Mario's pain

Advertisement
OP wasn’t giving him a pass

I get it. I’m saying No, I’m not examining his pain. I simply give him no pass and he must fix it. Which largely aligns with OP.

I admittedly beat the dead horse on him getting no pass, to be clear that well he gets no pass just because he’s a Miami guy or an explayer and that many who gave previous coaches no leash, should do the same here.

You

One thing I think we all need to think about in the midst of all this is Mario's pain. He needs to have some real soul searching going on.

There's no way he lays his head on his pillow at night and thinks "this is fine. It's all going according to plan."

This man has to be on suicide watch if he bleeds orange/green as much as we all think he does.

Put yourselves in his shoes. We all love this program. Do any of you all believe we even love this program a tenth of how much he does?

Now imagine you love this program and for 25 years it has been your dream to come back and lead it as a head coach. For 20 years you've frustratingly watched your beloved program struggle in mediocrity and stupidity. All the while you're learning and seeing the vast difference between the elite programs and your beloved program. For the last 15 years you've taken your wife away from her home and her family.. Your kids never got quality team with their extended family. You haven't seen your family since you've been traveling all over the country. You've taken job after job, traveling across the country, to hopefully one day get a shot at this dream job.

Then finally, the stars align. The culmination of everything you've worked and dreamed for aligns. Miami offers you your dream job. But not only that, they give you every demand and more to fulfill and execute at the highest level. there's no longer an excuse of "well if we had that" etc. You have the blueprint. You have the resources. You have an elite QB and the "best assistant coach" in the country. Everything is aligning perfectly just like you envisioned and planned.

And then what shows up on game day happens to be not just bad.. But possibly the worst Miami football team in 40 years. You set record after record for "worst ever". Your players have all regressed.. Your offensive line, your bread and butter, is significantly WORSE than last year. Your star QB looks sub par.. Your defense can't tackle and your players are all injured. Your team hasn't scored a TD for more than 2 complete games.

All of your alumni friends and brothers probably can't talk to you because of the shame and guilt they know you feel. Your own wife and kids, who are Miami hurricane fans, can't believe how badly you've failed. The players you coach, who you've promised every resource and commitment, can't trust you anymore.

This glorious homecoming has been nothing short of a colossal failure in every regard.. you literally don't have a single accomplishment from this season to hang your hat on.. Nothing. Everything has gotten worse.

How do you sleep at night? How do you stay motivated to keep on? Everything in your world revolves around the Miami Hurricanes. There is no escaping it. There is no silo for you to hide in. What does Mario do?

I think that's why he has this "back to work" mantra. It's all he can do. Put his head down and work and believe in the vision he's had for 20+ years. What else can he do?

You’ve summed up the harsh reality of Mario’s tenure to this point in a nut shell. Far too often, we forget the many factors outside the locker room that these coaches deal with on a daily basis.

Undoubtedly, Mario didn’t take the Miami head football coaches job blindly believing he was going to walk into Hecht and turn things around in a short period of time. By now, he and his family should be well aware of the commitment and sacrifice it takes to be a successful P5 football HC.

Mario has mentioned many times he doesn’t sleep much and lives on cafecito’s. With only 24 hours in a day, how much more can he endure to get the program where it needs to be? No doubt he’s got his hands full but he and his family knew the all consuming necessities of being a P5 HC.

Advertisement
The games were close. We only waxed by Alabama and MSU pulled away late when King went down.

This year we got waxed by MTSU, Duke, and FSU from the first quarter.

This is completely different . Gattis is sucking all the energy out of this team on both sides of the ball. Steele hasn’t been perfect, but Gattis leaves him no room for error.

Yup. Add to that two straight games with no touchdowns. 8-3 in 2020 and 7-5 last year, in just about every single game with a legitimate shot to win. Some were straight up choke jobs. So we thought to ourselves, man we are close. Just need a staff to get us over the hump

Yup. Add to that two straight games with no touchdowns. 8-3 in 2020 and 7-5 last year, in just about every single game with a legitimate shot to win. Some were straight up choke jobs. So we thought to ourselves, man we are close. Just need a staff to get us over the hump

Yeah for the team to fall apart like this with so little attrition is the calling card of chemistry/locker room issues.

I think he settled on the oc and dc. He took quite awhile to find them. It was either that good coordinators didn't want to work with Mario or the guys he really wanted weren't available. I'm hoping it's there latter.

We were waiting on Dorsey who went into AFC championship

Advertisement
You

You’ve summed up the harsh reality of Mario’s tenure to this point in a nut shell. Far too often, we forget the many factors outside the locker room that these coaches deal with on a daily basis.

Undoubtedly, Mario didn’t take the Miami head football coaches job blindly believing he was going to walk into Hecht and turn things around in a short period of time. By now, he and his family should be well aware of the commitment and sacrifice it takes to be a successful P5 football HC.

Mario has mentioned many times he doesn’t sleep much and lives on cafecito’s. With only 24 hours in a day, how much more can he endure to get the program where it needs to be? No doubt he’s got his hands full but he and his family knew the all consuming necessities of being a P5 HC.
Honestly I don't think the problem is level of effort or commitment. I have 0 doubt that Mario squeezes as many minutes as possible from his day into Miami football. The problem is his decision making and quite frankly how much he overthinks things just to try to be the smartest guy in the room.

