Mario pros and cons revisited

Advertisement
@Cribby based off two weeks. Should I taper my expectations because based off what I've seen from our opponents going forward only Florida state seems like the hardest team we will probably face barring injuries.

Maybe it’s wishful thinking but hopefully Mario’s first season was necessary for him to weed out and find out who weren’t fits for the program. That goes for players and coaches.

Just want to say kudos to Mario and the team. That was a very impressive win considering the penalties, how the beginning of the game started, and some poor special team plays. What a massive difference from last year and our offensive and defensive coordinators are the big difference. This team has fight in it and were so resilent yesterday. If TVD continues to play well and get the protection this is going to be a fun season. I hope all injured players comeback and there's no resaon to play them nexy week unless they are all good to go. I'm just very impressed but I expected us to win and we shall win a lot more games this year. The mentality should be we can beat every team on our schedule including Clemson and FSU. Cut down on the penalties especially the dumb ones. I think Mario learned a lot from last year. The Canes played with a strong desire to put the gas on the pedal to score which was different than last year. I love the aggresssive defensive play calling along with the offensive prowess to score. All in all we all should be happy but it's a long season. As this team progresses we will get better. Watch out Dabo because the Canes are coming for you.

@Cribby based off two weeks. Should I taper my expectations because based off what I've seen from our opponents going forward only Florida state seems like the hardest team we will probably face barring injuries.
It’s a long season dude. I still say 9 -10 wins is the ceiling and 8 is the floor. I need to see more though . We aren’t good enough to start putting W’s by future opponents before the games lol.

Advertisement
There were several times Mario made excellent TO calls. The TO when they were 4th and goal at the 1 and we had literally 13 guys on the field. One in the 4th with about 5 minutes left and they were driving on us.

Everyone here knows my feelings on mario and I still have massive doubts about him. His timeout usage is terrible and he looks lost when things aren't going his way. Dumb penalties continue to happen and that has to be fixed

Its his first good win in Miami and does give reason for optimism. The 2 coordinators are way better than what he had last year.

when we were down 10-0 it looked exactly like last season and looked like another *** whooping was coming. Credit for the team continuing to play hard and get that win.

Where mario shines is recruiting and you can see a difference. We still need some playmakers but if the offense continues producing mario will get the players he needs.

In my mind its still only 1 win and we have to see it continue the rest of the season. Get 9 or 10 wins and build momentum in recruiting. Clean up some of the dumb **** and win a bowl game. Then things will be looking up for Miami.

Advertisement
Everyone here knows my feelings on mario and I still have massive doubts about him. His timeout usage is terrible and he looks lost when things aren't going his way. Dumb penalties continue to happen and that has to be fixed

Its his first good win in Miami and does give reason for optimism. The 2 coordinators are way better than what he had last year.

when we were down 10-0 it looked exactly like last season and looked like another *** whooping was coming. Credit for the team continuing to play hard and get that win.

Where mario shines is recruiting and you can see a difference. We still need some playmakers but if the offense continues producing mario will get the players he needs.

In my mind its still only 1 win and we have to see it continue the rest of the season. Get 9 or 10 wins and build momentum in recruiting. Clean up some of the dumb **** and win a bowl game. Then things will be looking up for Miami.
Mario knows what he's doing...

We always hear the things Mario lacks or doesn’t do well. Heres some examples.

1. No play calling experience or scheme
2. X / O guru
3. In game coaching
4. Qb development / offense issues

Yet we forget about the things he does bring here. When he got the job I mentioned all those negatives but I also mentioned the positives and those intrigued me. Here’s the examples.

1. We’ll be physical and much tougher
2. He’ll acquire talent and build a talented roster
3. Most importantly he’ll build up the trenches and will put a focus on the OL.
4. Build a culture

We tend to focus on all the negatives but having a coach is a lot like finding the perfect woman, it doesn’t exist. We’re already seeing his finger prints being put all over this team. Today we played a top 25 Sec team and looked like the more physical team. He’s completely rebuilt the OL in one year and stacked talent / depth that we haven’t had in years.

Football is and will always be dictated by the trenches and our coach specializes in the trenches. So the OC’s will come and go but the one consistent here will be quality OL play. That alone is just as big as say having a X / O guru like Sarkasian or Heupel.

Tonight was Mario’s biggest win and was a much needed sign to fans / recruits that things are changing and he does in fact have a plan. This is how you sell a program, not cute quotes , slogans or talk game. The proof is in substance.

As I‘ve been saying “ things just feel different with this team “ and i’m even more confident of that tonight. Teams in the past would’ve packed up camp after multiple power shots to the dome. But there was resolve , mental toughness and determination I haven’t seen in years.

Great win.
Obviously Kirby had a lot of coordinating experience but the pluses and minuses are pretty similar. Georgia is winning with culture, physicality and dominating lines. Oh and great talent along the lines and front 7.

Advertisement
I totally fell more in line with the “here we go again” crowd early in the game when we spotted them points and it could really have snowballed. In a weird way, I’m thankful for the adversity. All teams need to learn how to win during a culture change. I’m so glad I got to see another mentally tough UM team play tonight. It had been a while.
I agree as there will be adversity later in the season so hopefully having a game like this to remember will be helpful for the players.

Advertisement
I knew Cristobal liked the team when he decided to run a scrimmage open to the public and they went at it. The physicality, u can see it. If yall watch the first drive Texas A&M had in the game. They were inside the 5 yard line and ran a play. And i think it was Kam hit the RB so hard, i was like wow. Been a while since i seen that, and it started from jump.

I knew Cristobal liked the team when he decided to run a scrimmage open to the public and they went at it. The physicality, u can see it. If yall watch the first drive Texas A&M had in the game. They were inside the 5 yard line and ran a play. And i think it was Kam hit the RB so hard, i was like wow. Been a while since i seen that, and it started from jump.
But Matt Shodell said we were keeping the cameras / media out because it was such a **** shown…..

Last edited:
But Matt Shodell said we were keeping the kids out because it was such a **** shown…..
we could win a national title and shodell would still be negative. he lives for negativity. hes the opposite of don Bailey jr

Advertisement
Back