Markevious Brown (Part 2)

Advertisement
we dont have a choice, but w rumph, we wont land him anyways
We have a choice. The issue is how much will the staff try to land others? If it was Brown or no CB out of HS this class I'm taking nobody. That's me though. From the little bit that I've seen of him I'd rather take a chance on Curtis at CB(I know he's considered a WR now). I'm just not a fan. If we do land him I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Staff has moved on.
Clearly if the kid wanted to be here, he’d be committed by now. But what if whoever he is looking for doesn’t offer. The “we only want canes” argument is a bunch of nonsense. We would never have had guys like Kellen Winslow. Also we are in no position to take that stance at CB.

If they evaluated and don’t like what they see, that is great, but maybe they should have had a CB board bigger than 3 names. The problems go well beyond Rumph and they need to do a top down evaluation of what exactly is the disconnect at CB and LB in particular.

Advertisement
Purely speculating, but I would be shocked if he ended up in this class. Even if he came here, I think he would transfer within a year and a half.

I wonder if he is waiting on a bag that will never come.

Clearly if the kid wanted to be here, he’d be committed by now. But what if whoever he is looking for doesn’t offer. The “we only want canes” argument is a bunch of nonsense. We would never have had guys like Kellen Winslow. Also we are in no position to take that stance at CB.

If they evaluated and don’t like what they see, that is great, but maybe they should have had a CB board bigger than 3 names. The problems go well beyond Rumph and they need to do a top down evaluation of what exactly is the disconnect at CB and LB in particular.
Your second paragraph is one of the best post I've read when it comes to CB recruiting. LB recruiting since 2019 I've liked. Brooks & Huff has the speed we need. Hopefully by next season Brooks figure things out & Huff make the 2 deep. The 2020 class we added more speed in Austin -Cave & Flagg's instinct has him playing as a freshman before Covid hit him, & the 2021 class is cool so far.

But CB has been the worst recruited position since Diaz arrived imo. Their arrogance of recruiting 2-3 CBs at a time & their on & off style of recruiting CBs is dumbfounding. Hopefully we finish the season strong and can pull/flip 1 CB that has a chance to compete for playing time and 1 that has some tools but may need a year or two to develop. I won't hold my breath on any of that happening though.

Advertisement

Agreed. We all are more than upset with cb recruitng in what the last 5yrs?

Advertisement
Your second paragraph is one of the best post I've read when it comes to CB recruiting. LB recruiting since 2019 I've liked. Brooks & Huff has the speed we need. Hopefully by next season Brooks figure things out & Huff make the 2 deep. The 2020 class we added more speed in Austin -Cave & Flagg's instinct has him playing as a freshman before Covid hit him, & the 2021 class is cool so far.

But CB has been the worst recruited position since Diaz arrived imo. Their arrogance of recruiting 2-3 CBs at a time & their on & off style of recruiting CBs is dumbfounding. Hopefully we finish the season strong and can pull/flip 1 CB that has a chance to compete for playing time and 1 that has some tools but may need a year or two to develop. I won't hold my breath on any of that happening though.
I like the young LBs too. I guess the problem there was recruiting pre-2019, some bad luck with injuries, and an overall lack of development. The young talent I’m bullish on... Brooks, Flagg, Huff, TAC... but we need to develop them.

I agree on the second point. It really is not rocket science either. Pick your top tier and go hard for them. Have your next tier that you are happy to accept commitments from. Have your next tier that you keep in contact with, evaluate, get to know their character, and have them comfortable in case it gets to that level. But having 1-2 guys in each level for a position where you need to play 3-4 at a time in the modern game is stupid.

Advertisement
Back