Marquise Lightfoot commits to Miami

View as article
The only critique of Diaz in the portal vs Mario today is that the situation with the portal is completely different. Diaz gets credit for actually being one of the first to accept and use the Portal. The guys he brought in mostly were good to great contributors here. Unfortunately he HAD to do it cause his recruiting for the most part was so ***. Mario in the portal actually has landed some top transfers, many haven’t produced up to expectations, but there is also FAR more competition amongst other schools to get these guys.

But like Harrell isn’t exactly performing, but we have 3 other WRs that are - one of which was a transfer. We have a guy like Devante Brown not performing, but the guy that is at CB is Daryl Porter - a transfer. Francisco Mauigoa - a transfer - is better than like any LB Diaz brought in. Lee and Cohen were both massive wins in the portal.

And obviously next season we will likely make a play for a top qb transfer. If we nail that it’ll have major impact… Diaz was Better in the portal - at the very least had a higher hit rate - but it was also at the very beginning of the portal when other teams basically refused to use it. Don’t think Diaz would be as successful today as he was the, same way he wasn’t as successful actually recruiting. Some of y’all are ignoring Diaz’s misses though like Tate Martell lol.

Advertisement
The only critique of Diaz in the portal vs Mario today is that the situation with the portal is completely different. Diaz gets credit for actually being one of the first to accept and use the Portal. The guys he brought in mostly were good to great contributors here. Unfortunately he HAD to do it cause his recruiting for the most part was so ***. Mario in the portal actually has landed some top transfers, many haven’t produced up to expectations, but there is also FAR more competition amongst other schools to get these guys.

But like Harrell isn’t exactly performing, but we have 3 other WRs that are - one of which was a transfer. We have a guy like Devante Brown not performing, but the guy that is at CB is Daryl Porter - a transfer. Francisco Mauigoa - a transfer - is better than like any LB Diaz brought in. Lee and Cohen were both massive wins in the portal.

And obviously next season we will likely make a play for a top qb transfer. If we nail that it’ll have major impact… Diaz was Better in the portal - at the very least had a higher hit rate - but it was also at the very beginning of the portal when other teams basically refused to use it. Don’t think Diaz would be as successful today as he was the, same way he wasn’t as successful actually recruiting.
What positions (from your point of view) was Manny poor in recruiting that he had to overcompensate with portal help?

This isn't me parading Manny because I was one of his earliest and loudest critics after FIU, but I'm just curious from your point of view regarding the positions he struggled to bring guys in. This sets up for a follow-up question as well, comparing with Mario.

Eh. He took a flier on a guy who was essentially out of football due to injuries. Yeah the potential was always there but it’s not like he went out and landed a top transfer.
Your trying to hard to downplay manny. What do you mean taking a flier? lol He got him out of the portal they are ALL flyers.

Nothing your sayign makes sense in this post lol

What positions (from your point of view) was Manny poor in recruiting that he had to overcompensate with portal help?

This isn't me parading Manny because I was one of his earliest and loudest critics after FIU, but I'm just curious from your point of view regarding the positions he struggled to bring guys in. This sets up for a follow-up question as well, comparing with Mario.
I would say LB was his worst somehow, but he never even got portal help there I don’t think. CB was terrible too, and his hit was Stevenson. Edge actually wasn’t very good recruiting wise, but he made up for it in the portal every year. Remember we literally HAD to get portal starting edge every year for a reason. WR recruiting wasn’t anything to be excited about, which again is why we were so desperate for Rambo. Oline was objectively not good - that’s all 5 positions, but mostly Tackles and center. QB honestly I don’t really fault coaches too bad for misevaluating cause it’s by far hardest position. Everyone will have more misses than hits there. TE was good. DT he got like 1 or two guys, but like the poor DT recruiting is still affecting us today. I do think DT and Cb recruiting is probably the hardest positions to recruit at a very high level though….

As for Mario the main critiques I have for recruiting are Cb by far #1. Seriously I think people complaining so much about DT or other positions are crazy if they don’t think CB recruiting hasn’t been by far the biggest problem - including in the portal. Qb would be my #2 - but more for how important it is. Like ultimately I like Emory and think he could start here in 2 years. But I think Judd isn’t going to be good. A 50/50 hit rate would be excellent of course. I just don’t trust Mario picking right QBs yet though. Gunna have to fully prove that first. DT would be my #3. I just am not freaking out about DT recruiting as much as others are.. every other position Mario is recruiting at a much higher level than Diaz.

Advertisement
Your trying to hard to downplay manny. What do you mean taking a flier? lol He got him out of the portal they are ALL flyers.

Nothing your sayign makes sense in this post lol
The guy hadn’t played for a year and was pretty much medically retired. Not like he tampered and pulled an all American out of the portal. I actually liked Manny as a DC.

Jaelan Phillips and Quincy Roche were 2 transfer portal de who were drafted out of the portal.Phillips being one of the better nfl dends in the league when healthy
I thought you were referring to Mannio.

Advertisement

Sorry for the bump scare. Glad we’re getting lightfoot on campus early. Will help with his development and getting him to contribute early.

I Hate You GIF by Travis

Pretty cool though. This kid just needs to hit the weight room and he should be good to go

Impressed with Feld tbh. We had more talent but the kids obviously put in work in the weight room and it’s sticking

If someone mentions Moss I’ll take time away from anabolic turkey tomorrow and slap you in front of your family

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back