Mass exodus at USC?

Advertisement
They should go after Herman. Offer him $6MM.

Yup i've been calling that for awhile. Herman would destroy at USC. Perfect fit. As long as Houston is paying him top$$ there's no incentive for him to leave for any school but a blue blood like USC. I just don't see an instate move to Texas or A&M being worth it. He's already got the state of Texas in the palm of his hand.

Doubt Herman goes anywhere until it becomes completely clear that Houston won't get into a P5 conference. If they go P5 he'll stay put like Patterson at TCU and like Briles wanted to do at Baylor. He's a God there, and they'll do whatever they have to to keep him.

He's the hottest HC in the world, so there will be a major gig for him whenever he feels like leaving.

This. Also he has to be rethinking SC at this point based on the fact that the entire AD is a giant mess, why mess up the good thing he has going at Houston? Every weak that goes by, his stock just keeps going up and it appears both Texas and LSU will have openings in the next year or so. ****, the way this is going he might have some NFL teams looking at him.

Yup i've been calling that for awhile. Herman would destroy at USC. Perfect fit. As long as Houston is paying him top$$ there's no incentive for him to leave for any school but a blue blood like USC. I just don't see an instate move to Texas or A&M being worth it. He's already got the state of Texas in the palm of his hand.

I was born and still live in Texas. I know a lot about HS and college ball. I'm also a Texas fan. Herman's not a perfect fit at USC for a few reasons. First, he runs the spread, a Texas offense. USC has always run a pro style offense, but they could break with that. I really don't know what kind of offenses they run in high school in Cali, but that is a major factor. Players in high school here are more developed than other parts of the country, and they're used to the spread and offense he runs. That's another big part.

Lastly, his recruiting has not been good compared to Texas, A&M, or even TCU or Baylor. He's gotten a bunch of 3 stars, the 1 5 star DT had committed to UH long before Herman got there. His brother played at UH. Houston was also the favorite to win the conference before he got there...and we've seen with coaches at UH they always go to Texas schools. Kingsbury, Briles, Sumlin. On top of that Herman was a grad assistant under Mack Brown in 2005, where he got "his" offense in the first place. He's also coached at about 3 or 4 other small Texas schools. He came here for a reason. Just thought I'd clear that up before I read anymore false information.

I was born and still live in Texas. I know a lot about HS and college ball. I'm also a Texas fan. Herman's not a perfect fit at USC for a few reasons. First, he runs the spread, a Texas offense. USC has always run a pro style offense, but they could break with that. I really don't know what kind of offenses they run in high school in Cali, but that is a major factor. Players in high school here are more developed than other parts of the country, and they're used to the spread and offense he runs. That's another big part.

Lastly, his recruiting has not been good compared to Texas, A&M, or even TCU or Baylor. He's gotten a bunch of 3 stars, the 1 5 star DT had committed to UH long before Herman got there. His brother played at UH. Houston was also the favorite to win the conference before he got there...and we've seen with coaches at UH they always go to Texas schools. Kingsbury, Briles, Sumlin. On top of that Herman was a grad assistant under Mack Brown in 2005, where he got "his" offense in the first place. He's also coached at about 3 or 4 other small Texas schools. He came here for a reason. Just thought I'd clear that up before I read anymore false information.

It wouldn't surprise me if he remained at Houston and demanded that they move to the Big 12 so he could build the program up and become a legend there. Though he may instead want to "bring Texas back" depending on how big of a Texas fan he was in the past.

i have sympathy because i feel like usc is almost a west coast version of miami. they are treated with a different standard by press and ncaa. that being said, i dont want a kid who punch is coach. i wanted that last year but i like mark richt so no thanks.

Advertisement
Hiring Clay Helton was an absolute joke. I feel bad for USC fans because they must be tearing their hair out. It'd be like us hiring Mark Whipple after we fired Randy Shannon.

I'm very surprised that they weren't able to get Herman. They really should have been able to land him.
I'd bet this year they fire Helton and hire Jake Spavital or some ****.

Would we want a guy that punched a coach in the face?

