Maryland Toxic Culture

Just makes me even more thankful we have the staff that we do.
They love our players and our players love them. It’s a family.

Advertisement
Just got the notice from bleacher report that DJ Durkin has been placed on leave

The Bg10 network has been doing their annual barnstorming tour of the Big10 practices and when they were at Maryland a few
days ago they were interviewing DJ Durkin and I noticed he seemed off during the chat, which didn't touch on these issues.
But you can tell dude knew he wasn't going to be around for long.

0 shot whoopie would have seen the field here. i do recall the “sucks to be u”
shirts like my mans @FlaSportsFan88 said. So they can go **** their mothers as far as I’m concerned.

Bye Durkin....
200.gif

News from across college football landscape continues to show why the Mark Richt hire was such a stroke of genious for our program. Anything remotely close to this happens at Miami people wouod be calling for the death penalty. Wins and losses aside cleaning up the programs image has worked wonders with Richt at the helm.

Advertisement
Just an FYI for people on this board who read the article.

Your brain is literally being cooked at 106 degrees. He did need to be put in an ice bath until his body hit 104 degrees and then they should’ve let his body naturally bring down his temperature from there.

Once the brain starts cooking, you can act almost immediately and it still might not save the kid.

Lejeune Marine’s PT death leads to new safety measures

Had the Marine in ice within 5 min of collapsing, did no good. 99% of the time when a kid gets loopy on the practice field because of heat, it's due to heat exhaustion not heat stroke, and the treatment is shade, cool wet towels, remove shoulder pads and other items that retain heat, and hydration. Could be other factors that played a big role in the kid dying other than not putting him in ice bath fast enough.

Read this article about how several current University of Maryland football players and people close to the Terrapins program describe a toxic coaching culture under head coach D.J. Durkin before offensive lineman Jordan McNair's death in June after a football workout.
I can't help but think about how McFarland punked us over a few years ago for them... Some kids just don't have enough brain cells to make wise decisions I guess
A couple of nice snippets

• There is a coaching environment based on fear and intimidation. In one example, a player holding a meal while in a meeting had the meal slapped out of his hands in front of the team. At other times, small weights and other objects were thrown in the direction of players when Court was angry.
  • The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.
  • Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.
  • Coaches have endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used food punitively; for example, a player said he was forced to overeat or eat to the point of vomiting.

Who wants to place a bet that the guy who had to eat candy bars was McFarland?

It probably took so long because the trainer confused it for heat exhaustion because he didn’t know what the **** he was doing. That’s why the first thing you do in the situation is to talk to him to check his speech(it’ll be slurred if he’s suffer from heat stroke) and LOC, and then his temperature.

The kid was carried to the end of the 110 sprints by two coaches holding him up, intertwining their legs with his, to make his legs move.

AND THEY WAITED AN HOUR to take him to the hospital.

There is near-100% success if they just put him in an ice bath within 30 minutes of showing signs.

Maryland staff waited an hour to take him to the hospital. The poor kid was at 106 degrees AT THE HOSPITAL. He was never given the ice bath that could have saved his life.

The kid was carried to the end of the 110 sprints by two coaches holding him up, intertwining their legs with his, to make his legs move.

AND THEY WAITED AN HOUR to take him to the hospital.

There is near-100% success if they just put him in an ice bath within 30 minutes of showing signs.

Maryland staff waited an hour to take him to the hospital. The poor kid was at 106 degrees AT THE HOSPITAL. He was never given the ice bath that could have saved his life.

I stand corrected from my post above. Based on what you described (sounds basically total loss of motor control), a competent medical professional should have stepped in immediately and evaluated for heat stroke. Don't see any way the school avoids paying dearly in lawsuit and the trainer should lose his certification.

Advertisement
Once the brain starts cooking, you can act almost immediately and it still might not save the kid.

Had the Marine in ice within 5 min of collapsing, did no good. 99% of the time when a kid gets loopy on the practice field because of heat, it's due to heat exhaustion not heat stroke, and the treatment is shade, cool wet towels, remove shoulder pads and other items that retain heat, and hydration. Could be other factors that played a big role in the kid dying other than not putting him in ice bath fast enough.

I really wanted to make an FSU and Vanilla Ice joke here.

Thank you Doctor.

Advertisement
Thank you Doctor.

Not a doctor. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Also if you ever served in the Marines one of the first things you learn at boot camp is to how to identify heat stroke, so you can identify and inform the DI or a corpsman before you or another person drops and you get the "silver bullet." What is the silver bullet? A large metal thermometer that gets stuck up your *** to measure your core temperature, which usually happens in front of your platoon as you are passed out on the ground from heat stroke.

Last edited:
Soft. I'm a millennial, but sometimes this **** makes me smh.

"Wahhhh, my coach made fun of me. Wahhhh. He made me eat a candy bar in front of everybody! Wahhhhh!"

*****. Get your fat *** in shape then. Football is a man's sport. Quit whining about stupid ****.

There’s a difference. Criticism and tough love is a must when trying to build a student athlete but shear belittling doesn’t have a place. I had VM from my position coach at a D.1 university calling me out of my name because I didn’t come up early enough for summer training. Plenty kids get depressed.

Not a doctor. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Also if you ever served in the Marines one of the first things you learn at boot camp is to how to identify heat stroke, so you can identify and inform the DI or a corpsman before you or another person drops and you get the "silver bullet." What is the silver bullet? A large metal thermometer that gets stuck up your *** to measure your core temperature, which usually happens in front of your platoon as you are passed out on the ground from heat stroke.

Wasn't a Marine, but in the military, we were pretty much told that if you are ****ing the slightest shade of yellow, or you look at your canteen, it's time to drink some water.

I remember in boot they made us drink 3 glasses of water for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and we were supposed to drink two canteens.

After a couple of days of that, guys were lined out the door at the latrine ****ing like racehorses. We only used two urinals because we didn't want to have to scrub the whole bathroom.

In high school, I was a wrestler. Learned what the term 'sucking weight' means.

Advertisement
After reading the ESPN article you’ve go to believe Durkin, and S&C coach Court are gone. Maybe the AD as well. Even the investigation of the player’s death seems out-of-line.

Maryland is going end up paying out millions to the deceased player’s family.

After reading the ESPN article you’ve go to believe Durkin, and S&C coach Court are gone. Maybe the AD as well. Even the investigation of the player’s death seems out-of-line.

Maryland is going end up paying out millions to the deceased player’s family.

That AD is the same dude that was at Ga (Damon Evans) and got fired when he was stopped high on something and a had a hot young blonde in car not his wife and her red panties in his lap. WTF going on at Maryland?

Advertisement
Back