Mass exodus at USC?

Granted I am not following the politics of the Big 12 or whether they want Houston. Apparently the Big 12 wants to bring in 2 more schools. If it becomes clear (this season) that Houston will not be picked or that they don't expand this year, doesn't that change things "slightly".

I don't know what Herman is thinking or what he wants. Maybe he loves being a god at UH. Maybe he knows UH's limits. He probably could have almost any job and maybe even a pro job.

With that said, if USC wants to, I don't see why they couldn't pay him $6MM/per and pay for his buyout.

I can't see how UH is left out. It gives the Big 12 another serious contender in the Big 12 to make the playoffs, so long as they have Herman. As has been mentioned before, if UH is in the Big 12, Herman's staying there long term. If they don't get invited to a P5 conference, I give him another 2 years to stays at UH. Because at that time, he'll likely go undefeated one year and a couple 1-loss power 5 conference teams will make it in over his team due to strength of schedule. It will be a sad pill to swallow for Herman.

Advertisement
They are only 3 point dogs to Utah at Utah, sounds like we can make a little money betting on the Utes

They could've had Herman or Petersen but their AD said the job was too big for them lol.

Herman isn't gonna go to them. Houston is willing to pay him $5 million that ship has sailed.

if they really want to win then go after Art Briles. Sure he's got some baggage but he's going to get a job sooner than later, might as well get him before another school does.

Granted I am not following the politics of the Big 12 or whether they want Houston. Apparently the Big 12 wants to bring in 2 more schools. If it becomes clear (this season) that Houston will not be picked or that they don't expand this year, doesn't that change things "slightly".

I don't know what Herman is thinking or what he wants. Maybe he loves being a god at UH. Maybe he knows UH's limits. He probably could have almost any job and maybe even a pro job.

With that said, if USC wants to, I don't see why they couldn't pay him $6MM/per and pay for his buyout.
If Houston doesn't get in the Big 12 then I think Herman jumps to Texas. I highly doubt he goes to USC.

Advertisement
Briles cannot go to USC at this point, for the same reason we ended up with Golden.
Aren't they finished with their probation?

I see no reason why they can't. At some point you have to take a little heat to start winning. A real AD hires Briles and tells anyone that speaks against it to **** themselves. That's what the Louisville AD did. It may not be exactly the same but the heat always dies down.

I thought Shalala retired? Didn't know she just relocated to LA. Only way to explain what is going on at USC right now. Straight dumpster fire.

They should go after Herman. Offer him $6MM.

Yup i've been calling that for awhile. Herman would destroy at USC. Perfect fit. As long as Houston is paying him top$$ there's no incentive for him to leave for any school but a blue blood like USC. I just don't see an instate move to Texas or A&M being worth it. He's already got the state of Texas in the palm of his hand.

I was born and still live in Texas. I know a lot about HS and college ball. I'm also a Texas fan. Herman's not a perfect fit at USC for a few reasons. First, he runs the spread, a Texas offense. USC has always run a pro style offense, but they could break with that. I really don't know what kind of offenses they run in high school in Cali, but that is a major factor. Players in high school here are more developed than other parts of the country, and they're used to the spread and offense he runs. That's another big part.

Lastly, his recruiting has not been good compared to Texas, A&M, or even TCU or Baylor. He's gotten a bunch of 3 stars, the 1 5 star DT had committed to UH long before Herman got there. His brother played at UH. Houston was also the favorite to win the conference before he got there...and we've seen with coaches at UH they always go to Texas schools. Kingsbury, Briles, Sumlin. On top of that Herman was a grad assistant under Mack Brown in 2005, where he got "his" offense in the first place. He's also coached at about 3 or 4 other small Texas schools. He came here for a reason. Just thought I'd clear that up before I read anymore false information.

You reference UH coaches going to texas schools and literally every single one of them will be probably be fired or gone this year or next. Westcoast athletes are born for the spread and Herman would have roots already planted in Texas and Ohio for recruiting. I'm not even sure why you're referencing his recruiting at UH he's only been there 2 cycles and i'm sure everyone can agree when gets to blue blood school recruits will lining up to play for him. I don't know why being a graduate assistant for 1 year under mack brown 16 years ago has any relevance. I'm sure he learned far more from Urban Meyer as an actual OC.

