Mario on Joe Rose Show Monday 10/9

So the A&M game was a fluke? Momma Kelly describing you to a T.
Fluke may be too strong of a description, but it’s certainly the outlier. In Mario’s tenure at Miami it’s the only game his team has played well and won against a P5 or similarly talented opponent.

Not saying that can’t or won’t change, but in the 17 game sample size, it’s the truth.

Advertisement
I didn't like the Mario hire at all but was willing to give him a chance. I felt like the only way for us to succeed was to marginalize Mario when it came to game planning and play calling. I believe this is being done, I hope anyway. But if we finish 8-4, secure a top 5-10 recruiting class(including the portal), and he brings in a non-head case QB with talent, then I'll forgive Mario. This was never going to be the year for us anyway. I do have serious doubts about his ability to prepare his team for games especially after a bye week.

I didn't like the Mario hire at all but was willing to give him a chance. I felt like the only way for us to succeed was to marginalize Mario when it came to game planning and play calling. I believe this is being done, I hope anyway. But if we finish 8-4, secure a top 5-10 recruiting class(including the portal), and he brings in a non-head case QB with talent, then I'll forgive Mario. This was never going to be the year for us anyway. I do have serious doubts about his ability to prepare his team for games especially after a bye week.
Mario was 3rd on my list....but who I REALLY wanted as OC was Dan Mullen....F all that "He's Goofy BS".....Bottomline, his work with QBs is unparalleled. I have absolutely no doubt we score 35+ pts vs GT with him calling plays...on his resume is
Tebow
Alex Smith
Dak Prescott
Kyle Trask.....hand him TVD, Jacurri and Emory, with a plethora of our RBs & WRs and we'd be rolling.

Advertisement
Mario was 3rd on my list....but who I REALLY wanted as OC was Dan Mullen....F all that "He's Goofy BS".....Bottomline, his work with QBs is unparalleled. I have absolutely no doubt we score 35+ pts vs GT with him calling plays...on his resume is
Tebow
Alex Smith
Dak Prescott
Kyle Trask.....hand him TVD, Jacurri and Emory, with a plethora of our RBs & WRs and we'd be rolling.
I felt the exact same but I came to realize that man isn’t going back to being an OC for anybody. He wants to run his own show or he’ll sit at home with his feet up… or be a talking head.

Mehh… we all have opinions and we’re entitled to them.

What I saw was an overzealous OC trying to get greedy because the offense underperformed. He wanted to win by more than 3 and it bit him in the ***.

Wait… you think there haven’t been or even current Coordinators who have autonomy in play calling? Or at least until they prove they can’t handle it?
We are not talking about play calling here.
And no, I don’t think there has ever been a head coach that gave all autonomy to his OC.
Do you think Dawson is the sole person deciding when to go for it on 4th down?
This is the same scenario.
Even if it was Dawsons call, Mario should have stepped in and told him to take a knee.
I do however, think everyone on that staff takes some responsibility. Someone should of at least appreciated Mario to tell him, the game is over and to take a knee.

Fluke may be too strong of a description, but it’s certainly the outlier. In Mario’s tenure at Miami it’s the only game his team has played well and won against a P5 or similarly talented opponent.

Not saying that can’t or won’t change, but in the 17 game sample size, it’s the truth.

We have a 2 game sample size. Last year was last year. This is a different team. We beat the **** out of A&M, and we beat the **** out of GT everywhere but the scoreboard. 4 real turnovers and then another turnover on downs will do that. But we have 2 more big measuring stick games coming in, let's see how those go.

We‘ll all be pulling for the canes come Saturday. This is truly a defining moment. What Mario has to do now is gather himself first and get the team to rally and trust “the process”. What bothers me about the process is that does it include a learning curve to be a head coach? We just went through this with Diaz. This weekend will tell a lot about all the hype all the “culture” changes. I’m not optimistic about rebounding with a win here. It would be nice but I will be looking more toward the rebound progress of this “process” going forward. Let’s go canes.

Advertisement
Only silver lining is if we win 2/3rd of UNC, Clemson, FSU, and we end with like 2 wins and 1 of them is this GTech debacle, it's actually not the worst result in the world to have lost on the stupidest decision to end a game ever.....

kinda weird but yeah this is true. didnt realize it

We have a 2 game sample size. Last year was last year. This is a different team. We beat the **** out of A&M, and we beat the **** out of GT everywhere but the scoreboard. 4 real turnovers and then another turnover on downs will do that. But we have 2 more big measuring stick games coming in, let's see how those go.
This entire ordeal is an indictment of Mario. This discussion is about Mario. Mario at Miami has a year and a half sample size.

Advertisement
This entire ordeal is an indictment of Mario. This discussion is about Mario. Mario at Miami has a year and a half sample size.

Well first of all you said 17 game sample size against P5 competition, but we haven't played 17 games vs P5 teams. Against the ones we have played, we looked like **** in all but 2. But we looked like **** against almost everyone last year. We looked very good against almost everyone this year. The team is much improved, period. Look past the coaching blunder for a second if you want to talk overall team. If he just takes a knee like my grandma knows to do, we're 5-0 and people aren't thrilled with winning 20-17, but there isn't anywhere close to the overall vitriol over the on-field performance only as there has been since Saturday night. People are attributing the coaching decision at the end with how good the team is and that's not a smart thing to do.

If you want to have pause because we didn't play well, I'm all for that. But we get to find out Saturday if that's warranted or not. I just hope the team doesn't let the coaching staff's decision making in the last minute of the game to beat them twice.

Is the TAMU game similar to the win vs Florida in 2013?
I think we played better against ATm than we did against UF. our offense performed well over a good defense in atm. UF fell apart obviously as the season went on esp as the injuries piled up, but I think atm was better. that 13 year didnt fall apart till duke and Dorsett got hurt against FSU and after. we didnt really have the dumbass loss This early on in that season

Advertisement
Pop Tv Please GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
1qa1.gif

I wish he would have expanded on the process a bit. There should be someone on the offensive staff who is responsible for that and a bunch of other things. It’s shocking that nobody on the staff called for a Victory formation. Tells me we may have a poor culture and people are afraid to make the call. Or worse nobody on the staff knew to do that, which is very unlikely.

Maybe he took too many hits to the head while playing and his mind is starting to waiver. Hope thats not the case, but it happens. It certainly would explain the buffoon decisions.

I am the same age as Mario, didn’t play football, but your mind definitely starts to go. Especially under pressure.

Dude is a .500 coach throughout his career.

Advertisement
Back