Mario's recruiting vs Lane's offense

Soooooo what would you rather have?

• Total voters

canadianhurricane

Sophomore
It's seemingly comes down to which you think is more important, moving forward. From how our last coaching search turned out, I honestly couldn't, and wouldn't, be any happier if our search led us to one of these two choices.

That said, which coaches strength would you prefer at UM? I think Lane's creativity, with our current talent at skill positions, blows away the ACC. He might not recruit on the level of Cristobal, but he definitely knows how to maximize on talent that he does get.

What do you think ?

Advertisement
That’s a fair question, but as a head coach why I prefer MC is:
1) As a leader of young men I believe Cristobal would build and maintain a strong culture. That is important when trying to sustain success or bounce back after a tough loss.
2) All head coaches are opportunists, but Lane has shown that it doesn’t take much to get him to leave. I believe Miami is Mario’s dream job and would stick around for the long haul even if higher profile programs came calling.

Advertisement
All offenses/defenses are eventually figured out.

Give me Mario and his recruiting every time.

Recruiting isn't just about the guys you get. Its also about the guys you're preventing everyone else from getting. A 5* could turn into a jag for us for any number of reasons, but that same jag could also turn into something special somewhere else. If Mario's recruiting can keep those top tier guys from getting the chance to develop elsewhere, its a win regardless of how they eventually preform for us.

Lane Kiffin recruited just fine at Tennessee and USC. His one full cycle at Tennessee that he never got to coach because he took the USC job finished 7th in the country according to 247. The transition class he had to lock down when he took the Tennessee job finished 8th.

His full cycle USC classes were 3rd, 8th and 13th. Those classes came while dealing with sanctions and losing 30 scholies over three seasons because of the Reggie Bush investigation.

Mario doesn't hold some decided edge there when it comes to results.

Advertisement
That’s a fair question, but as a head coach why I prefer MC is:
1) As a leader of young men I believe Cristobal would build and maintain a strong culture. That is important when trying to sustain success or bounce back after a tough loss.
2) All head coaches are opportunists, but Lane has shown that it doesn’t take much to get him to leave. I believe Miami is Mario’s dream job and would stick around for the long haul even if higher profile programs came calling.
This! We need that strong culture. That’s how you build a program. Not by 2-3 years of a fun offense

You recruit both sides of the ball. Offense is only one.

I do think playcalling will win games and improve recruiting, but there is more to Mario than just recruiting.

How does Lane get along with staff? With admins? Parents? Players?

Lane would win games, but he left a mess behind most places he has coached.

I like both coaches but I prefer Mario because of the culture he’s built at Oregon. The Ducks used to be called soft and now they bully teams.

Advertisement
The Offensive guru model (Lane) is fun as **** to watch. But I can't think of a single Championship program or team that was built on that model. Not one. The OC Guru model always seems to come up short. If someone can prove me wrong, please - I'd be happy to hear.

Champions are built with a foundation that recruits, develops, game plans, and adjusts with the changes in the game over time. Saban, Dabo, Urban, and all the Miami programs didi it that way. I think Mario is trying to build programs that way. Will he be successful in Miami? Who knows. But I think it's a better model in the long run.

For the record - I'd be happy to have Lane here. It'd be a massive upgrade over Manny. But in the long run, I think a Mario style program has more of a long term winning pedigree.

It's seemingly comes down to which you think is more important, moving forward. From how our last coaching search turned out, I honestly couldn't, and wouldn't, be any happier if our search led us to one of these two choices.

That said, which coaches strength would you prefer at UM? I think Lane's creativity, with our current talent at skill positions, blows away the ACC. He might not recruit on the level of Cristobal, but he definitely knows how to maximize on talent that he does get.

What do you think ?

Based on his innovative offensive system alone, Chip Kelly had Oregon playing in the national championship and he is literally one of the worst recruiting HCs in the last 20 years. Recruits and players loathed him but he still landed decent classes because Oregon was the talk of the CFB world. He took over team that had a blue chip ratio somewhere in the low 30s (if even that high) and they went 10-3 (2010), 12-1, 12-2, 12-1, 11-2 (now with Helfrich doing his Chip Kelly imitation), 13-2, 9-4, 4-8 (Helfrich wasn't Chip Kelly!)

But let's talk recruiting. In his 2nd full class after going 12-1, Kelly landed the #14 class. After 12-2, the #19 class. After another 12-1 season the #21 class. UM went 6-6, and Al Golden, with the Shapiro cloud over the program, got the #10 class (better than Oregon at 14). Then 7-6 got the #14 class (better than Oregon at 19), then 9-4 and the #12 class (better than Oregon at 21). Oregon smoked UM in terms of W/L record, but we were still beating them in recruiting with Al Golden!

Now I know what you are going to say, Kelly was just having success with Bellottis recruits. Wrong. 6 seasons after Kelly took the HC job and when Helfrich was HC (meaning basically zero Bellotti recruits still on the roster), Helfrich went 13-2. So what's the point? Despite recruiting worse than Miami for nearly the entire time Kelly and Helfrich were there, they had a championship caliber program for around 6 straight years because Kellys offense was one of the best in cfb.

Advertisement
The Offensive guru model (Lane) is fun as **** to watch. But I can't think of a single Championship program or team that was built on that model. Not one. The OC Guru model always seems to come up short. If someone can prove me wrong, please - I'd be happy to hear.

Champions are built with a foundation that recruits, develops, game plans, and adjusts with the changes in the game over time. Saban, Dabo, Urban, and all the Miami programs didi it that way. I think Mario is trying to build programs that way. Will he be successful in Miami? Who knows. But I think it's a better model in the long run.

For the record - I'd be happy to have Lane here. It'd be a massive upgrade over Manny. But in the long run, I think a Mario style program has more of a long term winning pedigree.
We have the portal now. We can eliminate weaknesses if we have any overnight with one or two transfers. Look at what LSU did 2 years ago.

Advertisement
Back