Marlins are officially the test case for Covid in sports

If sports are going to work you have to have rules in place to keep athletes from going out. I knew this was gonna happen the moment I saw that video of Joey Gallo out at some concert or something after I believe the Rangers Saturday game. IMO it should be much easier to restrict college kids from going out than pros. All they need is some sort of bubble concept on campus or in team hotels near stadiums. It’s not gonna be as simple as I just states but it’s 100% doable.

I can see your initial thought process in relation to college kids but in the end I think it actually becomes wayyyyy harder with them- especially since they're unpaid. Good luck telling a college kid that they can't socialize with other college kids- especially on the campuses that actually do bring students back.

Advertisement
I can see your initial thought process in relation to college kids but in the end I think it actually becomes wayyyyy harder with them- especially since they're unpaid. Good luck telling a college kid that they can't socialize with other college kids- especially on the campuses that actually do bring students back.

I was initially thinking the campuses that don’t bring all the kids back. Relegate players to dorms and for schools that have on campus stuff get them in a hotel and have them doing classes online. Seems much easier for sports teams bc they have tutors at their disposal.

But to your point it would come down to disciplinary actions. Are coaches gonna keep a starter out of a game bc he went out even if he tested negative? I wouldn’t, but that would set off a chain of every kid doing what they wanted. It’s gonna take 100% buy in. College football is so different bc one loss can cost you the season. Can you imagine the complaints, of say Lawrence or Fields test positive and they have to play without them and lose?

Every team should have a real Taxi squad...the AAA team ready to go when something like this happens. This should be why the Alternate Team Sites exist.

Football will not finish. 0% chance any form of football finishes.

I assumed the NFL would keep 3-4 regional teams going like that one XFL "free agent" team. They are paid to just practice vs each other and be called up. All agreeing to quarantine and bubble policy. Haven't even heard it rumored

If sports are going to work you have to have rules in place to keep athletes from going out. I knew this was gonna happen the moment I saw that video of Joey Gallo out at some concert or something after I believe the Rangers Saturday game. IMO it should be much easier to restrict college kids from going out than pros. All they need is some sort of bubble concept on campus or in team hotels near stadiums. It’s not gonna be as simple as I just states but it’s 100% doable.

There is no chance you are isolating 85+ college student(-athletes) PLUS all of the staff from this virus.

0% chance. Its not happening and I'd like to not pretend its possible. I'd put the over-under at 4 games before the whole thing is shut down and I'd be smashing the under.

Advertisement
There is no chance you are isolating 85+ college student(-athletes) PLUS all of the staff from this virus.

0% chance. Its not happening and I'd like to not pretend its possible. I'd put the over-under at 4 games before the whole thing is shut down and I'd be smashing the under.

You could be 100% right, but I think it’s still too soon to go that far. But I will say how the MLB handles this will have a huge impact on it. Everything is starting to go our way right now so I’m trying to stay positive

You could be 100% right, but I think it’s still too soon to go that far. But I will say how the MLB handles this will have a huge impact on it. Everything is starting to go our way right now so I’m trying to stay positive

No one has a handle on this thing.

NHL and NBA are going to be interesting. They've isolated and have some pretty sound protocols for their bubble from what I've read, but still...its going to be very interesting what happens there when the inevitable "outbreak" happens.

This was inevitable. The key is acceptance and flexibility. Marlins should just postpone the next couple games so they can get a true handle on the extent of the outbreak, then resume games with mostly minor leaguers until the rest of the team is ready to play.
Had to be the ******* Marlins 🤦🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
I was initially thinking the campuses that don’t bring all the kids back. Relegate players to dorms and for schools that have on campus stuff get them in a hotel and have them doing classes online. Seems much easier for sports teams bc they have tutors at their disposal.

But to your point it would come down to disciplinary actions. Are coaches gonna keep a starter out of a game bc he went out even if he tested negative? I wouldn’t, but that would set off a chain of every kid doing what they wanted. It’s gonna take 100% buy in. College football is so different bc one loss can cost you the season. Can you imagine the complaints, of say Lawrence or Fields test positive and they have to play without them and lose?
Clemson most likely got all their starters out of way early. They wont be tested again for 3 months if they already had it. They playing chess.

You won't find me defending the early actions of the WHO or the CDC and certainly not China, Brazil, Russia, etc at all.

Europe certainly isn't beyond reproach either based on how a lot of its countries initially handed it.
But you also got to look at how they eventually adapted their responses too and the commensurate success they've enjoyed and we have not.

I also hold the wealthiest and most powerful country to a little higher standard- especially since we were given a bit of a headstart too.

Keep that same energy for our educational system

Screenshot_20200727-133558_Twitter.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back