Mario pros and cons revisited

Cribby

All-American
Premium
We always hear the things Mario lacks or doesn’t do well. Heres some examples.

1. No play calling experience or scheme
2. X / O guru
3. In game coaching
4. Qb development / offense issues

Yet we forget about the things he does bring here. When he got the job I mentioned all those negatives but I also mentioned the positives and those intrigued me. Here’s the examples.

1. We’ll be physical and much tougher
2. He’ll acquire talent and build a talented roster
3. Most importantly he’ll build up the trenches and will put a focus on the OL.
4. Build a culture

We tend to focus on all the negatives but having a coach is a lot like finding the perfect woman, it doesn’t exist. We’re already seeing his finger prints being put all over this team. Today we played a top 25 Sec team and looked like the more physical team. He’s completely rebuilt the OL in one year and stacked talent / depth that we haven’t had in years.

Football is and will always be dictated by the trenches and our coach specializes in the trenches. So the OC’s will come and go but the one consistent here will be quality OL play. That alone is just as big as say having a X / O guru like Sarkasian or Heupel.

Tonight was Mario’s biggest win and was a much needed sign to fans / recruits that things are changing and he does in fact have a plan. This is how you sell a program, not cute quotes , slogans or talk game. The proof is in substance.

As I‘ve been saying “ things just feel different with this team “ and i’m even more confident of that tonight. Teams in the past would’ve packed up camp after multiple power shots to the dome. But there was resolve , mental toughness and determination I haven’t seen in years.

Great win.

Advertisement
Agreed on 99 percent. But I will say it appears that his coordinators are free to call their game and that is a testament to Mario growing as a CEO coach.
That last TD pass? That probably doesn’t happen in previous years, either at Miami or at Oregon. That was step on their throat mentality, and not run out the game mentality.

Love what I’m seeing out of Mario v2.0

Advertisement
I totally fell more in line with the “here we go again” crowd early in the game when we spotted them points and it could really have snowballed. In a weird way, I’m thankful for the adversity. All teams need to learn how to win during a culture change. I’m so glad I got to see another mentally tough UM team play tonight. It had been a while.

He may actually be a changed man..

Thought he was way to sudden.. Didn’t think it was possible to find a OC that could marry what he likes with what the fans want..

He did it..

And that OL he built, makes everything possible..

Advertisement

2. X / O guru
3. In game coaching

Yet we forget about the things he does bring here. When he got the job I mentioned all those negatives but I also mentioned the positives and those intrigued me. Here’s the examples.

4. Build a culture

We tend to focus on all the negatives but having a coach is a lot like finding the perfect woman, it doesn’t exist. We’re already seeing his finger prints being put all over this team. Today we played a top 25 Sec team and looked like the more physical team. He’s completely rebuilt the OL in one year and stacked talent / depth that we haven’t had in years.

Football is and will always be dictated by the trenches and our coach specializes in the trenches. So the OC’s will come and go but the one consistent here will be quality OL play. That alone is just as big as say having a X / O guru like Sarkasian or Heupel.

Tonight was Mario’s biggest win and was a much needed sign to fans / recruits that things are changing and he does in fact have a plan. This is how you sell a program, not cute quotes , slogans or talk game. The proof is in substance.

As I‘ve been saying “ things just feel different with this team “ and i’m even more confident of that tonight. Teams in the past would’ve packed up camp after multiple power shots to the dome. But there was resolve , mental toughness and determination I haven’t seen in years.

Great win.

You heard Mario during his interview in between quarters. He said WE’RE BUILT FOR THIS. WE JUST GOTTA GO

Agreed on 99 percent. But I will say it appears that his coordinators are free to call their game and that is a testament to Mario growing as a CEO coach.
That last TD pass? That probably doesn’t happen in previous years, either at Miami or at Oregon. That was step on their throat mentality, and not run out the game mentality.

Love what I’m seeing out of Mario v2.0
100%. If he lets them do their thing he will still have a physical team but one that is also fun and can put up points.

I honestly haven’t felt this good about a win since ND 2017. The things Mario has been able to change and implement in 18 months after nearly 20 years of rot and toxicity is truly amazing. Cleary the guy is a relentless worker who won’t stop until he brings our U back.

Advertisement
Advertisement

2. X / O guru
3. In game coaching

4. Build a culture

Great win.
"we're built for this" when he said that, I knew we were winning.

You are right. they are suppose have a strength in the trenches and we bullied them. our true fresh made some mistakes but other than that safety no one was consistent for them.

That's what any great leader does in business. It didn't seem Mario was micromanaging today. Maybe, just may, Mario is human and he's learning
I’m trying not to overreact after a nice win over a middle of the road SEC team but it sure did feel different today. Not only was the team mentally tough but they were having fun. We haven’t seen that in a long time.

I get having a scheme and calling plays is a plus but look how that’s NOT working out for Jimbo at this moment?

He most likely was forced to give up the duties, and hired a guy that almost no other P5 school would touch.

If we can recruit and stack chips like this the pros of Mario will put weight the cons cuz a lot of really good coaches will want to be here.

Advertisement
Back