It began with his own recruitment to Miami. He took his sweet time ironing out every detail during negotiations to the point that the media crucified the University for it. We all supported it because we wanted to give our new head man the best chance to be successful. It then went on to his inability to hire a coaching staff until months after he was hired. Again we all gave him the benefit of the doubt but it likely cost us recruits and turned off quality candidates.

Then came the decision to run a hard nosed on the ground offense because that's his perception of offensive nirvana. Halfway through the season he made offensive changes after it was clear that this style was not going to work. Ask an average CIS poster and they would have told you that in the offseason. Mario will need to have a come to Jesus moment and change himself if he is to have any success. And part of that change is realizing that he's an average schematic coach at his best and he needs to hire experts that have been successful at coordinating modern offenses.

One thing I think we all need to think about in the midst of all this is Mario's pain. He needs to have some real soul searching going on.

There's no way he lays his head on his pillow at night and thinks "this is fine. It's all going according to plan."

This man has to be on suicide watch if he bleeds orange/green as much as we all think he does.

Put yourselves in his shoes. We all love this program. Do any of you all believe we even love this program a tenth of how much he does?

Now imagine you love this program and for 25 years it has been your dream to come back and lead it as a head coach. For 20 years you've frustratingly watched your beloved program struggle in mediocrity and stupidity. All the while you're learning and seeing the vast difference between the elite programs and your beloved program. For the last 15 years you've taken your wife away from her home and her family.. Your kids never got quality team with their extended family. You haven't seen your family since you've been traveling all over the country. You've taken job after job, traveling across the country, to hopefully one day get a shot at this dream job.

Then finally, the stars align. The culmination of everything you've worked and dreamed for aligns. Miami offers you your dream job. But not only that, they give you every demand and more to fulfill and execute at the highest level. there's no longer an excuse of "well if we had that" etc. You have the blueprint. You have the resources. You have an elite QB and the "best assistant coach" in the country. Everything is aligning perfectly just like you envisioned and planned.

And then what shows up on game day happens to be not just bad.. But possibly the worst Miami football team in 40 years. You set record after record for "worst ever". Your players have all regressed.. Your offensive line, your bread and butter, is significantly WORSE than last year. Your star QB looks sub par.. Your defense can't tackle and your players are all injured. Your team hasn't scored a TD for more than 2 complete games.

All of your alumni friends and brothers probably can't talk to you because of the shame and guilt they know you feel. Your own wife and kids, who are Miami hurricane fans, can't believe how badly you've failed. The players you coach, who you've promised every resource and commitment, can't trust you anymore.

This glorious homecoming has been nothing short of a colossal failure in every regard.. you literally don't have a single accomplishment from this season to hang your hat on.. Nothing. Everything has gotten worse.

How do you sleep at night? How do you stay motivated to keep on? Everything in your world revolves around the Miami Hurricanes. There is no escaping it. There is no silo for you to hide in. What does Mario do?

I think that's why he has this "back to work" mantra. It's all he can do. Put his head down and work and believe in the vision he's had for 20+ years. What else can he do?

I do not question Mario's love for program. What I do question is the insanity week to week by doing the same over and expecting different results. At some point the we need to get back to work producing no results has to wear thin on the players. So change has to happen starting with the co-od's. Can or will Mario do it is the question. This is a dumpster fire.

Advertisement
I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say. Definitely not about giving him grace or excuses.

Moreso trying to put myself in his shoes and think "what would I do?" and having all the fans ask themselves the same question.

There isn't really an easy answer for somebody who has to have had his confidence absolutely shattered.

Nothing he's done in 12 months now has worked, starting with the 2 blowout losses to Utah.
We should've hired the Utah coach.

He’s getting paid $8,000,000 a year to field at least a competent product.

He demanded control of everything before he agreed to come here. He made the hires and the decisions on the schemes that he prefers based on said hires.

In life, if you want the glory, then you also have to be able to accept the blame, and quickly and decisively make corrections. That’s what great leaders do.

Going “back to work” ain’t gonna fix ****. I said in another thread about a month ago, he needs to hire an expert with knowledge of great OC’s and DC’s, someone like @Liberty City El to help inform him of the best up and coming coordinators that run cutting edge schemes with success, and then pull the trigger on the guys that are identified as such, Then he needs to let the OC and DC that he hires bring in their own staff.

Mario just needs to identify talent, recruit it, and be the face of the program. Those are still incredibly important ingredients in any recipe for success.

Advertisement
We missed out on Lane Kiffin! This coach is working with 3 star players all around his team and they are 8-1, ranked, and are exciting to watch! The administration really screwed up! That’s a Miami guy, he talks crap and follows it up! You don’t need a U diploma just say what you are going to say and F$@k someone up!

Oh this isn't about giving him a pass. This is an absolute failure in more ways than anybody could imagine. Just trying to understand his psyche.

I think your OP is good and frames things well. I also believe that Mario, based on his pressers last night, doesn't want our sympathy. He just wants to keep working and to earn back our trust. In the meantime, it's support and be vocal. Not be super-positive slurpers, but show up. Be critical, good and bad, be vocal when it comes to the things that are major issues (i.e. - Gattis)...but don't disconnect. Don't run. Stand in the ******* paint, and let him work.

I think he settled on the oc and dc. He took quite awhile to find them. It was either that good coordinators didn't want to work with Mario or the guys he really wanted weren't available. I'm hoping it's there latter.
It’s become clear to me that it’s the former on offense.

Advertisement
Back