy. And since then the numbers have gone up. I can't resolve shooting little old ladies in church, people getting groceries, or kids in school. And people just keep getting further and further apart. For a society that's so up in everyone else's business, most people have no ******* clue what's going on around them.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." K

Advertisement
No need to get so triggered. Thanks for providing stats to back up your point.
Sorry If I didn't prove a negative manifested from your confirmation bias.
Do you want to have a real debate on gun laws vs accessibility in the last 30 years... go?

I predict you wont respond with your opening salvo.

Advertisement
Can a gun issue and mental health issue not coexist at the same time?
Not when guns don't kill people they can't. Its just weird how the rest of the western countries also have some level of mental health issues/play video games/have social media/ are on antipsychotics but seem to have found so few other ways to kill kids at school.

Maybe the NRA can sort it out at their annual meeting in Houston this weekend.

Advertisement
When I was a teen I could go to Roses and buy an SKS and ammo to feed it...
Can I do that today as easily in the same state??! ****-the-fu-no.
You soft-shouldered liberals didn't grow up breaking chicken necks or shooting turkeys or bucks. Hence your fear of boom-sticks.
Thats because the eastern bloc guns are all but dried up at this point. You could have bought a mosin nagant or an SKS for 80 bucks 10 years ago in NY. I can't do that anymore, but I can go buy an AR just as easily.

I don't see how breaking chicken necks or shooting bucks makes you any better at shooting either. I never hunted a day in my life, never plan too. That time would be much better spent running drills at the range. And breaking chickens necks certainly won't get you better at shooting. The further left you go, generally speaking, the more weaponry they have. Conservatives aren't the only ones with guns, they just like to speak about it more and a lot of the most outspoken ones can't even run a sub 17 3mile lmao.

• After further inspection of the deceased suspect’s clothing, it now appears the suspect was not wearing body armor as previous information had indicated. Instead, Ramos is said to have been wearing only a plate carrier with no ballistic armor inside when he exchanged gun fire with several officers at the school.

We all know Americans are nowhere close to compromising on the 2a. Maybe in meantime the talking heads in DC could take some 40 billion dollars and work towards putting trained, armed guards in every school. You know - doing something productive with the dollars they extort from us.

Advertisement
Back