Mario's recruiting vs Lane's offense

Soooooo what would you rather have?

• Total voters
Respectfully, how can we not expect a top 5 class from Mario every year? Recruiting is what he does. It is well documented that he would have to have anything he asks for in order for him to come. He gets that at Oregon, so I get it. If we give him that he must deliver. If Mario comes, we will be paying money that we NEVER have paid to him, his staff and his recuriting budget. A top 5 class is a minimal expectation with all of that money that we would have to invest.
Not the first class. Top 3 automatically is going to be Bama, UGA, Ohio State. The next group will be LSU( they dropping bags at a high rate for the new coach), Texas a&m, Oklahoma, Clemson, Texas and Norte Dame.

Just naming those teams I’m not expecting a top 5 class no matter who ever the coach is in 2023. But if we are turning things around on the field 2023 and showing some type of promise. I will expect top class in 2024.

What I expect in 2023 is legit recruiting in the trenches… plain and simple. Get some kids gets that look and play physical ball. Not getting the plan C-D kids after UGA or Bama sends the “ wyd” text to the Plan A-B kids.

We will lose some kids but I expect to get commits from kids and everyone is legit shocked Mario won the battle.

Advertisement
When you get beyond "Mario is a great recruiter" reality starts to hit. There are 3 HCs in the SEC alone who you'd take over Mario as recruiters and unfortunately they spend plenty of time in Miami's backyard and recruits are receptive. Jimbo, Kirby and Saban. Throw in whoever gets the LSU job as another problem. Then you've got Ryan Day and Dabo. Notre Dame will always recruit well. Oklahoma too. You're already at 8 schools. USC if they hire the right guy. Texas can be a top ten recruiting program.

Expecting some type of recruiting revolution early seems a little too hopeful. He's gonna need early on-field success and the way he likes to play offense does not lean in to our strengths on that side of the ball. Can he hire a DC and use the portal for immediate help that will keep him above water as he fixes the OL to run the offense he wants are the questions. Maybe he decides not to hire a Moorehead type as an OC and opens it up. Bad losses that hurt those early classes are a possibility.
stop making sense. Astute answer and valid points

Mario’s classes at Oregon going back to 2018 have been #13, #7, #11 and #6 last year. Currently at #10 for 22. Although Oregon has a ton of resources they also don’t have a lot of local talent. Saying top 15 is a bit conservative. Even with the competition we face for recruits he should have perennial top 10 classes with some top 5 classes sprinkled in.

Advertisement
The fact that there is already some preemptive excuse making and lowering of the bar on Luigi's recruiting expectations leads me to believe that we would also eventually be told that he deserves at least 5 years to get all his guys in here and developed and to purge to the stench of Blake and Manny.

Year 1 there needs to be at least a Manny level of success with the Portal. Top 10 class in year 2. Top 5 class in year 3. Anything less and we've been lied to.

How do you become a recruiting school? You win alot of games and pay. Is Mario gonna win enough games early to get to become a recruiting power here? He aint a wizard. No wands getting waved and all the recruits sign. He's gonna have to beat out the most ruthless recruiters in the game and then back it up with winning. Going 8-4 and 9-3 in years 1-2 aint gonna cut it.
Let’s not pretend with this current roster and any competent HC, that we wouldn’t be sitting at 8 wins right now. Our record is directly reflected upon coaching. In year 1, I don’t expect Cristobal to win 10+ games because of the staff overhaul and players transferring. In year 2 with some help from the portal Mario has just as high of a ceiling as Lane would. Now in terms of recruiting, his first year (if we’re being technical) will probably be similar to Richt’s first year falling within that 12-22 range. You say he has to go head to head with SEC powerhouses. (Smart, Kirby, Jimbo) and whoever LSU hires. Okay fair, but either Cristobal a savage on the trail or he’s not. Im willing to bet he is even without Bama or Oregon money, and if that 30-40 million number is correct than that’s more than enough for resources and hiring the right staff. We forget that Cristobal was Bama’s best recruiter during his tenure there. Finished top 2 recruiter in (2015-2016). Signed 7 five stars (3 from south Florida) during his tenure….. Credit Bags, Success, Bama Logo whatever, but I’ve seen CMR and the shell of himself do the bare minimum here, get 10 wins and then proceed to fumble the season away with late losses and still manage to finish with a top 8 class. I’m willing to bet Mario C would have a better record and class ranking by year 3 than CMR and Manny.

