Mark whipple wasnt really that bad

Nothing "decent" about 57 TOs including 44 INTs.

But I sorta agree with you about Nix vs Whipple, Nix's offenses had 59 TOs including 40 INTs, so they're neck & neck at best.

LOL, Shannon's tenure was plagued by TOs, 116 TOs including 84 INTs between Nix & Whipple...unreal.
The reason I called it decent was because it actually produced points, at least at times. Nix and Richt couldn't do that nearly as well. But yeah, the turnovers were brutal.

Advertisement
So stats are great unless they don’t conform to what I’m subjectively seeing, and then stats aren’t any good?

The entire point of advanced analytics is to remove the subjective element from it.

I always respect numbers because of my training but unless it's a hard science then it's not fool proof.

I'm weary of advanced stats in sports because they'll tell you guys like James Harden are efficient but then when you look at the basic stats like FG%, the team with the better FG% is likely going to win the game.

I don't like TS%.

And finally, I'm pretty confident that there is no R-squared test or any other major test of model quality. We know that the sports world is full of hot takes and opinions so when these network gets behind a metric I still see it as entertainment. If someone offered me a budget to sit down with some sports data and bang out some new stats, I would do it. Advanced stats don't determine if you'll win or lose.

If an OC has an offense that has decent stats but turns the ball over and causes the team the team to lose then...

Advertisement
I often look back at things that I thought were terrible experiences and think that they weren't as bad.......then I wake up sweating...glad that I'm not actually going through it again

Whipple's tenure is one of those.

Glad he's in our past....and not our present

Advertisement
Whipple's offense in 2010 averaged over 420 yards per game. Fisch's offense in 2011 averaged a pretty pathetic 377. My point isn't so much that Whipple was good, it's that Jed Fisch sucked worse.

Advertisement
Randys 4-3 Cover 2 was terribly exploited....

With just a little bit of disguised cover one and some zone, he could have fielded some amazing defenses.

Calling a random Tampa two or cover one robber when teams started going to those crossing routes would have got so many picks.

Man two is my favorite pass defense ever but running qbs and creative personnel alignment make it difficult to run. I remember how Petrino lined up wrs in the backfield to get them one on one with linebackers.

Randy leaned on it WAY too much.

Petrino exposed Shannon in ‘04 in the OB. They were ripping us apart. And that was a **** good defense.

That’s what good coaching does.

Louisville should not have been on the field with us. We were way better.

But their coach came up with wrinkles to attack our strength and turn it into a weakness.

Stubbornness has been the death knell for this team for almost 15 years.

I was meh on the Manny hire at first. After watching the moves he has made and having seen him adjust in game and season to season, I am more excited for Canes football than I have been in a while.

If something ain’t working, Manny gonna take his *** to the drawing board and figure something out. The days of losing winnable games while a stubborn coach throws players under the bus for not bowing before him as the Messiah of Football Strategy, are hopefully over.

Advertisement
This thread reminds that we've had plenty of talent come through here over the years but we've rarely played at or above it Bc of mediocre coaching.

I would have gleefully murdered this entire board with a spoon to have Mark Whipple calling the plays last year.

Actually, that's a bad example, I would gleefully murder most of you anyways.

No Thanks, I prefer an offense that can keep possession of the ball.

Advertisement
Back