Mass exodus at USC?

i have sympathy because i feel like usc is almost a west coast version of miami. they are treated with a different standard by press and ncaa. that being said, i dont want a kid who punch is coach. i wanted that last year but i like mark richt so no thanks.

The comparison is a good one but there is one major difference (aside from our massive advantage in actual winning in the last 30 years) and that's money. The USC alumni and booster base is at the elite level. That's why I mentioned their **** poor record with AD's. It really has taken some total mismanagement in their sports administration to not have more major success outside of that little run with Leinart and Bush- regardless of their "cloud". That said, you're absolutely correct that the NCAA shows them as much disrespect as they've shown us.

Advertisement
"The spread is a texas offense"

Okay buddy

"The grandfather of the spread offense is Rusty Russell, a graduate of Howard Payne University, in Brownwood, Texas, and coach of Fort Worth's Masonic Home and School for orphaned boys. Russell began coaching Masonic Home in 1927, and due to the fact that his teams were often over matched physically by other schools, they were called the "Mighty Mites". While there, he deployed the earliest form of a spread offense to great success.[1] Russell's team is the subject of a book by author Jim Dent entitled, Twelve Mighty Orphans: The Inspiring True Story of the Mighty Mites Who Ruled Texas Football.[2]

In 1952 TCU coaching legend Leo "Dutch" Meyer wrote a book entitled Spread Formation Football, detailing his ideas about football formations, in which the first sentence was, "Spread formations are not new to football."[3] Meyer's book introduced the spread to the college game. Leo “Dutch” Meyer, who inspired Don Coryell among others, wrote about his theories for football offenses. In his seminal 1952 work entitled Spread Formation Football, Meyer encapsulated some of the lessons learned during his almost two decades coaching legendary football players like Sammy Baugh and Davey O’Brien at Texas Christian University. By lining his receivers and occasionally his backs outside the “box” surrounding the quarterback and the center at the line of scrimmage in a formation that has come to be known as the “Meyer Spread,” also known as the double wing formation, Meyer discovered that it forced defenses to respond by spreading their players. That in turn created natural holes in the line and seams in the defensive secondary. Spreading out the defense reduced the need for power blocking by undersized linemen."

OK buddy. You'd have to be a total f*cking moron not to know that. We're the only state where it's the go-to offense for high schools, that should also tell you something on top of the plethora of offensive gurus that have come out of here. I'm not sure why you'd get offended by that anyway little guy...Florida's a pro style state and always has been.

Have you ever watched a Florida HS football game?

"The spread is a texas offense"

Okay buddy

"The grandfather of the spread offense is Rusty Russell, a graduate of Howard Payne University, in Brownwood, Texas, and coach of Fort Worth's Masonic Home and School for orphaned boys. Russell began coaching Masonic Home in 1927, and due to the fact that his teams were often over matched physically by other schools, they were called the "Mighty Mites". While there, he deployed the earliest form of a spread offense to great success.[1] Russell's team is the subject of a book by author Jim Dent entitled, Twelve Mighty Orphans: The Inspiring True Story of the Mighty Mites Who Ruled Texas Football.[2]

In 1952 TCU coaching legend Leo "Dutch" Meyer wrote a book entitled Spread Formation Football, detailing his ideas about football formations, in which the first sentence was, "Spread formations are not new to football."[3] Meyer's book introduced the spread to the college game. Leo “Dutch” Meyer, who inspired Don Coryell among others, wrote about his theories for football offenses. In his seminal 1952 work entitled Spread Formation Football, Meyer encapsulated some of the lessons learned during his almost two decades coaching legendary football players like Sammy Baugh and Davey O’Brien at Texas Christian University. By lining his receivers and occasionally his backs outside the “box” surrounding the quarterback and the center at the line of scrimmage in a formation that has come to be known as the “Meyer Spread,” also known as the double wing formation, Meyer discovered that it forced defenses to respond by spreading their players. That in turn created natural holes in the line and seams in the defensive secondary. Spreading out the defense reduced the need for power blocking by undersized linemen."

OK buddy. You'd have to be a total f*cking moron not to know that. We're the only state where it's the go-to offense for high schools, that should also tell you something on top of the plethora of offensive gurus that have come out of here. I'm not sure why you'd get offended by that anyway little guy...Florida's a pro style state and always has been.

