Mario pros and cons revisited

Advertisement
You heard Mario during his interview in between quarters. He said WE’RE BUILT FOR THIS. WE JUST GOTTA GO
Yeah there was no doubt in his mind we were going to finish the job!
randy marsh moving GIF by South Park

Mario was told he would have all the resources needed to succeed at Miami.

He then hires some veteran coaches and award-winning coordinators to try and get the most out of the young men on the roster who decided to commit and play for the U. Some of these young men weren't invested, or Danny Miaz ruined them.

Was it a mistake? Maybe. He could have gone the Sanders of Riley route and done a complete roster overhaul. Instead, he found out two things: the 1930 offense wasn't going to work, and some ballers in the roster needed some help.

Fast forward to now, and we got the help we needed in the portal and recruiting. Mario has two coordinators who are perfect for today's college football and, more importantly, a style that fits our players.

Mistakes like not doing a complete roster overhaul were necessary, IMO. We didn't **** off local HS coaches like Sling Blade Billy did, cutting kids left and right. Mario gave players a chance, and the ones who stayed are now hungry for wins and have the right coordinators in place. I know it's early, but it's safe to say we won't see MTSU shenanigans this season and have some good things to root for.

Advertisement
We always hear the things Mario lacks or doesn’t do well. Heres some examples.

1. No play calling experience or scheme
2. X / O guru
3. In game coaching
4. Qb development / offense issues

Yet we forget about the things he does bring here. When he got the job I mentioned all those negatives but I also mentioned the positives and those intrigued me. Here’s the examples.

1. We’ll be physical and much tougher
2. He’ll acquire talent and build a talented roster
3. Most importantly he’ll build up the trenches and will put a focus on the OL.
4. Build a culture

We tend to focus on all the negatives but having a coach is a lot like finding the perfect woman, it doesn’t exist. We’re already seeing his finger prints being put all over this team. Today we played a top 25 Sec team and looked like the more physical team. He’s completely rebuilt the OL in one year and stacked talent / depth that we haven’t had in years.

Football is and will always be dictated by the trenches and our coach specializes in the trenches. So the OC’s will come and go but the one consistent here will be quality OL play. That alone is just as big as say having a X / O guru like Sarkasian or Heupel.

Tonight was Mario’s biggest win and was a much needed sign to fans / recruits that things are changing and he does in fact have a plan. This is how you sell a program, not cute quotes , slogans or talk game. The proof is in substance.

As I‘ve been saying “ things just feel different with this team “ and i’m even more confident of that tonight. Teams in the past would’ve packed up camp after multiple power shots to the dome. But there was resolve , mental toughness and determination I haven’t seen in years.

Great win.
Sassy Oh No GIF by Nickelodeon

I posted back in 2018 guys cared more about what came with playing football here than actually playing ball. It was a fight out the locker rom to go party or hit the club. No matter if they had gotten drug. But in Athens kids were breaking down film with each other after a blowout win. Culture matters and so does caring about the game and the program you represent. Miami won’t be back until they have that and playing with an edge like the past. It won’t happen over night but something has definitely started changing.

Agreed. We have a ways to go, but the attitude of dont quit/give up goes a long way. Getting them to buy in and believe in WHATS being taught and instilled. Should resonate on the field and tonight it did. Now we gotta get past the big game HANGOVER. Meaning come out put Bethune in their place early. That will be another sign of turning the corner. Not needing a second half to put them away. It’s a slow process, but progress none the least. So I hope they take the 1 day at a time and 1 game at a time approach.

They’re so young in certain area’s. Can’t afford to get TOO BIG FOR THEIR BRITCHES as the ol’ folks say. That would be disastrous to have a mental lapse and lose one these SHOULD WIN games.

Advertisement
I love it…. Only thing I hate is people saying “Mario finally got out of the way”. Why do people seem to believe that wasn’t 100% Gattis sucking (along with MAJOR injuries) last year????
The reason Gattis’ sorry *** even got hired here is because Mario wanted a bro style, pound the rock, bro! Offense. After that failed spectacularly, it seems that Mario decided to maybe step out of his comfort zone and hire someone who actually runs a modern offense. Kudos to him for admitting he made a mistake in year one and doing the right thing in year two. Better late than never.

The reason Gattis’ sorry *** even got hired here is because Mario wanted a bro style, pound the rock, bro! Offense. After that failed spectacularly, it seems that Mario decided to maybe step out of his comfort zone and hire someone who actually runs a modern offense. Kudos to him for admitting he made a mistake in year one and doing the right thing in year two. Better late than never.
Did he want that style offense or did he want the best guy and go out and hire that seasons broyles award winner?

