Mark Walton has questionable vision

Advertisement
I've said this about Walton for a full year, and I get skewered for it, but the film and the results don't lie. Dude has ZERO vision or cutback ability. At best he should be your THIRD back, not first or second. He's solid team guy, but you don't even remotely have to game plan for him.

Good catch on the video at 12:09. I've given Richt **** about that particular 3rd down and 6 call, right after a TO, but it's good to see that actually was a great call that would've gone for at least 15-20 yards - with a good chance at housing it- had Walton followed his blocks and not run the wrong way

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Yearby and Walton are incredibly different backs. I like Yearby in a zone blocking scheme - he's not Duke level of elite zone runner, but he definitely knows how to put his foot in the ground and get upfield. I really like what I see there. If we are in a single back set, Yearby should be in the game.

Walton I think has a special nose for the endzone, and I think he is better served as a between the tackles, traditional isolation lead blocker running back.

They are both legitimate receiving threats out of the backfield, so I thought maybe we would see Yearby in the slot some. Hasn't happened, at least to my knowledge. There would probably be some opportunity for gadget plays out of those sets too...but everything on offense has been so vanilla.

I was expecting to see them used that way this year - let Yearby loose between the 20's and bring in Walton to put up 6.

Here's another missed run by Walton. FSU basically has 10 men on the field (11th running on) and he runs right into the teeth of the d-line. He had an opportunity to bounce it outside as the d-line collapsed the middle and go one-on-one on Ermon Lane for a big gain.

Here's another missed run by Walton. FSU basically has 10 men on the field (11th running on) and he runs right into the teeth of the d-line. He had an opportunity to bounce it outside as the d-line collapsed the middle and go one-on-one on Ermon Lane for a big gain.

Actually this appears to be the same exact play as above. Perhaps his running path is by design, so is this a scheme issue or Mark Walton issue??

Advertisement
But people get offended when it's brought up our RBs are average.

We need game changers man

Too bad the best run of life got called back on a bull**** penalty.

Nothing wrong with Walton. He doesn't have Yearby's vision or cutting ability but he's an all around good running back. I like that when he gets near the end zone he can punch it in. That's something we have always struggled with in the past.

If the RT makes any kind of block that run goes for big yardage.

Advertisement
I'm not an XO guy any means, so this may sound retarded... But are there running plays designed to go through the hole evacuated by a pulling lineman to keep the defense honest on traps and power plays?

I thought this about Walton last year. I think he is doing better at this this season. But there are still head scratchers.

Here's the play...

Look at that. #63 drives his man back 5 yards. Only player to beat is the safety.

Im no expert, but it looks like he ran where he was supposed to or at least where he thought he was supposed to. Agree that following 63 would have worked out much better, but it doesn't look like Walton made a choice so much as ran where he(or Richt) had decided on pre-snap.

Advertisement
Here's the play...

Look at that. #63 drives his man back 5 yards. Only player to beat is the safety.

Im no expert, but it looks like he ran where he was supposed to or at least where he thought he was supposed to. Agree that following 63 would have worked out much better, but it doesn't look like Walton made a choice so much as ran where he(or Richt) had decided on pre-snap.

The play is designed to follow the pulling guard so, no, he did not run where he was supposed to. What he saw was what looked like a hole open up on the back side because the DL got so much push upfield. What he did not see was Matthew Thomas unblocked waiting to fill that hole.

Actually this appears to be the same exact play as above. Perhaps his running path is by design, so is this a scheme issue or Mark Walton issue??

U gotta ask yaself what would cook do

Advertisement
Back