Have you ever watched a Florida HS football game

We will all remember forever those recent titles won by Spread squads from the state of Texas including Ohio State, Florida and Auburn.

THis might be the perfect time for Pete to leave the Seahawks and go back to SC. THe **** that's going down with RUssel Wilson and that locker room is just crazy

I'm sure the NCAA would love to see him back now that he's kept his nose clean in the NFL for a few years.

It's crazy how far they have fallen. If you go by Recruiting rankings they have a top 5 team talent use but you would never know by watching them play. Their situation was far worse than Miamis has ever been. Kids trying to transfer, getting blown out by everybody and a horrible coaching staff as well

Advertisement
I don't understand why they kept Clay Helton around? There were better options and Helton didn't exactly pull an Ed Orgeron. I hate USC anyway, so it's funny to see this happen to them, but still, it's a little bizarre.

As i recall when USC had the job opening there was not much interest from potential coaches, and then they had to settle to stop embarassing themselves.

If track record means anything then this will probably be their next hire.....and they'll continue being irrelevant. I guess it depends on Swann's ability to think outside of their obvious little bubble there but I'm sure this clown and Del Rio will be mentioned as they are everytime there's an opening there.

pi-nfl-rams-jeff-fisher-11232014.vresize.1200.675.high.51.jpg

Brock I typically don't descend on individual posts like this and yours I know was made out of hand, but if you check the records of our Canes and compare them with the Trojans since 2010 you'll see that we've actually lost 6 more games than they have - roughly one per season on average. However, during that span they never lost 7 games as we did in 2014. We also currently have more players in the NFL than they do, which implies that we too have been bringing in top talent. I contend that we've had a tougher go of it than USC. We've had to overcome multiple bad staffs, NCAA nonsense, an administrations that undermined the football program with managerial malfeasance, and a national media that hopes we forever remain a 5 to 6 loss team. There is a clear and present desire amongst the talking heads in the media to see USC be successful again. There is no such love affair with our beloved Canes.

I see where other posters are predicting USC's doom under Helton. I still think it's too early to tell. No one predicted they would beat either Alabama or Stanford this season. Both of those teams would be a tough out for USC with good coaching. Lots of football left to be played this season before we'll know what they are. But even if Helton turns out to be a bad coach, if USC gets the right coach in place it would not take them any longer to claim back into contention than it will us and for the same reasons: they have a legacy of success at the highest level of the sport and they have a tremendously fertile recruiting ground.

It's crazy how far they have fallen. If you go by Recruiting rankings they have a top 5 team talent use but you would never know by watching them play. Their situation was far worse than Miamis has ever been. Kids trying to transfer, getting blown out by everybody and a horrible coaching staff as well

Advertisement
Brock I typically don't descend on individual posts like this and yours I know was made out of hand, but if you check the records of our Canes and compare them with the Trojans since 2010 you'll see that we've actually lost 6 more games than they have - roughly one per season on average. However, during that span they never lost 7 games as we did in 2014. We also currently have more players in the NFL than they do, which implies that we too have been bringing in top talent. I contend that we've had a tougher go of it than USC. We've had to overcome multiple bad staffs, NCAA nonsense, an administrations that undermined the football program with managerial malfeasance, and a national media that hopes we forever remain a 5 to 6 loss team. There is a clear and present desire amongst the talking heads in the media to see USC be successful again. There is no such love affair with our beloved Canes.

I see where other posters are predicting USC's doom under Helton. I still think it's too early to tell. No one predicted they would beat either Alabama or Stanford this season. Both of those teams would be a tough out for USC with good coaching. Lots of football left to be played this season before we'll know what they are. But even if Helton turns out to be a bad coach, if USC gets the right coach in place it would not take them any longer to claim back into contention than it will us and for the same reasons: they have a legacy of success at the highest level of the sport and they have a tremendously fertile recruiting ground.

You're absolutely right about their potential* to rise quickly back to prominence. They have financial AND geographical advantages combined with history that would allow it. Carroll excluded, they've made some real boneheaded coaching decisions the last couple of decades though. People use the phrase a lot that "college football is better when "x school" is good" but I really do think that it applies to USC and Miami for a myriad of reasons so I do hope that Swann ends up doing well there as AD.

Lynn Swan was a garbage hire. Nice guy, but no experience. The donors run that program anyway. I think they hired Helton because they are just waiting for Chip Kelly to quit the 49ers.

Advertisement
Back