Mario's recruiting vs Lane's offense

Soooooo what would you rather have?

• Total voters
Advertisement
I like both coaches but I prefer Mario because of the culture he’s built at Oregon. The Ducks used to be called soft and now they bully teams.
Exactly man
It’s been a long time I’ve seen this bunch bully anyone

What are the expectations for Mario’s first class here, top 5?
Top 10 is gonna be tough
Even in acc
Unc Clemson and now fsu recruiting well
And if vt gets freeze he’s proven to be a monster on the trail
So top 10 and top 2 in acc is realistic

Advertisement
What if Kiffin gets a monster defensive staff that can also recruit and brings his S&C coach. Would that balance out the recruiting? I'm curious who yall guys think would win this year between Ole Miss and Oregon on neutral field?

Top 10 is gonna be tough
Even in acc
Unc Clemson and now fsu recruiting well
And if vt gets freeze he’s proven to be a monster on the trail
So top 10 and top 2 in acc is realistic
If it’s easier to recruit at Miami & Mario is the best recruiter HC in the Nation not named Saban or Smart, why would it be tough?

He should roll outta bed & have a top 5 class for 23 no?

Especially with first class bump too, even Diaz had a #11 class in 2021 & he’s a complete dolt.

Advertisement
We have the portal now. We can eliminate weaknesses if we have any overnight with one or two transfers. Look at what LSU did 2 years ago.
Good point. But 1.5 years later, LSU looks like a one-hit wonder and Coach O is out of a job. And he doesn't fit either the Offensive Guru (Lane) model or the Program Builder (Mario) model that OP was asking about. So I'm not sure it's a fair rebuttal.

To be sure, my hope is to build a lasting winning program that adapts and wins as the game changes. And I think Mario gives us a better opportunity to do that. I think he'd look to do what Saban did (hire a guru like Lane) to be his OC and re-load when said guru goes off to greener pastures.

In other words - build a program - not a system.

If it’s easier to recruit at Miami & Mario is the best recruiter HC in the Nation not named Saban or Smart, why would it be tough?

He should roll outta bed & have a top 5 class for 23 no?

Especially with first class bump too, even Diaz had a #11 class in 2021 & he’s a complete dolt.
He may break the ratings scale.
1637374785474.gif

Advertisement
Will Lane pay attention to the defense and actually recruit defense?
Honestly it's not even about recruiting to me.

I think Cristobal is the better recruiter of the two, but I'm constantly told that Kiffin can recruit (albeit the Mississippi HS Head Coaches interviewed recently don't think so!).

It's about evaluation, development and culture. I'm struggling to envision a scenario where Kiffin doesn't eventually burn it all down. He's a ****head - which is fun in short doses, but not how you build a programme.

Based on his innovative offensive system alone, Chip Kelly had Oregon playing in the national championship and he is literally one of the worst recruiting HCs in the last 20 years. Recruits and players loathed him but he still landed decent classes because Oregon was the talk of the CFB world. He took over team that had a blue chip ratio somewhere in the low 30s (if even that high) and they went 10-3 (2010), 12-1, 12-2, 12-1, 11-2 (now with Helfrich doing his Chip Kelly imitation), 13-2, 9-4, 4-8 (Helfrich wasn't Chip Kelly!)

But let's talk recruiting. In his 2nd full class after going 12-1, Kelly landed the #14 class. After 12-2, the #19 class. After another 12-1 season the #21 class. UM went 6-6, and Al Golden, with the Shapiro cloud over the program, got the #10 class (better than Oregon at 14). Then 7-6 got the #14 class (better than Oregon at 19), then 9-4 and the #12 class (better than Oregon at 21). Oregon smoked UM in terms of W/L record, but we were still beating them in recruiting with Al Golden!

Now I know what you are going to say, Kelly was just having success with Bellottis recruits. Wrong. 6 seasons after Kelly took the HC job and when Helfrich was HC (meaning basically zero Bellotti recruits still on the roster), Helfrich went 13-2. So what's the point? Despite recruiting worse than Miami for nearly the entire time Kelly and Helfrich were there, they had a championship caliber program for around 6 straight years because Kellys offense was one of the best in cfb.
You make excellent points. But my takeaway is this: Chip Kelly should never be a HC. He should be an OC. Because 10 years later, he never won anything and now, has a hard time fielding a competitive team (nobody wants to play for him and DCs have figured his scheme out).

Along the same lines, Al Golden - who could recruit - needed to put his stubborn pride aside and put in place Coordinators that could develop and maximize that talent. He also couldn't win.

So the right mix in my mind is a HC who can recruit talent, then have in place the right people to develop and deploy that talent. That's what Schnelly and JJ did. It's what Saban, Urban, and Dabo have done. Of the options OP gave us, Mario has a better chance of fitting that model IMO.

Advertisement
Richt had a #12 ranked class for 2017 & #8 ranked class for 2018.

Diaz had #17 ranked class for 2020 & #11 ranked class for 2021.

Cristobal is a significantly better recruiter than both, plus with first year bump that all new coaches get, anything outside of top 10 seems low if you ask me...

Richt had a #12 ranked class for 2017 & #8 ranked class for 2018.

Diaz had #17 ranked class for 2020 & #11 ranked class for 2021.

Cristobal is a significantly better recruiter than both, plus with first year bump that all new coaches get, anything outside of top 10 seems low if you ask me...
Now I don’t know anything at the moment on the 2023.

Is it considered better locally talent wise as 2022 seems to be a down year?

Advertisement
Back