Mario's pain

Advertisement

One thing I think we all need to think about in the midst of all this is Mario's pain. He needs to have some real soul searching going on.

There's no way he lays his head on his pillow at night and thinks "this is fine. It's all going according to plan."

This man has to be on suicide watch if he bleeds orange/green as much as we all think he does.

Put yourselves in his shoes. We all love this program. Do any of you all believe we even love this program a tenth of how much he does?

Now imagine you love this program and for 25 years it has been your dream to come back and lead it as a head coach. For 20 years you've frustratingly watched your beloved program struggle in mediocrity and stupidity. All the while you're learning and seeing the vast difference between the elite programs and your beloved program. For the last 15 years you've taken your wife away from her home and her family.. Your kids never got quality team with their extended family. You haven't seen your family since you've been traveling all over the country. You've taken job after job, traveling across the country, to hopefully one day get a shot at this dream job.

Then finally, the stars align. The culmination of everything you've worked and dreamed for aligns. Miami offers you your dream job. But not only that, they give you every demand and more to fulfill and execute at the highest level. there's no longer an excuse of "well if we had that" etc. You have the blueprint. You have the resources. You have an elite QB and the "best assistant coach" in the country. Everything is aligning perfectly just like you envisioned and planned.

And then what shows up on game day happens to be not just bad.. But possibly the worst Miami football team in 40 years. You set record after record for "worst ever". Your players have all regressed.. Your offensive line, your bread and butter, is significantly WORSE than last year. Your star QB looks sub par.. Your defense can't tackle and your players are all injured. Your team hasn't scored a TD for more than 2 complete games.

All of your alumni friends and brothers probably can't talk to you because of the shame and guilt they know you feel. Your own wife and kids, who are Miami hurricane fans, can't believe how badly you've failed. The players you coach, who you've promised every resource and commitment, can't trust you anymore.

This glorious homecoming has been nothing short of a colossal failure in every regard.. you literally don't have a single accomplishment from this season to hang your hat on.. Nothing. Everything has gotten worse.

How do you sleep at night? How do you stay motivated to keep on? Everything in your world revolves around the Miami Hurricanes. There is no escaping it. There is no silo for you to hide in. What does Mario do?

I think that's why he has this "back to work" mantra. It's all he can do. Put his head down and work and believe in the vision he's had for 20+ years. What else can he do?

Not surprised: you had too bring transfers to cover for a roster that didn’t have enough players to almost hold a spring practice: our best players are transfers that were at best second or third strings on their former teams . My only concern is the amount of injuries, and why are we the only team in football that third and fourth with 2 or less yards to go is impossible

This team was also so close to winning only 4 games, last yr. I remember Pitt missing a wide open Addison to beat us, & I also remember App St’s WR droppping two wide open passes & GT’s WR dropping a wide open pass while driving.

Last yr was last yr & this yr is this yr.

At the end of the day, the sad love songs don’t cut it. Mario was not brought here for a nice story; he was brought here to yield results. If those results don’t come by yr 2, fck all the feelings.

So if you are trying to say that the talent on the team last year was closer to a 4 win team than a 7 win team, then one of two things has to true. Either

1. Diaz and his staff managed to squeeze 3 extra wins out of an untalented roster

OR

2. The players "cultcha" was so good that they overcame bad coaching and played above their talent level to nearly win their last 7 games in a row.

If #1 is true, this makes Marios coaching performance with the highest paid staff in the acc look even more pathetic.

If #2 is true, then the excuse that the poor play is due to the players "lacking a winning cultcha" is blown out of the water.

Which is it?

So if you are trying to say that the talent on the team last year was closer to a 4 win team than a 7 win team, then one of two things has to true. Either

1. Diaz and his staff managed to squeeze 3 extra wins out of an untalented roster

OR

2. The players "cultcha" was so good that they overcame bad coaching and played above their talent level to nearly win their last 7 games in a row.

If #1 is true, this makes Marios coaching performance with the highest paid staff in the acc look even more pathetic.

If #2 is true, then the excuse that the poor play is due to the players "lacking a winning cultcha" is blown out of the water.

Which is it?
Wow you just destroyed every pro Mario argument lol

Advertisement
But somehow found a way to win. This team finds ways to lose or get **** stomped…
Yep..last year, 4 times they found a way to win and 3 times they found a way to lose those 1 score games. So 7-5 is probably a pretty accurate record for last year's team, in Manny's 3rd year.

I know he bleeds orange and green. That is the only thing refraining me right now. Same way I felt with Shannon.

Frustrated Head GIF

OR

Which is it?

Nice try & this is the problem w/ Canes’ fans, this black & white mentality.

So I’m going to repeat this slowly so u & all the others can understand this point I’ve said BEFORE the season even started:

My biggest issue coming into this season was 2 fold:

1. A coach bringing in a new playbook on both sides of the field & that adjustment period

2. How would TVD look, not only w/ a new offensive scheme, but a new set of WRs

I was one of the first ones on this board to highlight the rooms I was not in love w/, one being the WRs (& u can check The Fall Scrimmage 1 thread to check my receipts). I was concerned about the OL, WR, & LB. I highlighted WR b/c TVD was dependent on Rambo, which inflated his stats over the last 6 games. So the ? was, who would fill that void?

