Mario's pain

I do feel Mario's pain, and I empathize with him. One thing about hitting rock bottom like this is that it allows us to self-reflect on what is going on around us. As a high school coach myself, self-burnout is a real thing. When you do not allow yourself grace and self-care, you become blind to many things. The fact that Mario is apologizing and admitting he "feels this pain more than anyone" tells me he understands. The only thing I am waiting on is when these changes will take place. I hope quickly enough that we retain our class. Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement
In his first couple of years Diaz got much more love than Mario is getting. The hype and media BS was way over exaggerated and that was because of his success at Oregon. Forget culture adversity diversity these are nothing more than lightening rod words created by the politically led media to incite the young thinkers of today. It’s football a team sport. You win when everyone is going in the same direction and unselfishly have their teammates back on and off the field.
I wouldn't say Manny got more love than Mario, just less hate. No one cared about the Manny hire. When Manny got the job, the team was reeling - blown out again by Wisconsin in the Pinstripe Bowl, it had no QB, and Manny was a lazy hire. Plus, the price was right - less than $4M per year. So, no big expectations to meet, just don't implode the program.

Mario's getting twice as much $, came into the season with a Heisman Trophy candidate at QB, and with some young talent on the defensive side of the ball hoping to take the next step. No one was thinking National Championship in year 1, but ****, at least compete for the Coastal. Or at least compete period, getting blown out 3 times at home (once to MTSU) is just not acceptable.

So yeah, Mario had more expectations coming into the season than Manny did in his first year. Unfortunately, he has failed miserably to date. The offense has been horrible all season and the defense is not much better.

Sure. By the Mario supporters.

I think that he got into the whole hiring process late and selected from what was available. This year he gets in early when coaches are making moves and he can try and get the best.
1. So the Mario supporters complained that he was too thorough? Totally lost me.
2. Maybe, but with his budget he had a lot of options, regardless of timing.
3. Hope so, but I am not clear that he has a cogent plan. I think he has offensive and defensive ideas, meaning general concepts/identities, but not a plan for personnel to actually get him there.

Advertisement
Also lmao @ the premise of this thread...

The same fan base that calls our players “soft!” every week in here writing love letters to our poor poor Coach lol

Awwwww
30rock-tina-fey.gif

Advertisement
Here’s my perspective on this situation having held a high level position within a company with 140 + employees. I was part of the leadership team.

We had a president that reported to the CEO. He was brought in because of his experience in finance, raising capital and successfully taking a company public.

He came in with the culture established, the leadership team already firmly entrenched in their lanes and a CEO who was ultimately going to make the decisions if he felt like it.

He came in and didn’t have a clue what to do, no clue how the business operated, who was good and who was bad at their jobs, and the real issue was he didn’t want to stick to the things he was good at.

He wanted to dabble in everything else and ultimately he lost the respect from the CEO because his lanes were **** and he lost the buy in from the leaders because he wasn’t providing us any value.

Mario - needs to accept he’s a great recruiter and leader of men. He could also help the O-Line but even that isn’t required with Mirobal.

Outside of that he provides no real value to anyone. He needs to stick to what he’s good at. Only hire the coordinators, hold those guys accountable and focus on recruiting.

He tried to control too much, promised too much and believed he could change too much too soon.

Unlike our president (that was fired) Mario isn't going anywhere. But he better learn from his mistakes because if he truly “cares more than one else” about this program he needs to begin by evaluating himself first.

This team was close to 10 wins last year. Just needed a guy to come in and build off of that and instill discipline.

View attachment 214182

This team was also so close to winning only 4 games, last yr. I remember Pitt missing a wide open Addison to beat us, & I also remember App St’s WR droppping two wide open passes & GT’s WR dropping a wide open pass while driving.

Last yr was last yr & this yr is this yr.

At the end of the day, the sad love songs don’t cut it. Mario was not brought here for a nice story; he was brought here to yield results. If those results don’t come by yr 2, fck all the feelings.

This team was also so close to winning only 4 games, last yr. I remember Pitt missing a wide open Addison to beat us, & I also remember App St’s WR droppping two wide open passes & GT’s WR dropping a wide open pass while driving.

Last yr was last yr & this yr is this yr.

At the end of the day, the sad love songs don’t cut it. Mario was not brought here for a nice story; he was brought here to yield results. If those results don’t come by yr 2, fck all the feelings.

Thats my point Rell. We were in 90% of our games last year with a CHANCE to win. Does that not mean that the talent is there for a GOOD COACH to not get blown out by MTSU, Duke and FSU at HOME? We took a step back from a 7-5 team.

Advertisement
Thats my point Rell. We were in 90% of our games last year with a CHANCE to win. Does that not mean that the talent is there for a GOOD COACH to not get blown out by MTSU, Duke and FSU at HOME? We took a step back from a 7-5 team.

I can agree w/ that.

Here’s my perspective on this situation having held a high level position within a company with 140 + employees. I was part of the leadership team.

We had a president that reported to the CEO. He was brought in because of his experience in finance, raising capital and successfully taking a company public.

He came in with the culture established, the leadership team already firmly entrenched in their lanes and a CEO who was ultimately going to make the decisions if he felt like it.

He came in and didn’t have a clue what to do, no clue how the business operated, who was good and who was bad at their jobs, and the real issue was he didn’t want to stick to the things he was good at.

He wanted to dabble in everything else and ultimately he lost the respect from the CEO because his lanes were **** and he lost the buy in from the leaders because he wasn’t providing us any value.

Mario - needs to accept he’s a great recruiter and leader of men. He could also help the O-Line but even that isn’t required with Mirobal.

Outside of that he provides no real value to anyone. He needs to stick to what he’s good at. Only hire the coordinators, hold those guys accountable and focus on recruiting.

He tried to control too much, promised too much and believed he could change too much too soon.

Unlike our president (that was fired) Mario isn't going anywhere. But he better learn from his mistakes because if he truly “cares more than one else” about this program he needs to begin by evaluating himself first.
Have there been stories of Mario sticking his nose into everything? Is he telling Gattis what plays to run and Steele what defensive calls to make?

I think that's obvious at this point.

But how can he have confidence selecting a staff when he failed so miserably the first go? How/what should he do?
Every coach makes bad hires, due to talent, program fit, bad dispositions that manifest themselves. What's important is coming to the realization and making the change. If I were Gattis, I would keep my credit card bills low.

Advertisement
Our problem is way more than scheme. You think a spread would really make us any better? "Oh wow we lost to Florida state 50-27 instead of 45-3." It is clear that the coaching staff is not in synch. We have a terrible culture. Players are so unprepared and dont want to get better. Our players and coaches are just not committed to this. Take a look at a program like OSU. Those players do everything possible to make the NFL. That's their goal day one

Advertisement
Back