Mark Walton has questionable vision

Here's another missed run by Walton. FSU basically has 10 men on the field (11th running on) and he runs right into the teeth of the d-line. He had an opportunity to bounce it outside as the d-line collapsed the middle and go one-on-one on Ermon Lane for a big gain.

Actually this appears to be the same exact play as above. Perhaps his running path is by design, so is this a scheme issue or Mark Walton issue??

U gotta ask yaself what would cook do

Why?

Advertisement
Here's another missed run by Walton. FSU basically has 10 men on the field (11th running on) and he runs right into the teeth of the d-line. He had an opportunity to bounce it outside as the d-line collapsed the middle and go one-on-one on Ermon Lane for a big gain.

Actually this appears to be the same exact play as above. Perhaps his running path is by design, so is this a scheme issue or Mark Walton issue??

Why?

3-man front and our RT gets pushed back and into Walton. If he seals the edge at all there, Walton gets through that hole for at least 5 yards. WR has the LB sealed, only real threat is the deep safety. This play has less to do with Walton's vision and more to do with our RT getting whipped.

CturPnFUIAAn6nP.jpg:small

CturQzXUIAA8bJa.jpg:small

CturR5SVYAAGk_H.jpg:small

He's done it at least 3 times the past 2 weeks. That hole is usually going to be there on shotgun single back power because the backside OT tries to get the DE upfield. Problem is the center is blocking the DT backside and the backside LB is either unblocked or getting blocked into the "open" hole. It's on Walton for running the wrong way but coaches need to tell him that cutting backside on power isn't an option.

Shouldn't matter where the play is designed to go. The elite and best running backs have a combo of patience/vision that can improvise a play and find the best hole. They can find subtle ways of slowing up and allow the play to develop and then explode through it. I'd argue that his long run against App St on the first play could've been a lot easier with a simple cut in the hole. I just don't think he sees it.

Also for the people who say he's a year younger, patience and vision is something you have or you don't as a RB IMO.

TROLL much?

seen a lot of runs where his vision is questionable. For exmaple here, this simply cannot happen. This is a huge run if he can make a basic read.

12:09

Was a good play call on 3rd down. Blocking was there. #63 on the pull gets a great block. Instead Walton runs the wrong way. What's he doing?

If he follows his block it looks like a huge run maybne a TD if he can make a move on the safety Lane. One guy to beat.

Run is @ 12:09

[video=youtube;R-yw2r1YkGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yw2r1YkGI[/video]

0Xb30w

Advertisement
seen a lot of runs where his vision is questionable. For exmaple here, this simply cannot happen. This is a huge run if he can make a basic read.

12:09

Was a good play call on 3rd down. Blocking was there. #63 on the pull gets a great block. Instead Walton runs the wrong way. What's he doing?

If he follows his block it looks like a huge run maybne a TD if he can make a move on the safety Lane. One guy to beat.

Run is @ 12:09

[video=youtube;R-yw2r1YkGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yw2r1YkGI[/video]

0Xb30w

amazing how many times kaaya throw it 4 ft over the head not giving his wr a chance. He cost us the game

I'm not defending Mark Walton, but I have to think that its a play design issue, and that the coaches told him that they want him running to that gap.

Walton has the most big play ability of the three running backs I've seen play but I agree on his vision being suspect. If playing running back was as simple as taking the handoff and running exactly through a hole were the play is supposed to go, anybody remotely quick could play the position. Walton reminds me of Graig Cooper. Running right into the backs of his linemen when there was a hole just to the right/left of where he went.

Is there video of Yearby running a similar play this year? I'd be curious to see the results.

Advertisement
Here's the play...

Look at that. #63 drives his man back 5 yards. Only player to beat is the safety.

Im no expert, but it looks like he ran where he was supposed to or at least where he thought he was supposed to. Agree that following 63 would have worked out much better, but it doesn't look like Walton made a choice so much as ran where he(or Richt) had decided on pre-snap.

The play is designed to follow the pulling guard so, no, he did not run where he was supposed to. What he saw was what looked like a hole open up on the back side because the DL got so much push upfield. What he did not see was Matthew Thomas unblocked waiting to fill that hole.

