Mark Pope’s dismissal from JSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I find interesting about Deion is how some are all down on him because he split. If you know Deion, you knew **** well he's too big for JSU and it was just a place to get his feet wet. He talked the game, every coach in America does that no matter where they are employed. He brought more attention to that school nationally in the time he was there than the 20 or more before it. If you fell for all of it and expected him to be about JSU or HBCU for life, that's on you.

Still think he could've handled it better. There are moments private from every documentary or footage, call a private team meeting. I don't know if it was premeditated or he flipped a switch right there and decided we're discussing this Pope thing. I don't know I only see what is shown, nothing before or after.

Not a good look, but then Pope did Pope things and that's that.

Advertisement
There are a couple questions I have for you that I won’t ask you in public out of respect for this forum but if the answers I expect I will get are correct it’ll explain why my stance is what it is and why you just typed that entire paragraph that involved making up names for people who don’t agree with you on a polarizing subject who happens to be one of the best ever. I’ll leave all things Deion alone from now on. Cause eye KNOW why I’m getting some of the responses I am
Yeah… ok. I’m sure that’s it.

To be fair, it has nothing to do with FSU. It’s because his name is being rumored for a recruit that’s committed to us. Most laughed when he flipped Hunter from FSU but everything changed once he got Coleman and now CM is being rumored to flip (I doubt it but who knows). I’m confused because these same posters bashed Pope all the time when he was here. The acted like they wanted to cut him from the team a long time ago. Would I have did what Deion did? Naw but I wouldn’t have a reality show as a coach either. Then again, I don’t know what Pope did. I mean according to fanbase he was a bad teammate here (I don’t know, imo he just didn’t live up to the hype). I mean the team knew who Deion was addressing, they all were quick with their decisions. His homeboys had his back but many of his teammates was fed up.
This is where I’m at with it. This was a great response. More importantly look at how you worded it. The undertones in a lot of the words other people chose told me all I needed to know. You don’t have to like Deion but I can spot bias a mile away with how you describe him. That’s all. Especially considering maybe only 3 or 4 people on this site I know have even met the guy.

Reactions: E1k
Advertisement
I couldn’t give 3 flying fvcks about prime or pope put together

I don’t disagree with the private thing. Do I think how it happened is the worst thing in the world? No I don’t think so lol
If he does this privately I don't think many would have a problem with how it went down. I see a tweet on here that MP got kicked off the team at JSU, my reaction would be 'whatever, not surprised.' Outside of anyone providing an insider reason why I probably don't even go back in the thread. Putting the video in public was wrong, that kind of player interaction should stay in-house imo.

This is where I’m at with it. This was a great response. More importantly look at how you worded it. The undertones in a lot of the words other people chose told me all I needed to know. You don’t have to like Deion but I can spot bias a mile away with how you describe him. That’s all. Especially considering maybe only 3 or 4 people on this site I know have even met the guy.
What kind of bias do I have because I don’t like what he did publicly and the way he did it???

Advertisement
If he does this privately I don't think many would have a problem with how it went down. I see a tweet on here that MP got kicked off the team at JSU, my reaction would be 'whatever, not surprised.' Outside of anyone providing an insider reason why I probably don't even go back in the thread. Putting the video in public was wrong, that kind of player interaction should stay in-house imo.
That’s what I would have done as well. Handled it privately.

Prior to JSU as institution and a football team getting involved with this show there had to be a conversation as to what that would look like for them.

If Deion told his team that he is going to be the same person whether the camera is there or not and if they have concerns about being embarrassed on camera then they need to temper themselves then I’m fine with how it was handled.

But if by some chance he was being extra because the cameras were around and he’s trying to make for good tv then that’s lame AF and what kid wants to sign up for that? 🙄

See what I mean?

No accountability.
I don’t disagree with what you are saying or with kicking him off the team. I have a problem with how it was handled. I have a problem with people calling “pick up your kids” no different. I have a problem with posters trying to add or insinuate race as well because people don’t like it and rip it the way me and some others have. Maybe he’s just about attention and it’s substantive criticism based on his actions.