No.There are lines that you don't cross and that is one of them.He doesn't respect authority and if he actually did punch the coach he should be dismissed from the team immediately.He needs to figure out another way to handle his problems because it seems like he has a history of this type of behavior.Locker room cancer.

Last edited:
Lastly, his recruiting has not been good compared to Texas, A&M, or even TCU or Baylor. He's gotten a bunch of 3 stars, the 1 5 star DT had committed to UH long before Herman got there. His brother played at UH.

He is recruiting at an inferior program and in an inferior conference. He has been there since the end of 2014, he hasn't even been there 2 full years yet.

2016 Recruiting Rankings (247)[ESPN]

Texas (7)[10]
TAM (18)[20]
TCU (22)[23]
Houston (35)[30]
Baylor (41)[17]
Texas Tech (46)[42]

2017 Recruiting Rankings (247)

Texas (40)
TAM (13)
TCU (61)
Houston (37)
Baylor (133)
Texas Tech (44)

Houston was also the favorite to win the conference before he got there...

I don't know if this is true or not but they were not expected to win 13 games. They ended the season by beating FSU in the bowl game. Not sure if people predicted them to go 13-1 in 2016. He likely exceeded expectations.

and we've seen with coaches at UH they always go to Texas schools. Kingsbury, Briles, Sumlin.

Perhaps 3 coaches is a small sample. Are you saying 100% of the UH coaches will go to a Texas School?

Side note: 2 of those 3 are from Texas BTW.

On top of that Herman was a grad assistant under Mack Brown in 2005, where he got "his" offense in the first place.

Your timeline is way off. He was a GA at Texas in 1999-2000. Here is an interesting quote...

“Coach Davis, he’s truly the man that taught me football,” Herman said. “He taught me how to break down a defense and taught me a lot of things. I was a Division III player and coaching at Texas Lutheran. I’d never been in big-time college football."

Tom Herman: 'He looked up and could have fired me on the spot'

He came here for a reason. Just thought I'd clear that up before I read anymore false information.

Would you like to edit your original post?

Last edited:
Granted I am not following the politics of the Big 12 or whether they want Houston. Apparently the Big 12 wants to bring in 2 more schools. If it becomes clear (this season) that Houston will not be picked or that they don't expand this year, doesn't that change things "slightly".

I don't know what Herman is thinking or what he wants. Maybe he loves being a god at UH. Maybe he knows UH's limits. He probably could have almost any job and maybe even a pro job.

With that said, if USC wants to, I don't see why they couldn't pay him $6MM/per and pay for his buyout.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hiring Clay Helton was an absolute joke. I feel bad for USC fans because they must be tearing their hair out. It'd be like us hiring Mark Whipple after we fired Randy Shannon.

Or hiring Randy Shannon after Larry Coker.

To be fair, I think Shannon is a far better DC than Helton is as an OC. Shannon was promoted because he was in charge of the side of the ball that was actually performing well.

But if we are going to be honest, Shannon couldn't speak the English language.

Advertisement

This would be trouble for the rest of college football

USC is their own worst enemy. They're certainly capable of making a big hire but they make stupid illogical decisions instead. I don't think Herman will end up at USC but they should be able to make a big hire. It isn't money holding them back.

Advertisement
Id call Bobby Petrino and **** the consequences....

Another excellent name. His $10MM buyout may be a slight hurdle. He makes about $3.5MM per, he will get a big raise this off season too. UL will keep him.

I can't imagine him leaving Louisville again, especially with another season of Lamar Jackson. Of course the guy has made questionable moves before so I guess anything is possible.

Another excellent name. His $10MM buyout may be a slight hurdle. He makes about $3.5MM per, he will get a big raise this off season too. UL will keep him.

I can't imagine him leaving Louisville again, especially with another season of Lamar Jackson. Of course the guy has made questionable moves before so I guess anything is possible.

I don't think he will leave but what questionable moves did he make?

The time to get Bobby Olive Garden was when he was in **** at Western Kentucky. That's why I wanted UM to fire Folden when he disappeared to Ped State to beg for that job and hire Petrino immediately.

Advertisement
Back