Mark Walton has questionable vision

What's going on in here.....

Do I even have to say it?

Glad y'all boys coming around

Not to mention any other elite RB would have scored on that screen

Last edited:
Advertisement
seen a lot of runs where his vision is questionable. For exmaple here, this simply cannot happen. This is a huge run if he can make a basic read.

12:09

Was a good play call on 3rd down. Blocking was there. #63 on the pull gets a great block. Instead Walton runs the wrong way. What's he doing?

If he follows his block it looks like a huge run maybne a TD if he can make a move on the safety Lane. One guy to beat.

Run is @ 12:09

[video=youtube;R-yw2r1YkGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yw2r1YkGI[/video]

0Xb30w

Another frustrating thing about that play is ,if Walton just gets the 1st down, we more than likely run the clock out (2 min) and FSU doesnt have a chance to drive for a FG to end the half

Advertisement
Definitely has missed a few holes this year but he has also made some plays too. He will get better. Yearby should start getting more carries though

I've said this about Walton for a full year, and I get skewered for it, but the film and the results don't lie. Dude has ZERO vision or cutback ability. At best he should be your THIRD back, not first or second. He's solid team guy, but you don't even remotely have to game plan for him.

Good catch on the video at 12:09. I've given Richt **** about that particular 3rd down and 6 call, right after a TO, but it's good to see that actually was a great call that would've gone for at least 15-20 yards - with a good chance at housing it- had Walton followed his blocks and not run the wrong way

Walton got yanked in the Georgia Tech game for not following his blocks.
Same drive Yearby scored on in the 1st Quarter. They ran the same play twice. Once with Walton who tried to cutback and lost yardage, then Yearby got 11 yards on the same call.

It's mainly about discipline and knowing when to take 4 or 5 as opposed to always trying to bust it open.

Sometimes Mark just tries to do too much with a run, but he's a VERY good back. He ain't Cook/Fournette, but that doesn't make him average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. Either a RB has vision or cutback ability or they don't.

Walton is average, bruh (and he was below average last year...3.5 ypc). I don't know what else you need to see. Just look at his numbers, YPC against power-5 defenses, AND look at the videos.

Homer needs some of Walton's touches. Throw the kid into the fire so we can see what he can do

Aight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Good post by OP. On the whole, Walton and Yearby are very good backs. They aren't Portis and Gore but they're better than most of the starting backs in the ACC.

Homer is the truth. Kid has the goods, just needs to get stronger.

Hopefully we get into some blowouts and put him in for some game experience.

I personally like yearby better as an every down back. Then use walton in the redzone.

But that run that got called back for holding was a great run. Plus a terrible holding call.

Advertisement
I'd hate it if Rick is trying to make RBs hit a particular hole and benching them if they don't. RBs are like artists. You can play that position robotically.

Either Walton's vision and feel is clearly suspect, or they're telling RBs to run to choreographed spots.

No way they are telling RB's to run to choreographed spots. No coach would ever do that, especially a guy like Brown - who played RB at a high level and coached some good ones.

When you see a pulling guard go one direction that is where the RB is designed to go --the guard pulled left, and that's where the play was designed to go (clean open field with only one guy to beat). That guard is hustling over there to make that block for a reason. Namely, you're moving the guard/putting an extra blocker on that side of the field to get a numbers advantage.

RB's improvise all the time, and great RB's can make things happen when they see something develop outside of the design, but that ain't Walton.

This isnt always the case, sometimes the line block down which leaves the opposite d end unblocked so u have your guard pull to seal off that backside d end , a pulling lineman doesnt always means that the rb suppose to follow him

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel bad for Walton,can't ever remember a player having so many TDs called back and he's only been here a year and a half.But I saw him play a couple times in high school and saw nothing special like may were claiming.A better Eduardo Clements type.He made some great catches last year,I wonder if he would not make a good slot wr if we can sign a couple studs in this class and Homer steps up next spring.

Advertisement
Back