Let’s not pretend with this current roster and any competent HC, that we wouldn’t be sitting at 8 wins right now. Our record is directly reflected upon coaching. In year 1, I don’t expect Cristobal to win 10+ games because of the staff overhaul and players transferring. In year 2 with some help from the portal Mario has just as high of a ceiling as Lane would. Now in terms of recruiting, his first year (if we’re being technical) will probably be similar to Richt’s first year falling within that 12-22 range. You say he has to go head to head with SEC powerhouses. (Smart, Kirby, Jimbo) and whoever LSU hires. Okay fair, but either Cristobal a savage on the trail or he’s not. Im willing to bet he is even without Bama or Oregon money, and if that 30-40 million number is correct than that’s more than enough for resources and hiring the right staff. We forget that Cristobal was Bama’s best recruiter during his tenure there. Finished top 2 recruiter in (2015-2016). Signed 7 five stars (3 from south Florida) during his tenure….. Credit Bags, Success, Bama Logo whatever, but I’ve seen CMR and the shell of himself do the bare minimum here, get 10 wins and then proceed to fumble the season away with late losses and still manage to finish with a top 8 class. I’m willing to bet Mario C would have a better record and class ranking by year 3 than CMR and Manny.
Bet all you like. All I did was lay out the reality of situation. Trust me, no has forgotten what Mario the recruiter did at Bama. It is one of the main selling points by people who can't wait to have him. Leaning on he's a great recruiter now is fine but go through what Bama has done since he left. Has the south Florida to Bama train stopped rolling? Bama just had a guy from Marshall come in and win National Recruiter of the Year. Coach Kul who couldn't recruit here or at Missouri did just fine there. The place recruits itself.

“It’s a good honor but I think it says a lot about the Alabama football program and the infrastructure there,” Huff told 247Sports. “When you become Recruiter Of The Year obviously you didn’t do it by yourself and there are a lot of people that worked behind the scenes and a lot of coaches that had a hand in that as well. I think it speaks for the organizational infrastructure that Coach (Nick) Saban put in place.

Advertisement
I think both would be huge upgrades from our current situation, and I like both -- but give me the cultural foundation that Cristobal would bring to the table.

With that said, I would hope our powers would be would nudge him to a bright, forward thinking offensive coordinator/philosophy

Lane Kiffin recruited just fine at Tennessee and USC. His one full cycle at Tennessee that he never got to coach because he took the USC job finished 7th in the country according to 247. The transition class he had to lock down when he took the Tennessee job finished 8th.

His full cycle USC classes were 3rd, 8th and 13th. Those classes came while dealing with sanctions and losing 30 scholies over three seasons because of the Reggie Bush investigation.

Mario doesn't hold some decided edge there when it comes to results.
Uh...Yes he does...Mario will Destroy Kiffin recruiting S Fl....No contest...

Advertisement
It's seemingly comes down to which you think is more important, moving forward. From how our last coaching search turned out, I honestly couldn't, and wouldn't, be any happier if our search led us to one of these two choices.

That said, which coaches strength would you prefer at UM? I think Lane's creativity, with our current talent at skill positions, blows away the ACC. He might not recruit on the level of Cristobal, but he definitely knows how to maximize on talent that he does get.

What do you think ?
I don’t know why were are remotely doubting Kiffin’s recruitment! He made and is making miracles at 2 star FAU AND 3 star OLE miss, we are 4 star U and man, he gets the most out of kids and kids want to play for him! I am in on Lane

Uh...Yes he does...Mario will Destroy Kiffin recruiting S Fl....No contest...
Idk about destroy…I think he’s better but you guys aren’t giving kiffin his credit with recruiting. **** - what he did during his time at USC (recruiting wise) while they were on probation and losing 30 scholies might be more impressive.

Advertisement
That’s a fair question, but as a head coach why I prefer MC is:
1) As a leader of young men I believe Cristobal would build and maintain a strong culture. That is important when trying to sustain success or bounce back after a tough loss.
2) All head coaches are opportunists, but Lane has shown that it doesn’t take much to get him to leave. I believe Miami is Mario’s dream job and would stick around for the long haul even if higher profile programs came calling.

Agreed but there's no "higher profile" program in college when Miami is winning.. we're on par or greater than them all.. successful coaches move to the NFL from here

Give me Lane's offense and make this an exciting brand of football again. Recruiting will solve for itself in a hurry.

Lashlee would have done more with Herbert than whatever Mario/staff did, so recruiting doesn't mean everything.

Advertisement
Back