Marlins are officially the test case for Covid in sports

Advertisement
Lol. I’d love to know who the players are. Were they actually on the field out performing the Phillies with covid?!? Say it ain’t so!

I was led to believe corona is an automatic death sentence!! I mean just look how it wrecked Rudy Gobert!! Better knee jerk shut the entire thing down because....

This is a G**** joke. Of course people will get sniffles and a potential headache here and there. It’s called life. Been happening since we all took our first breathe. Somehow now we need to panic at the first positive test (ala months ago like Goberts positive case)?

The virus will never be eradicated. It’s here. Adapt and move on already. For Christ’s sake.

What does them not being pros have to do with anything?

Theoretically? Nothing. But p-r / public perception-wise? Probably a ton.

Even in this brief return of MLB that is fast turning into a ****show you've already had a story with a "name" player (Freddie Freeman) that got the virus and said he was praying to God to save him as his temp crossed 104 degrees.

Now picture that or worse with an unpaid college athlete that actually is hospitalized. The whole sport and the schools would be eviscerated.

What does them not being pros have to do with anything?
You have guys who are being paid millions who are still voluntarily sitting this season out because they feel the risk exceeds that giant reward. But the bigger point is with the pro leagues, you have players associations to negotiate collective bargaining agreements to say players will stay in the bubble, what happens if they need to leave the bubble, and set out fines if players do that. Those agreements also set out standards of testing and when a player can come back if they test positive to mitigate the risk of spread.

College you have none of that to help guide behaviors or establish safety thresholds. And forgetting all of that, there is the wave where the NCAA is grasping the last straw that players are "amateurs" who should not be paid. When you have guys turning down millions with all of those procedures in place, it is kind of hard to keep arguing the amateurism sham if you force college athletes to play.

Advertisement
Lol. I’d love to know who the players are. Were they actually on the field out performing the Phillies with covid?!? Say it ain’t so!

I was led to believe corona is an automatic death sentence!! I mean just look how it wrecked Rudy Gobert!! Better knee jerk shut the entire thing down because....

This is a G**** joke. Of course people will get sniffles and a potential headache here and there. It’s called life. Been happening since we all took our first breathe. Somehow now we need to panic at the first positive test (ala months ago like Goberts positive case)?

The virus will never be eradicated. It’s here. Adapt and move on already. For Christ’s sake.

Imagine still thinking like this

Agree. I have the most hope in the NHL pulling it off. I think there's a real possibility that hockey ends up being the only sport maybe even playing in the fall/winter AND possibly with fans but all in Canada. Like 4 or 5 teams in a bunch of hub cities as our long national embarrassment continues in the good ol' USA.
What embarrassment? Europe is flaring back up even with restricting US tourists. If fact, most of the world is. Truth is this virus is acting weird enough to give some reason to considered it possibly being engineered. I'm not there yet but no longer just dismiss it. Factually it looks like if has weaken and therefore is flourishing by not being very serious. Its victims live to spread it further and many never even have symptoms.

In FL the ER visited for covid symptoms have been on downward slope while ER visits with flu symptoms have been increasing during our "outbreak". Since even death stats are being tainted by politics ER visits have become about the only reasonable one to watch. Granted many people are thankfully not sick enough to go to ER it is not that relable for infection rate but certainly reflects reduced severity. Compared to our EU fellows, we come out better in most of the stats. Who exactly are we being embarrassed by? Canada does have a slightly better morality, about 3.4 rate to ours, 4.5 but that is without factoring in age. I admit that I am not familiar with the number of old people living is Canada but having lived in South Florida for about 60 years, I am fairly confident that a bunch of old Canadians live down here. Resturant and bar workers can probably speak to their numbers better than I -- they always leave a small token of their identity. Heck, if we just carved out NY for criminal actions by a certain governor, our mortality rate drops to Canada's level. So again, what embarrassment? I might agree with you.

Advertisement
What embarrassment? Europe is flaring back up even with restricting US tourists. If fact, most of the world is. Truth is this virus is acting weird enough to give some reason to considered it possibly being engineered. I'm not there yet but no longer just dismiss it. Factually it looks like if has weaken and therefore is flourishing by not being very serious. Its victims live to spread it further and many never even have symptoms.

In FL the ER visited for covid symptoms have been on downward slope while ER visits with flu symptoms have been increasing during our "outbreak". Since even death stats are being tainted by politics ER visits have become about the only reasonable one to watch. Granted many people are thankfully not sick enough to go to ER it is not that relable for infection rate but certainly reflects reduced severity. Compared to our EU fellows, we come out better in most of the stats. Who exactly are we being embarrassed by? Canada does have a slightly better morality, about 3.4 rate to ours, 4.5 but that is without factoring in age. I admit that I am not familiar with the number of old people living is Canada but having lived in South Florida for about 60 years, I am fairly confident that a bunch of old Canadians live down here. Resturant and bar workers can probably speak to their numbers better than I -- they always leave a small token of their identity. Heck, if we just carved out NY for criminal actions by a certain governor, our mortality rate drops to Canada's level. So again, what embarrassment? I might agree with you.

No offense but I stopped reading at "What embarrassment?".

Only a person completely incapable of feeling embarrassment at all would feel anything but complete embarrassment about the way this country has handled this.

Are you really asking that question?
**** yes, cause once again, the NCAA uses amateurism when it’s convenient. Pro sports only make billionaires richer. College football funds scholarships and athletic departments. Both are unsafe right now but if we’re asking who needs the revenue more? Yeah I’m asking!

Advertisement
Insane. I'm fine with potentially blaming Jeter for ruining ALL sports.

20200727_111557.jpg

Only a person completely incapable of feeling embarrassment at all would feel anything but complete embarrassment about the way this country has handled this.
Okay, I got it. When you got nothing throw an insult, so that was your best reply. Since you are still a Cane, please stay safe.

This was inevitable. The key is acceptance and flexibility. Marlins should just postpone the next couple games so they can get a true handle on the extent of the outbreak, then resume games with mostly minor leaguers until the rest of the team is ready to play.
I just mentioned the minor league angle to someone a few minutes ago. But talk about a bull**** season. Some cellar-dweller team could potentially win it all because of fortunate luck on Covid outbreaks.

I am hoping something like that happens bc it'll help with CFB, but this is a bad start. The NBA bubble seems to be working (even if seems like summer pickup games so far).

Advertisement

Opinion not fact but carry on. Your take is pretty one-sided and quite humurous...

Okay, I got it. When you got nothing throw an insult, so that was your best reply. Since you are still a Cane, please stay safe.

It wasn't meant to be an insult at you specifically- that's why I said "no offense". I just personally don't want to go down the longgggg path of debating all these virus related issues for the umpteenth time and if we're starting the discussion already disputing if the American response has been embarrassing or not then additional discourse is going to be fruitless and will only serve to clog another thread.

Likewise, stay safe.

Insane. I'm fine with potentially blaming Jeter for ruining ALL sports.

View attachment 123645

Hahaha!! Good for the marlins. Played knowing there were positive tests and subsequently went out and pasted the Phillies. They’ve got my respect moving forward. And I’d bet they feel just fine to go out there for their home opener tonight and do it again.... but the hysterical crowd has to get their way....

It wasn't meant to be an insult at you specifically- that's why I said "no offense". I just personally don't want to go down the longgggg path of debating all these virus related issues for the umpteenth time and if we're starting the discussion already disputing if the American response has been embarrassing or not then additional discourse is going to be fruitless and will only serve to clog another thread.

Likewise, stay safe.

If you’re going there, the WHO, the CDC, most European countries, China, and many other countries should also be “embarrassed”

Advertisement
Back