This was my thought exactly. If the RG is pulling left, and you are taking the handoff directly N/S to the LOS, you have to think that the play is designed to follow the pulling guard. And every time I rewatch it I can't help but think this probably would have gone for a touchdown. The safety bails out and Isidora just obliterates his guy.

Water under the bridge but since you mentioned it. Cook is the biggest fish to get out of Miami that I can ever remember . Put Cook on Miami and we win the last 3.

I really believe going forward and as the years roll by, Richt's classes will get better and better and the game changers wont get away like that.

Advertisement
But people get offended when it's brought up our RBs are average.

We need game changers man

Because average backs don't house the run he houses and got called back.

He has a deficiency. That deficiency doesn't make him average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said this about Walton for a full year, and I get skewered for it, but the film and the results don't lie. Dude has ZERO vision or cutback ability. At best he should be your THIRD back, not first or second. He's solid team guy, but you don't even remotely have to game plan for him.

Good catch on the video at 12:09. I've given Richt **** about that particular 3rd down and 6 call, right after a TO, but it's good to see that actually was a great call that would've gone for at least 15-20 yards - with a good chance at housing it- had Walton followed his blocks and not run the wrong way

Walton got yanked in the Georgia Tech game for not following his blocks.
Same drive Yearby scored on in the 1st Quarter. They ran the same play twice. Once with Walton who tried to cutback and lost yardage, then Yearby got 11 yards on the same call.

It's mainly about discipline and knowing when to take 4 or 5 as opposed to always trying to bust it open.

Sometimes Mark just tries to do too much with a run, but he's a VERY good back. He ain't Cook/Fournette, but that doesn't make him average.

I've said this about Walton for a full year, and I get skewered for it, but the film and the results don't lie. Dude has ZERO vision or cutback ability. At best he should be your THIRD back, not first or second. He's solid team guy, but you don't even remotely have to game plan for him.

Good catch on the video at 12:09. I've given Richt **** about that particular 3rd down and 6 call, right after a TO, but it's good to see that actually was a great call that would've gone for at least 15-20 yards - with a good chance at housing it- had Walton followed his blocks and not run the wrong way

Same drive Yearby scored on in the 1st Quarter. They ran the same play twice. Once with Walton who tried to cutback and lost yardage, then Yearby got 11 yards on the same call.

It's mainly about discipline and knowing when to take 4 or 5 as opposed to always trying to bust it open.

Sometimes Mark just tries to do too much with a run, but he's a VERY good back. He ain't Cook/Fournette, but that doesn't make him average.

Agreed with this. Yearby is just a pure running back out of the womb type, but Walton has all the tools to be really really good. Nether are elite, but that doesn't mean they can't win games for us. This back and forth that changes every week is just stupid.

Advertisement

I disagree. Either a RB has vision or cutback ability or they don't.

Walton is average, bruh (and he was below average last year...3.5 ypc). I don't know what else you need to see. Just look at his numbers, YPC against power-5 defenses, AND look at the videos.

Homer needs some of Walton's touches. Throw the kid into the fire so we can see what he can do

I'd hate it if Rick is trying to make RBs hit a particular hole and benching them if they don't. RBs are like artists. You can play that position robotically.

Either Walton's vision and feel is clearly suspect, or they're telling RBs to run to choreographed spots.

I'd hate it if Rick is trying to make RBs hit a particular hole and benching them if they don't. RBs are like artists. You can play that position robotically.

Either Walton's vision and feel is clearly suspect, or they're telling RBs to run to choreographed spots.

No way they are telling RB's to run to choreographed spots. No coach would ever do that, especially a guy like Brown - who played RB at a high level and coached some good ones.

When you see a pulling guard go one direction that is where the RB is designed to go --the guard pulled left, and that's where the play was designed to go (clean open field with only one guy to beat). That guard is hustling over there to make that block for a reason. Namely, you're moving the guard/putting an extra blocker on that side of the field to get a numbers advantage.

RB's improvise all the time, and great RB's can make things happen when they see something develop outside of the design, but that ain't Walton.

Advertisement
Back