Advertisement
To be fair, it has nothing to do with FSU. It’s because his name is being rumored for a recruit that’s committed to us. Most laughed when he flipped Hunter from FSU but everything changed once he got Coleman and now CM is being rumored to flip (I doubt it but who knows). I’m confused because these same posters bashed Pope all the time when he was here. The acted like they wanted to cut him from the team a long time ago. Would I have did what Deion did? Naw but I wouldn’t have a reality show as a coach either. Then again, I don’t know what Pope did. I mean according to fanbase he was a bad teammate here (I don’t know, imo he just didn’t live up to the hype). I mean the team knew who Deion was addressing, they all were quick with their decisions. His homeboys had his back but many of his teammates was fed up.
I don’t know the whole backstory like others here do on Pope and what he did here or at CU.

I personally don’t feel that people are ****ting on him for not living up to expectations. An example of not living up to expectations, and I know there are plenty, could be someone like Ryan Moore, since we are talking receivers and he did pretty well here, but didn’t live up to the 5 star hype.

But Pope got kicked out here after Manny of all people gave him chances after chances before he got benched in Manny’s last year and now Deion kicks him off as well.

Regardless of what the behind the scenes situation is, me, speaking for me, I don’t care if the kid is Kam Kinchens, Mark Pope, Ray Lewis, whoever, I wouldn’t have done him like that. That’s just me.

I can see both sides of the argument for doing it one way vs the other. ****, we all like watching Last Chance U and what that was about, but I always felt bad for those college kids when they got kicked off the team wether deserved or not and always preferred for it to be done in private.

You are supposed to try and build up young men and never give up on them. Not tear them down at their lowest point.

Just my view on it.

Pope was publicly acting an *** and disgracing the “family” as Deion called it. He addressed a lot of that behind closed doors including mark’s first offense. This was an example
What exactly was pope doing? It keeps being insinuated but no one has explicitly said anything. You think what deon did was ok then speak in the offenses being that you know people on the team and all. dont be vague and say not my place or it’s a private matter. Put it on blast

I don’t disagree with what you are saying or with kicking him off the team. I have a problem with how it was handled. I have a problem with people calling “pick up your kids” no different. I have a problem with posters trying to add or insinuate race as well because people don’t like it and rip it the way me and some others have. Maybe he’s just about attention and it’s substantive criticism. 🤦🏻‍♂️

We both do.

Deion is an *******. Plain and simple.

A self-serving *******.

That being said, Pope has now failed at two places with the same behavior. If he wants to take advantage of his God-given physical gifts, he better hurry up and figure out what he's doing wrong that is causing him to fail.

If he doesn't he'll be a failure wherever he goes. There will always be another Deion, or Likens, or Manny, or Cristobal to lookout for as an adult in your career.

Advertisement
I mean I think most people with your stance already have a natural dislike for Deion in all honesty. And no matter what he does you’ll find a way to hate him, I saw you make a joke about him diving to miss tackles and all that. I think you’re bias. I relate to him as he and I are a lot alike so you and I like most on this board are gonna disagree on all things Deion. I do think it could have went differently but when you start killing him for this y’all lose me

Same here.

What exactly was pope doing? It keeps being insinuated but no one has explicitly said anything. You think what deon did was ok then speak in the offenses being that you know people on the team and all. dont be vague and say not my place or it’s a private matter. Put it on blast
It appears he showed up in August to camp....didnt make the first away game...he said for no reason...and entered the transfer portal..i guess they let him back on the team.... he likely was a malcontent after that as he wasnt getting much reps or pt...he then said ***** this sh*t i wanna go home* so then it likely got back to deion n then that happened on the video....

it appears to be somewhere in between that...as that was Pope's version. Like i stated before not sure other than chasin clout why did he decide to transfer there in the first place. It wasnt a good fit and they had a lot of mouths to feed nad talent at wr.

I just think y’all let being Miami fans dictate y’all whole reality and I can’t really get with it. The dude played for fsu 75 years ago. Now you just hating with no aim imo.
He doesnt even rep for fsu is the funny part and sent....NONE of his kids there. They were hating this man when he was at JSU you know whats gonna happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back