Maryland Toxic Culture

That AD is the same dude that was at Ga (Damon Evans) and got fired when he was stopped high on something and a had a hot young blonde in car not his wife and her red panties in his lap. WTF going on at Maryland?

Evans just got the job. Doubtful he’s in jeopardy.

But I think we just found the leaders in the Lane train sweepstakes. LSU better act fast after we beat them in Jerry’s World, or they’ll be stuck promoting Aranda. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Advertisement
Didn't read the article but honestly a lot of your snippets sounds like my high school football life. Except the overeating to the point of vomiting.

I've had a coach throw a lock into a locker when players weren't paying attention
Have been in plenty of practices where someone slacks off and coached made him watch while the team had to run.
Questioning manhood is almost a given in football isn't it? **** you know how many times I heard my coach tell someone they squat when they pee. I remember throwing up during conditioning and the coach commented on the lack of quality nutritional foods in my throw up.

The food punishment stuff seems a little weird and hardcore but nothing else seems out of the ordinary to me. Maybe its just my experience
I agree. Anyone who played sports or was in the military before the 90's reads this article and thinks, "Sounds just like my 3 months of boot camp."
Nowadays, in our current environment, this is completely inappropriate, and I'm can't see any way this coaching staff doesn't get purged.

That AD is the same dude that was at Ga (Damon Evans) and got fired when he was stopped high on something and a had a hot young blonde in car not his wife and her red panties in his lap. WTF going on at Maryland?

Maryland is we’re all the swamp people live who bag each other in DC swamp.

GOCANES

There’s a difference. Criticism and tough love is a must when trying to build a student athlete but shear belittling doesn’t have a place. I had VM from my position coach at a D.1 university calling me out of my name because I didn’t come up early enough for summer training. Plenty kids get depressed.

I hear you, and it's a fine line to walk. Do the discipline thing wrong, and the coach can lose the respect of the team.

But the reason Larry Coker failed at Miami was because he ran camp cupcake. The reason many "player's coaches", as they're called, fail is the same.

On the other hand, best believe that if you're late for practice or miss a class at Alabama, Nick Saban will have a boot up your ***. They run a tight ship over there. Or think back to how Jimmy Johnson used to coach.

I don't need to tell you what you already know, but football is a game of toughness and knowing your assignment and role. You can always tell when a team has a "soft" coach because those teams are sloppy and they miss assignments. Like Miami 2003-2005.... loads of talent, but couldn't pull it all together on the field.

The other thing is that you're accountable to your teammates. If you show up out of shape or you slack on a drill, you're ******* your teammates over. When the guy next to you is busting his *** and you aren't, you're making it harder for him to win, because they're depending on you to do your job for the success of the whole team. So there's that side of it too. The best teams, teammates hold EACH OTHER to account.

The best coaches are the ones who can build toughness, strength, and discipline... but at the same time, can build love and comradery. Kind of like the army, in a way.... they push your *** hard, they chew you out, but in the end you would take a bullet for your brothers because you've been through the *** chewings and the fire together.

That's what the coaches who do it right can accomplish. It's no mistake that the players who played for Jimmy Johnson are the ones who still to this day rep the U the hardest, and are always coming back to campus. The brutal practices they went through shaped them as men.

Last edited:
"He's just a ball of testosterone all the time," one current player said. "He's really in your face. He'll call you [expletives], he'll challenge you in the weight room. He'll put more weight on the bar than you can do, ever done in your life, and expect you to do it multiple times. "

What a moron this Court guy sounds like. More weight on the bar than you can do is just injury waiting to happen - nothing wrong with pushing yourself in the weight room, but you definitely need to be smart about it.

Advertisement
1. Why our practices should use the IPF on the most beastly days (and don't give me 'we'd lose our edge conditioning-wise' argument; it hasn't existed in years). Can you imagine if Jordan McNair collapsed and died here?

2. The McFarland kid ultimately made a good choice. With the RB depth we have, he'd have been looking at competing for a punt/kick returner role. Too small.

Nothing in that report was shocking. Not sure about the kid who died (RIP).. Have not done my research. It happens, sadly. If staff is responsible then send them down the road. As for the other, water is wet..

Advertisement
Back