Maryland Toxic Culture

flcanesfan

we back?
Read this article about how several current University of Maryland football players and people close to the Terrapins program describe a toxic coaching culture under head coach D.J. Durkin before offensive lineman Jordan McNair's death in June after a football workout.
I can't help but think about how McFarland punked us over a few years ago for them... Some kids just don't have enough brain cells to make wise decisions I guess
A couple of nice snippets

• There is a coaching environment based on fear and intimidation. In one example, a player holding a meal while in a meeting had the meal slapped out of his hands in front of the team. At other times, small weights and other objects were thrown in the direction of players when Court was angry.
  • The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.
  • Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.
  • Coaches have endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used food punitively; for example, a player said he was forced to overeat or eat to the point of vomiting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Still remember the Maryland fans rocking the Sucks to be U shirts our first game after the Shapiro bull****. Wish nothing but the worst for them.

Boy did things work out for us with Whoopi choosing Maryland. Little fish in a little pond , that ended up being too small for that pond.

Advertisement
**** them smh i just wish McFarlands father wasn't so dead set on making him stay local now he's stuck their in that miserable ****hole of a school

Read this article about how several current University of Maryland football players and people close to the Terrapins program describe a toxic coaching culture under head coach D.J. Durkin before offensive lineman Jordan McNair's death in June after a football workout.
I can't help but think about how McFarland punked us over a few years ago for them... Some kids just don't have enough brain cells to make wise decisions I guess
A couple of nice snippets

• There is a coaching environment based on fear and intimidation. In one example, a player holding a meal while in a meeting had the meal slapped out of his hands in front of the team. At other times, small weights and other objects were thrown in the direction of players when Court was angry.
  • The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.
  • Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.
  • Coaches have endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used food punitively; for example, a player said he was forced to overeat or eat to the point of vomiting.

Didn't read the article but honestly a lot of your snippets sounds like my high school football life. Except the overeating to the point of vomiting.

I've had a coach throw a lock into a locker when players weren't paying attention
Have been in plenty of practices where someone slacks off and coached made him watch while the team had to run.
Questioning manhood is almost a given in football isn't it? **** you know how many times I heard my coach tell someone they squat when they pee. I remember throwing up during conditioning and the coach commented on the lack of quality nutritional foods in my throw up.

The food punishment stuff seems a little weird and hardcore but nothing else seems out of the ordinary to me. Maybe its just my experience

Big 10 just taking blow after blow this offseason

McFarland would have gotten passed up if he came here

Advertisement
seems plausible.. however, since it was from an espn article, I would hold off because espn likes to sensationalize things like what is going on at osu without all the facts. I mean they rehired American hating Olberman. I mean unless the coach is overusing the medical people out there and continuing to tell him to keep going, he is probably free of an responsibility. too much legal issues to not have doctors at every practice and I bet they film every practice as well

Advertisement
Didn't read the article but honestly a lot of your snippets sounds like my high school football life. Except the overeating to the point of vomiting.

I've had a coach throw a lock into a locker when players weren't paying attention
Have been in plenty of practices where someone slacks off and coached made him watch while the team had to run.
Questioning manhood is almost a given in football isn't it? **** you know how many times I heard my coach tell someone they squat when they pee. I remember throwing up during conditioning and the coach commented on the lack of quality nutritional foods in my throw up.

The food punishment stuff seems a little weird and hardcore but nothing else seems out of the ordinary to me. Maybe its just my experience

I don't think this is the best way to motivate players and get the best out of them, but there's nothing really shocking here. People forget how recently it was totally ok to call kids names and physically intimidate them. And they also forget that football culture changes a lot slower than the country as a whole.

I'm all for anything that embarrasses Umd football, but for those of us not on that team I just don't see the big deal. Now if my kid played there...

seems plausible.. however, since it was from an espn article, I would hold off because espn likes to sensationalize things like what is going on at osu without all the facts. I mean they rehired American hating Olberman. I mean unless the coach is overusing the medical people out there and continuing to tell him to keep going, he is probably free of an responsibility. too much legal issues to not have doctors at every practice and I bet they film every practice as well

Maryland worked a kid to death at practice. It doesn't mean **** if they had the whole Mayo Clinic there, they're still going to be held liable.

Also, not surprised a **** human like you is defending Urban Meyer. It's hilarious though your brain is so fried by politics you don't even realize that story was broken by a reporter ESPN fired and who hates ESPN

Advertisement
Back