Mario's recruiting vs Lane's offense

Soooooo what would you rather have?

• Total voters
Advertisement
His recruiting is negated if he hires James Coley as his OC, lol.

*runs & hides *
Can't wait for us to continue the time honored tradition of having to rationalize an under qualified former player being hired as an assistant.

Can't wait for us to continue the time honored tradition of having to rationalize an under qualified former player being hired as an assistant.

Aint no rationalizing that one big dawg, lol. Heads would roll but we will cross that bridge when/if we get there.

What are the expectations for Mario’s first class here, top 5?
I wouldn’t say top 5 but I would expect a class emphasizing the trenches. Top 10 - 15 with winning a couple recruiting battles for OL & DL recruits that we would normally lose.

I wouldn’t say top 5 but I would expect a class emphasizing the trenches. Top 10 - 15 with winning a couple recruiting battles for OL & DL recruits that we would normally lose.
Respectfully, how can we not expect a top 5 class from Mario every year? Recruiting is what he does. It is well documented that he would have to have anything he asks for in order for him to come. He gets that at Oregon, so I get it. If we give him that he must deliver. If Mario comes, we will be paying money that we NEVER have paid to him, his staff and his recuriting budget. A top 5 class is a minimal expectation with all of that money that we would have to invest.

Advertisement
That’s reasonable.

I feel like Lane would recruit just as well at Miami. If USC had their **** together, would Mario dominate out there in recruiting?

This thread is asking would yall prefer Mario’s recruiting or Lane’s Offense & just about all of you would take Mario’s recruiting & rightfully so...

But, yall are mostly also saying you would expect a top 15 class, now this is in contrast to Richt & Diaz both having top 15 classes in their first two official classes. (Richt had #12 & #8 & Diaz had #11)

So on one hand, Mario is an elite recruiter that can possibly build a championship roster on par with the likes of Saban & Smart, but on the other hand everyone in this thread seems to be low balling him.

That’s an interesting dichotomy to me.

This thread is asking would yall prefer Mario’s recruiting or Lane’s Offense & just about all of you would take Mario’s recruiting & rightfully so...

But, yall are mostly also saying you would expect a top 15 class, now this is in contrast to Richt & Diaz both having top 15 classes in their first two official classes. (Richt had #12 & #8 & Diaz had #11)

So on one hand, Mario is an elite recruiter that can possibly build a championship roster on par with the likes of Saban & Smart, but on the other hand everyone in this thread seems to be low balling him.

You do realize there are only about 5 porsters who know what that word means?

Advertisement

This.

23 class? I’d be very happy with a top 10 class that addresses our needs primarily. OL/DL/LB/CB. Build and progress from there, that should be the expectation for Mario IMO. Nothing lower than a top 10 class. Am I going to want him fired if it’s ranked #11? No, especially if our needs are fulfilled. But if recruiting is his calling card, then that muscle needs to be flexed more times than not. JMO.

Mario. C first class (2023) is top 7 gotta be especially if we show a smidgeon bit of improvement on the field. The high from the first class bump will be there, but then again the transfer portal can change the narrative. If he snags majority of his targets in the portal 2022 and 2023. First class might be outside of top 10 based on how much kids he actually offers.

Honestly, I would be happy with him just being able to keep local talent home! Sprinkle in a top OL here and there and I'd be more than happy
OL is where I think both could be a big upgrade, but MC would seem to be more focused there. OL has been trash for ~20 years and has dragged the both O and D down with it.

Advertisement

When you get beyond "Mario is a great recruiter" reality starts to hit. There are 3 HCs in the SEC alone who you'd take over Mario as recruiters and unfortunately they spend plenty of time in Miami's backyard and recruits are receptive. Jimbo, Kirby and Saban. Throw in whoever gets the LSU job as another problem. Then you've got Ryan Day and Dabo. Notre Dame will always recruit well. Oklahoma too. You're already at 8 schools. USC if they hire the right guy. Texas can be a top ten recruiting program.

Expecting some type of recruiting revolution early seems a little too hopeful. He's gonna need early on-field success and the way he likes to play offense does not lean in to our strengths on that side of the ball. Can he hire a DC and use the portal for immediate help that will keep him above water as he fixes the OL to run the offense he wants are the questions. Maybe he decides not to hire a Moorehead type as an OC and opens it up. Bad losses that hurt those early classes are a possibility.

The Offensive guru model (Lane) is fun as **** to watch. But I can't think of a single Championship program or team that was built on that model. Not one. The OC Guru model always seems to come up short. If someone can prove me wrong, please - I'd be happy to hear.

Champions are built with a foundation that recruits, develops, game plans, and adjusts with the changes in the game over time. Saban, Dabo, Urban, and all the Miami programs didi it that way. I think Mario is trying to build programs that way. Will he be successful in Miami? Who knows. But I think it's a better model in the long run.

For the record - I'd be happy to have Lane here. It'd be a massive upgrade over Manny. But in the long run, I think a Mario style program has more of a long term winning pedigree.
LSU won with this model 2 years ago

Advertisement
When you get beyond "Mario is a great recruiter" reality starts to hit. There are 3 HCs in the SEC alone who you'd take over Mario as recruiters and unfortunately they spend plenty of time in Miami's backyard and recruits are receptive. Jimbo, Kirby and Saban. Throw in whoever gets the LSU job as another problem. Then you've got Ryan Day and Dabo. Notre Dame will always recruit well. Oklahoma too. You're already at 8 schools. USC if they hire the right guy. Texas can be a top ten recruiting program.

Expecting some type of recruiting revolution early seems a little too hopeful. He's gonna need early on-field success and the way he likes to play offense does not lean in to our strengths on that side of the ball. Can he hire a DC and use the portal for immediate help that will keep him above water as he fixes the OL to run the offense he wants are the questions. Maybe he decides not to hire a Moorehead type as an OC and opens it up. Bad losses that hurt those early classes are a possibility.
This is why I ask questions I ask...

That’s a very well thought out answer 💯.

The Offensive guru model (Lane) is fun as **** to watch. But I can't think of a single Championship program or team that was built on that model. Not one. The OC Guru model always seems to come up short. If someone can prove me wrong, please - I'd be happy to hear.

Champions are built with a foundation that recruits, develops, game plans, and adjusts with the changes in the game over time. Saban, Dabo, Urban, and all the Miami programs didi it that way. I think Mario is trying to build programs that way. Will he be successful in Miami? Who knows. But I think it's a better model in the long run.

For the record - I'd be happy to have Lane here. It'd be a massive upgrade over Manny. But in the long run, I think a Mario style program has more of a long term winning pedigree.
Steve Spurrier, fun n gun offense guru, got his title once he landed Bob Stoops as D coordinator

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back