Marlins are officially the test case for Covid in sports

Hahaha!! Good for the marlins. Played knowing there were positive tests and subsequently went out and pasted the Phillies. They’ve got my respect moving forward. And I’d bet they feel just fine to go out there for their home opener tonight and do it again.... but the hysterical crowd has to get their way....
Marlins home opener sponsored by Tylenol...

Advertisement
Opinion not fact but carry on. Your take is pretty one-sided and quite humurous...

I don't think the board needed a disclaimer stating that my musings are almost exclusively opinions. But thanks for clearing that up for any individuals that may have been confused and/or are making life or health decisions off of a college football website.

I'll be offering financial advice later in the private investment forum. PM Paranos for the password.

You have guys who are being paid millions who are still voluntarily sitting this season out because they feel the risk exceeds that giant reward. But the bigger point is with the pro leagues, you have players associations to negotiate collective bargaining agreements to say players will stay in the bubble, what happens if they need to leave the bubble, and set out fines if players do that. Those agreements also set out standards of testing and when a player can come back if they test positive to mitigate the risk of spread.

College you have none of that to help guide behaviors or establish safety thresholds. And forgetting all of that, there is the wave where the NCAA is grasping the last straw that players are "amateurs" who should not be paid. When you have guys turning down millions with all of those procedures in place, it is kind of hard to keep arguing the amateurism sham if you force college athletes to play.
but amateurism is a sham. Agree with most everything else you said

**** yes, cause once again, the NCAA uses amateurism when it’s convenient. Pro sports only make billionaires richer. College football funds scholarships and athletic departments. Both are unsafe right now but if we’re asking who needs the revenue more? Yeah I’m asking!

Gotcha. You're silly so I won't engage. Just couldn't figure out if you were being serious. Surprisingly you were being serious.

Advertisement
I don't think the board needed a disclaimer stating that my musings are almost exclusively opinions. But thanks for clearing that up for any individuals that may have been confused and/or are making life or health decisions off of a college football website.

I'll be offering financial advice later in the private investment forum. PM Paranos for the password.
Who cares.....
Seems like you feel the need to support your opinion with a poor attempt. Shows the ***** in your armor. Don't post in a public forum if you don't want to hear other people's opinions.

It wasn't meant to be an insult at you specifically- that's why I said "no offense". I just personally don't want to go down the longgggg path of debating all these virus related issues for the umpteenth time and if we're starting the discussion already disputing if the American response has been embarrassing or not then additional discourse is going to be fruitless and will only serve to clog another thread.

Likewise, stay safe.
Nuf said,

If you’re going there, the WHO, the CDC, most European countries, China, and many other countries should also be “embarrassed”

You won't find me defending the early actions of the WHO or the CDC and certainly not China, Brazil, Russia, etc at all.

Europe certainly isn't beyond reproach either based on how a lot of its countries initially handed it.
But you also got to look at how they eventually adapted their responses too and the commensurate success they've enjoyed and we have not.

I also hold the wealthiest and most powerful country to a little higher standard- especially since we were given a bit of a headstart too.

Advertisement
but amateurism is a sham. Agree with most everything else you said
I agreed that amateurism is a sham. It is only the NCAA trying to keep that nonsense up. This would strongly undercut that argument, especially if it is only football that gets played.

Who cares.....
Seems like you feel the need to support your opinion with a poor attempt. Shows the ***** in your armor. Don't post in a public forum if you don't want to hear other people's opinions.

Why are you more perturbed by my response to Gatorhater than he is? Has nothing to do with wanting to hear opinions. Just has to do with not always having endless debates.

Careful with the "***** in the armor" comment too. That got Max Bretos suspended.

Why are you more perturbed by my response to Gatorhater than he is? Has nothing to do with wanting to hear opinions. Just has to do with not always having endless debates.

Careful with the "***** in the armor" comment too. That got Max Bretos suspended.
Still defending. Lol yeah I'll leave the endless debate so people can wallow in their self pity.
Like I said don't post on a public forum if you can't take the push back ....

I agreed that amateurism is a sham. It is only the NCAA trying to keep that nonsense up. This would strongly undercut that argument, especially if it is only football that gets played.
so then is the virus really NOT concerning to NCAA?

Advertisement
Welp, that was quick. Season will probably be cancelled. At least the Marlins finished above .500.

Advertisement
so then is the virus really NOT concerning to NCAA?
I am not following what you are trying to get out of this but the NCAA is in a catch 22. Either they don't play the season and schools lose a lot of money, but preserve the amateurism argument. Or, they press on, deal with the inevitability that there will be COVID outbreaks and PR issues to sort out, make their money this year, but lose some of the argument of amateurism. However, keep this in mind too... the NCAA's exempt purpose to not pay income tax on their $1b in annual revenue is promotion of amateur athletics. So I do not know where they fall on this and frankly don't care either, since it is firmly out of any of our control.

If sports are going to work you have to have rules in place to keep athletes from going out. I knew this was gonna happen the moment I saw that video of Joey Gallo out at some concert or something after I believe the Rangers Saturday game. IMO it should be much easier to restrict college kids from going out than pros. All they need is some sort of bubble concept on campus or in team hotels near stadiums. It’s not gonna be as simple as I just states but it’s 100% doable.

Advertisement
Back