Finally the bottom line is USC is a better job then Texas period.

Advertisement
Briles cannot go to USC at this point, for the same reason we ended up with Golden.

I see no reason why they can't. At some point you have to take a little heat to start winning. A real AD hires Briles and tells anyone that speaks against it to **** themselves. That's what the Louisville AD did. It may not be exactly the same but the heat always dies down.

Petrino had a consensual extra-marital affair with an adult. Briles covered up multiple rapes. Huge huge difference. I agree he's an incredible football coach, but he's going to have to restart his career at a level much lower than USC.

Petrino had a consensual extra-marital affair with an adult. Briles covered up multiple rapes. Huge huge difference. I agree he's an incredible football coach, but he's going to have to restart his career at a level much lower than USC.

Yep, apples to rocks comparison.

Briles is untouchable

They could've had Herman or Petersen but their AD said the job was too big for them lol.

Herman isn't gonna go to them. Houston is willing to pay him $5 million that ship has sailed.

if they really want to win then go after Art Briles. Sure he's got some baggage but he's going to get a job sooner than later, might as well get him before another school does.

How the **** does Huston have $5 mil, and why didn't they buy a good coach sooner?

Advertisement
"The spread is a texas offense"

Okay buddy

"The grandfather of the spread offense is Rusty Russell, a graduate of Howard Payne University, in Brownwood, Texas, and coach of Fort Worth's Masonic Home and School for orphaned boys. Russell began coaching Masonic Home in 1927, and due to the fact that his teams were often over matched physically by other schools, they were called the "Mighty Mites". While there, he deployed the earliest form of a spread offense to great success.[1] Russell's team is the subject of a book by author Jim Dent entitled, Twelve Mighty Orphans: The Inspiring True Story of the Mighty Mites Who Ruled Texas Football.[2]

In 1952 TCU coaching legend Leo "Dutch" Meyer wrote a book entitled Spread Formation Football, detailing his ideas about football formations, in which the first sentence was, "Spread formations are not new to football."[3] Meyer's book introduced the spread to the college game. Leo “Dutch” Meyer, who inspired Don Coryell among others, wrote about his theories for football offenses. In his seminal 1952 work entitled Spread Formation Football, Meyer encapsulated some of the lessons learned during his almost two decades coaching legendary football players like Sammy Baugh and Davey O’Brien at Texas Christian University. By lining his receivers and occasionally his backs outside the “box” surrounding the quarterback and the center at the line of scrimmage in a formation that has come to be known as the “Meyer Spread,” also known as the double wing formation, Meyer discovered that it forced defenses to respond by spreading their players. That in turn created natural holes in the line and seams in the defensive secondary. Spreading out the defense reduced the need for power blocking by undersized linemen."

OK buddy. You'd have to be a total f*cking moron not to know that. We're the only state where it's the go-to offense for high schools, that should also tell you something on top of the plethora of offensive gurus that have come out of here. I'm not sure why you'd get offended by that anyway little guy...Florida's a pro style state and always has been.

They should go after Herman. Offer him $6MM.
Finally the bottom line is USC is a better job then Texas period.

Well, that's like, your opinion man. USC is a dumpster fire, much worse off than Texas right now, and our school has an actual fanbase/$$$ to back it up during the bad times. USC's fans are among the worst in the nation, they don't even post on their boards when they're bad. They just bail. Hate to rain on your ill-informed parade, and I'm not sure why you care about USC anyway. Boo hoo.

Advertisement
All this is overblown. Everybody tried to stick the knife in us under Shannon, then under Golden. Beat FSU and GT and we are back in the top 10 and looking at playoffs. If USC hires a coach like Patterson or Peterson, or even a NFL coach. They are right back in it. They have the same fans we have, or any other team. If you in a pro diverse town. When the team is down, fans find other **** to do. This is not Auburn or Gainesville where there is literally nothing else. Lots of young kids remember when they were banging even though it's going on a decade. People are too quick to throw dirt on a program grave.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

herman isn't gonna be there in 2 years. gonna follow urban's path and bolt after a 2 years on the job

THis might be the perfect time for Pete to leave the Seahawks and go back to SC. THe **** that's going down with RUssel Wilson and that locker room is just crazy

Advertisement
Back