Marquise Lightfoot commits to Miami

Advertisement
Third? Oh yea my bad I forgot I never count that first arrival class…… I confused myself cause I’m like I know he got hired and Mario same year, but I just cancel that 22 class out.
Recruiting class rankings are getting pretty weird anyway. Like a great class and then some teams lose a huge chunk of the class before they even hit the field with the portal

Now do the past 10 national champions. I’ll wait.
I’ll do championship games to add further context
4 yr avg. class rankings:

2014 - ✅OSU (4th) v. UO (17th)
2015 - ✅ Bama (1st) v. Clemson (15th)
2016 - ✅ Clemson (12th) v. Bama (1st)
2017 - ✅ Bama (1st) v. UGA (6th)
2018 - ✅ Clemson (11th) v. Bama (2nd)
2019 - ✅ LSU (8th) v. Clemson (11th)
2020 - ✅ Bama (2nd) v. OSU (4th)
2021 - ✅ UGA (T-2nd) v. Bama (T-2nd)
2022 - ✅ UGA (2nd) v. TCU (32nd)
2023 - ✅ UofM (14th) v. UW (33rd)

Out of the last 20 participants in the CFPCG:
60% had a team composition being in the top 10 of recruiting
40% had a team composition being outside the the top 10

70% of the eventual Nat’l Champions had top 10 classes
30% of the eventual Nat’l Champions were outside the top 10

Talent matters; however, to think winning the recruiting wars automatically = a CFP birth and/or a Nat’l Title is foolish. One of the most haterish narratives to justify, pacify, & excuse our struggles is this theory that teams like Bama, OSU, & UGA win so much is just b/c of their roster make up. This is a back handed theory to diminish the coaching abilities of these guys.

I’ve taken a look at classes that rounded out a top 10 composition class over a 4 yr during each of these Nat’l Title Runs, for every Bama, OSU, UGA, we had USC, Texas, Texas A&M, UF, Auburn that were perennial 6-9 win teams. Recruiting is essential, sure, but u need a coach that can coach’em up.

Advertisement

Talent matters; however, to think winning the recruiting wars automatically = a CFP birth and/or a Nat’l Title is foolish. One of the most haterish narratives to justify, pacify, & excuse our struggles is this theory that teams like Bama, OSU, & UGA win so much is just b/c of their roster make up. This is a back handed theory to diminish the coaching abilities of these guys.

I’ve taken a look at classes that rounded out a top 10 composition class over a 4 yr during each of these Nat’l Title Runs, for every Bama, OSU, UGA, we had USC, Texas, Texas A&M, UF, Auburn that were perennial 6-9 win teams. Recruiting is essential, sure, but u need a coach that can coach’em up.
Class rankings alone me ****. The scores are accumulative not descriptive. You can sign 20 DL and have a #1 class wtf does it prove?

I’m not a big fan of data. How many of these teams play with their hands in the dirt?

Advertisement
There are only two kids in the entire Top 250 who are both unsigned and uncommitted. Meaning only 2 kids in the top 250 will change team rankings. We’re going to finish with the #3 class.
Once Gatlin Blair commits to Oregon he becomes their highest rated commit and they jump us for #3

Boom; exactly. It’s much more nuanced then to say “hey, we have a top 5 class.”

I personally feel we've upgraded across the board. Overall quality, quality at each position, quality depth. Also better coaches overall. better culture. We have holes, we’re not there yet. But getting better and the Top 5 class is one solid leg of the stool.

Advertisement
Based on what? We have injured guys that haven’t proven much outside of Mesidor. We have some highly rated freshmen and some roll player transfers. We just got our **** pushed in by a middle of the road Big 10 team with a lot of the same guys we will have next year. Make no mistake we need big jumps from some guys to be the best d line in the conference next year
Cook & Clarke weren't on that line neither was mesidor,neither was Kelley who at the very least is good against the run. The freshman will have another year in the system & the incoming class has the best line recruits in the country... as another plus licken****ter is gone. So while I agree we shouldn't go into the season feeling we have the best line in acc, I also see what you said isn't exactly the case either.

Could be argued that this years DL haul was better than last years OL haul that was pretty **** good.
Good problem to have , I been arguing with bama fans that Miami has been recruiting in the trenches better than then . Imo Michigan beat them in the trenches is how they won.i Dont agree with Mario ignorance sometimes however he has us in top 5 or higher these last two years recruiting in the trenches . Eventually talent will take over regardless how bad coaching is . Im trying to think who’s been recruiting better than us in the trenches ?

Advertisement
Good problem to have , I been arguing with bama fans that Miami has been recruiting in the trenches better than then . Imo Michigan beat them in the trenches is how they won.i Dont agree with Mario ignorance sometimes however he has us in top 5 or higher these last two years recruiting in the trenches . Eventually talent will take over regardless how bad coaching is . Im trying to think who’s been recruiting better than us in the trenches ?
Mario’s trench recruiting the last 2 cycles has been pretty elite. So far, he’s proven that his rep for being an upper echelon recruiter is not hyperbole. If he can just get better on game day, he can get us where we all want to be.

Advertisement
Back