What u & others refuse to acknowledge is last yr’s team is not this yrs team b/c we lost major production on O, & when I say major, I literally mean 60% (& again, u can calculate the yardage, & those who accounted for that yardage & do the math). What is the same is this dog chit mentality that’s been instilled & birthed into the vast majority of the left overs from the previous regimes. So now we’re stuck w/ dog chit w/o key components that at least sprayed a little fabreeze on that chit.

So two things can be true, but I know that’s a hard concept to follow. This team lacked talent then & its lack of talent is even more glaring now. Why? B/c we have a coaching staff that’s stuck in the 90’s, & trying run chit that doesn’t fit the personnel they have.

Advertisement
He hired the guys entire staff
Your example was of the President of your company sticking his nose into too many areas of the company. I guess I don't get your analogy.

You mentioned your company had a culture that was already established, Miami wants to upend the culture that was already here when Mario was hired. In your example, the leadership group was firmly entrenched. Miami had no existing leadership group firmly entrenched. When Mario was brought in, they didn't even have an AD selected as of that time. Heck, even the BOD had just been taken control of by Ruiz.

You said he should focus on hiring his coordinators and on recruiting. He did hire his coordinators and my question was what evidence have you heard of him sticking his nose in his coordinators' work? Of course, Mario hired his staff, but from what I can tell, he's not micromanaging.

IMO, he should be getting on both coordinators because they both seem to be trying to put square pegs in round holes. The Canes don't have the guys up front yet to run the run-heavy offense Gattis loves, so instead of tailoring his offense to focus on its strengths until Mario can bring in the guys who can be successful in such an offense, Gattis is stubbornly sticking to the 3 yards and cloud of dust BS. There was a short time where they took the reins off TVD and it worked, but that lasted for like 2 games.

On the defensive side of the ball, the safeties and CBs just don't have the talent and/or football IQ to be in man coverage as often as they are. With not much of a pass rush, they have been giving up explosive play after explosive play, but Steele keeps calling the games that way. Again, trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Until Mario can upgrade the level of players and provide depth, they should coach based on the skill levels that the players currently possess so they win as much as possible. There is no reason for 3 major blowouts at home.

Nice try & this is the problem w/ Canes’ fans, this black & white mentality.

So I’m going to repeat this slowly so u & all the others can understand this point I’ve said BEFORE the season even started:

My biggest issue coming into this season was 2 fold:

1. A coach bringing in a new playbook on both sides of the field & that adjustment period

2. How would TVD look, not only w/ a new offensive scheme, but a new set of WRs

I was one of the first ones on this board to highlight the rooms I was not in love w/, one being the WRs (& u can check The Fall Scrimmage 1 thread to check my receipts). I was concerned about the OL, WR, & LB. I highlighted WR b/c TVD was dependent on Rambo, which inflated his stats over the last 6 games. So the ? was, who would fill that void?

What u & others refuse to acknowledge is last yr’s team is not this yrs team b/c we lost major production on O, & when I say major, I literally mean 60% (& again, u can calculate the yardage, & those who accounted for that yardage & do the math). What is the same is this dog chit mentality that’s been instilled & birthed into the vast majority of the left overs from the previous regimes. So now we’re stuck w/ dog chit w/o key components that at least sprayed a little fabreeze on that chit.

So two things can be true, but I know that’s a hard concept to follow. This team lacked talent then & its lack of talent is even more glaring now. Why? B/c we have a coaching staff that’s stuck in the 90’s, & trying run chit that doesn’t fit the personnel they have.
Agree with 95% of what you wrote.

Yes, it takes time to get everyone accustomed to new coordinators. That being said, we're over 3/4 of the way through the season and neither side of the ball appears to be improving, which is downright scary.

The other question I have for the coordinators in particular is why aren't you customizing your playcalling to fit the talent that you currently have? Shouldn't the goal be to win as many games as possible until you get the roster that can run what you want?

Mario tried doing wayyyyy too much year one…

With his length of contract not a doubt in my mind he felt he could completely blow things up and mirror it to the exact imagine he wanted day 1 instead of trying to win now like most coaches who sign on as the expectations are you only get 3 or 4 years to get the job done.

He definitely botched the OC hire as he went with the flashy name who won the headliner trophy… I truly believe the offensive sides woes and complete lack of trust from Gattis that turned away leaders like TVD probably helped lose the locker room as results never showed on the field and you had an offensive staff that instead circled the wagons against the players for weeks saying they were 100% solely the problem and not the scheme…

Love Mario and I think he can turn this around still but he needs to take a step back hire a spread style coach who is imaginative and forward thinking. We’re paying for top performance it shouldn’t be a problem at all

Advertisement
Agree with 95% of what you wrote.

Yes, it takes time to get everyone accustomed to new coordinators. That being said, we're over 3/4 of the way through the season and neither side of the ball appears to be improving, which is downright scary.

The other question I have for the coordinators in particular is why aren't you customizing your playcalling to fit the talent that you currently have? Shouldn't the goal be to win as many games as possible until you get the roster that can run what you want?

Hence my last point: B/c we have a coaching staff that’s stuck in the 90’s, & trying run chit that doesn’t fit the personnel they have.

We’ve been plagued w/ injuries this yr, & the quality of depth is death. Even if I were to entertain that notion for a moment, that still does not preclude this staff from taking responsibility for the **** poor play calling that have handcuffed us from the end zone is two str8 games. That’s inexcusable.

Advertisement
Back