Maryland Toxic Culture

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Maryland fans that were some of the biggest scumbags on the planet immediately post Bryan Pata's death? And not some isolated anecdotal incidents but a situation where EVERY Cane fan that went to College Park for that game came back saying the same thing.

I went to that game and had zero issues. Many expressed condolences

Advertisement
DJ Durkin is not long for this world.

The McNair incident deserves immediate firing.

The rest of this expose though? Sounds like an unnecessary pile on that reeks of half truths and hyperbole.

If the only way you can find to motivate kids is by treating them like sh*t after sitting in their parents living rooms and promising to take care of them, you are a huge POS!!

Hope this is the start of coaches like this getting exposed.

Advertisement
I don't think this is the best way to motivate players and get the best out of them, but there's nothing really shocking here. People forget how recently it was totally ok to call kids names and physically intimidate them. And they also forget that football culture changes a lot slower than the country as a whole.

I'm all for anything that embarrasses Umd football, but for those of us not on that team I just don't see the big deal. Now if my kid played there...[/QUOTE

Just stupidity!!!

Advertisement
The family is questioning why it took a hour in between showing signs and then him having a seizure. Maryland will have to show they have a protocol in place for that.
It probably took so long because the trainer confused it for heat exhaustion because he didn’t know what the **** he was doing. That’s why the first thing you do in the situation is to talk to him to check his speech(it’ll be slurred if he’s suffer from heat stroke) and LOC, and then his temperature.

Last edited:
like I said, I told all y'all to wait. everyone jumping on durkin, but no one wanted to what until the full story came out. I am not defending durkin, he may well be a scumbag. I am just tired of the media and people convicting people in the media before all the facts come out. now we find out durkin wasn't even there and it was the strength and conditioning staff..

News on DJ Durkin in Wake of Jordan McNair's Death

Who hired the strength and condtioning staff? Do you not think Durkin knew what was going on?

After reading this it cant be a coincidence that this is coming out and Maryland almost beat Texas at home last year. Herman taking everyone down.

After reading this it cant be a coincidence that this is coming out and Maryland almost beat Texas at home last year. Herman taking everyone down.

That’s quite a stretch. The Maryland reporting came out of the kid dying. And almost everyone quoted in the Maryland piece were former players and staff. I don’t think Herman was on the Maryland staff.

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Maryland fans that were some of the biggest scumbags on the planet immediately post Bryan Pata's death? And not some isolated anecdotal incidents but a situation where EVERY Cane fan that went to College Park for that game came back saying the same thing.

You are correct, they are gigantic pieces of chit.

like I said, I told all y'all to wait. everyone jumping on durkin, but no one wanted to what until the full story came out. I am not defending durkin, he may well be a scumbag. I am just tired of the media and people convicting people in the media before all the facts come out. now we find out durkin wasn't even there and it was the strength and conditioning staff..

Who cares if he was there? You read about this mess and think he's created an appropriate environment to develop student athletes?

You'd send your kid to play football there?

You think this reflects well on Durkin? Are you a Sacha Baron Cohen character?

Advertisement

Yep, you are correct.

I am a Maryland grad, attended school during the 1980s.
When the Canes visited a week after Pata's death, there were many Twerp supporters yelling some
seriously sick stuff about UM and Pata.
Had to step in for both of my brothers at various points during the game because of stupid drunken
frat boys saying some obnoxious things.
One of them started on me about Pata, I asked him if he heard any good Len Bias' jokes.
Dude turned whiter than a corpse.
It pained me to joke about Bias because I was on campus during his era, was a fan of his game, and it
was very sad to see what happened to him and his family, but I got my point across.

I am proud of my Maryland degree, but I never fully connected with the school, tbh.
Lots of Long Island Trash on that campus.

Advertisement
Back