I just feel like there’s no real indication Mario was unwilling to let TVD air it

That first quarter could have let any of the past twenty years teams to immediately pack it in and get blown up…. I.e Clemson games come to mind or even FSU last year

This team believes and we have fuggin OC and a DC that are legit

Dawson was killing them all game long… Guidry was given a short stick pretty much having to be down 14… then toss in THREE startinf Dline players out for pretty much 75% of the game

Unreal resolve so proud of those boys and the coaches

Dawson had a **** of a game. He schemed a couple more TD’s that we just didn’t execute on.

The screen pass was a TD but TVD got rushed and floated it high. A&M had two guys on that whole side of the field and we had a WR blocking and a lineman out in space to clean up the other.

The route by X that was wide open but he got pressured and flushed out of the pocket. I think 3rd quarter.

The route to George he floated just too much but George could’ve dove and likely caught. Once again wide open. We coupled hung 50+ on those 5 stars!

Advertisement
Did he want that style offense or did he want the best guy and go out and hire that seasons broyles award winner?

I just feel like there’s no real indication Mario was unwilling to let TVD air it
Eh, it was very obvious that Gattis got hired because his philosophy meshed with what Mario wanted to do. You don’t hire a guy who runs that style of offense because you want to be a team that’s wide open and high scoring. I think Mario realized that you can be physical on the line and still run the ball without having to revert to some 1990s style of offense. He wanted nothing to do with hiring a guy like Dawson last year but he’s learned his lesson and is a better head coach now.

Dawson had a **** of a game. He schemed a couple more TD’s that we just didn’t execute on.

The screen pass was a TD but TVD got rushed and floated it high. A&M had two guys on that whole side of the field and we had a WR blocking and a lineman out in space to clean up the other.

The route by X that was wide open but he got pressured and flushed out of the pocket. I think 3rd quarter.

The route to George he floated just too much but George could’ve dove and likely caught. Once again wide open. We coupled hung 50+ on those 5 stars!
It’s almost a year to the day when I went “ scorched earth“ on the offensive staff. And now you see why. Any OC in todays CFB worth his salt can scheme guys wide open or touchdowns. Not using space and constant motion to manipulate defenders in this era is beyond lunacy. Everything in college ball is built to score. As a quick example look at our first td. We went into our big formation with McCoy at te, selling a run look in a goal line situation. CY motions to the left and aligns on Riley Williams ***, CY sprints down the los towards the flat as the Ol down blocks giving a run look , Tvd play actions of that look and Colby walks in for a td. That was all window dressing for that matchup. Dawson did that all game. Eye manipulation while in space is like having a twelfth offensive player.

Advertisement
They really busted their *** out there today. I had one of the longer and best days I've had in a long *** time and didn't finish the game until 1 AM or thereabouts. What a way to end it all, that game was badass. Hoping for a speedy recovery on those injured.

It’s almost a year to the day when I went “ scorched earth“ on the offensive staff. And now you see why. Any OC in todays CFB worth his salt can scheme guys wide open or touchdowns. Not using space and constant motion to manipulate defenders in this era is beyond lunacy. Everything in college ball is built to score. As a quick example look at our first td. We went into our big formation with McCoy at te, selling a run look in a goal line situation. CY motions to the left and aligns on Riley Williams ***, CY sprints down the los towards the flat as the Ol down blocks giving a run look , Tvd play actions of that look and Colby walks in for a td. That was all window dressing for that matchup. Dawson did that all game. Eye manipulation while in space is like having a twelfth offensive player.

Our redzone offense so far looks night and day different. Being able to score TD’s over FG is the difference in games. Last year we couldn’t score in the redzone. So far this year it’s been **** good

I’ve watched the condensed game. Twice. Lol. I’m that thrilled. Anyways, the physicality pops on film. Not only is Mario recruiting body types, but they’re playing like it too.

We went toe to toe with a team full of 4&5 stars and we whipped them. When is the last time you can say that about a Miami team?

We looked fast and physical all game. Knock back tackles, blitzes that lit up their QB, RB running hard. WR breaking tackles. Man what a game

T
Our redzone offense so far looks night and day different. Being able to score TD’s over FG is the difference in games. Last year we couldn’t score in the redzone. So far this year it’s been **** good
Yes sir. If you don’t have creativity you won’t score in the redzone nowadays. The field is condensed and just running into a brick wall won’t be successful. You need to use smoke and mirrors.

Advertisement
Back