Mario's pain

Yoyo82

Recruit
Premium

One thing I think we all need to think about in the midst of all this is Mario's pain. He needs to have some real soul searching going on.

There's no way he lays his head on his pillow at night and thinks "this is fine. It's all going according to plan."

This man has to be on suicide watch if he bleeds orange/green as much as we all think he does.

Put yourselves in his shoes. We all love this program. Do any of you all believe we even love this program a tenth of how much he does?

Now imagine you love this program and for 25 years it has been your dream to come back and lead it as a head coach. For 20 years you've frustratingly watched your beloved program struggle in mediocrity and stupidity. All the while you're learning and seeing the vast difference between the elite programs and your beloved program. For the last 15 years you've taken your wife away from her home and her family.. Your kids never got quality team with their extended family. You haven't seen your family since you've been traveling all over the country. You've taken job after job, traveling across the country, to hopefully one day get a shot at this dream job.

Then finally, the stars align. The culmination of everything you've worked and dreamed for aligns. Miami offers you your dream job. But not only that, they give you every demand and more to fulfill and execute at the highest level. there's no longer an excuse of "well if we had that" etc. You have the blueprint. You have the resources. You have an elite QB and the "best assistant coach" in the country. Everything is aligning perfectly just like you envisioned and planned.

And then what shows up on game day happens to be not just bad.. But possibly the worst Miami football team in 40 years. You set record after record for "worst ever". Your players have all regressed.. Your offensive line, your bread and butter, is significantly WORSE than last year. Your star QB looks sub par.. Your defense can't tackle and your players are all injured. Your team hasn't scored a TD for more than 2 complete games.

All of your alumni friends and brothers probably can't talk to you because of the shame and guilt they know you feel. Your own wife and kids, who are Miami hurricane fans, can't believe how badly you've failed. The players you coach, who you've promised every resource and commitment, can't trust you anymore.

This glorious homecoming has been nothing short of a colossal failure in every regard.. you literally don't have a single accomplishment from this season to hang your hat on.. Nothing. Everything has gotten worse.

How do you sleep at night? How do you stay motivated to keep on? Everything in your world revolves around the Miami Hurricanes. There is no escaping it. There is no silo for you to hide in. What does Mario do?

I think that's why he has this "back to work" mantra. It's all he can do. Put his head down and work and believe in the vision he's had for 20+ years. What else can he do?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think that's obvious at this point.

But how can he have confidence selecting a staff when he failed so miserably the first go? How/what should he do?
I think that he was rushed and that he didn't have as many options available to him. This offseason he and Highsmith will have more time to do a proper search.

Advertisement
I just read the first 2-3 paragraphs but **** Mario's feelings. When he reduces his pay to buyout firing all the **** coaching hires he made this year, I'll give him some respect. Otherwise, he needs to get his **** together and fix this abortion of a team he's created. He's ****ed up almost every hire he's made both on and off the field, it's truly pathetic.

I think that he was rushed and that he didn't have as ma y optins availabel to him. This offseason he and Highsmith will have more time to do a proper search.
Rushed? Wasn't the major complaint during the off-season how long he took and how thorough/intense he was with his long, laborious, repetitive interviews?

This team was close to 10 wins last year. Just needed a guy to come in and build off of that and instill discipline.

6CE3B31A-6909-46DA-9214-5EB96DB31038.jpeg

Advertisement
the problem now, is that almost certainly he's going to lose a recruit or two as he is underperforming so badly that it's concerning

and the recruiting was the only thing keeping us optimistic for the future (with the understanding of staff changes)

if he loses recruits because of this and either doesn't make a staff change or makes the wrong one then what the **** has all this been for

Rushed? Wasn't the major complaint during the off-season how long he took and how thorough/intense he was with his long, laborious, repetitive interviews?
Sure. By the Mario supporters.

I think that he got into the whole hiring process late and selected from what was available. This year he gets in early when coaches are making moves and he can try and get the best.

Advertisement
I think that's obvious at this point.

But how can he have confidence selecting a staff when he failed so miserably the first go? How/what should he do?
I think he settled on the oc and dc. He took quite awhile to find them. It was either that good coordinators didn't want to work with Mario or the guys he really wanted weren't available. I'm hoping it's there latter.

I think he settled on the oc and dc. He took quite awhile to find them. It was either that good coordinators didn't want to work with Mario or the guys he really wanted weren't available. I'm hoping it's there latter.

“Trust Mario” was the New Miami…

Advertisement
Back