Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

I don't think that's a viable argument for what happened there with Herbert. Did you see the article and its data? It was a clear effort to be a run heavy team. Listen, to each their own, but if you have that talent at QB, I think it's fair for people to ask "what the heck happened that he was restrained?"
Certainly a fair question, but this was under a different OC (Marcus Arroyo) who can't hold a candle to the guy Mario replaced him with, Joe Moorhead who is one of, if not the best OC in the country. Would have certainly been much more interesting to see how Moorhead ran the offense with Herbert under center.

Nevertheless Oregon has still fielded top 20 offenses in terms of YPA against Power 5 opponents in each of the last 3 years.

Advertisement
Over 14 games that breaks down to 247 yards passing and just over two TDs a game.

For a guy currently scorching the NFL, those are pretty pedestrian wouldn’t you agree?
He had 10tds against Nevada and Montana.

Went for 300+ against those types and Arizona who is terrible.

Games against teams with good defenses..Mario was managing the **** out of him like he was Ryan Tannehil. Its what had me not wanting him on my fins. Even with those stats they were conservative with hima s ****

If I was hopeful for the U: Mario/Lane/Freeze - three coaches I'd be hopeful about.

But i'm not hopeful regardless so there is that...

So what if the Pac-12 is awful? There is no discussion without a win over Ohio State. None. Mario would be an upgrade over what Miami has had, and I don’t see the next National Title coach walking theough the door, so if he can win us our division regularly and put Miami in the discussion, then I care. And yes, thats where this program is. We need to start winning consecutive bowl games before we start thumbing our noses to coaches who merely “improve” our program.

A few things:

1. You don’t understand why bringing up the PAC-12 is relevant. My point is/was he isn’t dominating said inferior competition. If he was consistently beating said inferior competition, that would be something. The coaching in the PAC-12 is awful especially with USC retaining Clay Helton for an eternity (now gone) and Washington not having Petersen. Let’s see if he finishes the season with only 1 loss against those scrubs.

2. As for OSU, yes he beat OSU. That is good. Especially on the road.

3. Being an upgrade over what Miami had is not an accomplishment. How many of those coaches were offered another P5 gig? We’ve had some of the worst coaching over the last 15 years; not an accomplishment to be an “upgrade”.

4. Who is asking for a coach that simply “improves” the program? Simply a competent coach, which we haven’t had one since ____________, would be an “improvement”.

Serious question, if Mario never went or coached for Miami, would you bring him up?

Advertisement
A few things:

1. You don’t understand why bringing up the PAC-12 is relevant. My point is/was he isn’t dominating said inferior competition. If he was consistently beating said inferior competition, that would be something. The coaching in the PAC-12 is awful especially with USC retaining Clay Helton for an eternity (now gone) and Washington not having Petersen. Let’s see if he finishes the season with only 1 loss against those scrubs.

2. As for OSU, yes he beat OSU. That is good. Especially on the road.

3. Being an upgrade over what Miami had is not an accomplishment. How many of those coaches were offered another P5 gig? We’ve had some of the worst coaching over the last 15 years; not an accomplishment to be an “upgrade”.

4. Who is asking for a coach that simply “improves” the program? Simply a competent coach, which we haven’t had one since ____________, would be an “improvement”.

Serious question, if Mario never went or coached for Miami, would you bring him up?
It's the exact opposite: If Mario never went or coached at Miami we would have zero chance to get him.

Whether do we like it or not is one of the best recruiters in the country, a multiple conference champion, and an HC for one of the top programs.

It's the exact opposite: If Mario never went or coached at Miami we would have zero chance to get him.

Whether do we like it or not is one of the best recruiters in the country, a multiple conference champion, and an HC for one of the top programs.

Can we answer the question I posed first? Or no.

Advertisement
I’m not doubting Cristobal is a good coach. But it’s easy to win at Oregon. They’ve played for the NC 2 times in recent years with I believe different coaches. You can’t just blindly hire him because he’s doing good at a job that others have done well at. It’s not like he has Ole Miss in the top 10

Can we answer the question I posed first? Or no.
I think that is only right to have doubts and that a mere upgrade is not enough but there is no sure thing in a coaching search,

It is always a coin toss, for example, everyone thought that Herman at UT, Frost at Nebraska, Fuente at VT were slam dunk hires and then what happened?

I’m not doubting Cristobal is a good coach. But it’s easy to win at Oregon. They’ve played for the NC 2 times in recent years with I believe different coaches. You can’t just blindly hire him because he’s doing good at a job that others have done well at. It’s not like he has Ole Miss in the top 10

My post has nothing to do with Mario. There are no opinions below, just the facts.

Let’s remove Lane’s tenure at FAU and discuss his actual college tenure:

1. His overall record is 48-28
2. His conference record is 29-23
3. Zero conference championships in those 6 seasons*.

*Yes, Lane was 7-2 in conference in 2010. That same year Oregon was 8-1 and Stanford was 8-1. Maybe he beats one of them in the Conference championship, maybe not.

Advertisement
The head coach of the number 3 team in the country, absolutely.

Interesting, so being the number 3 ranked team at a random point in the season is an accomplishment?

We can get Richt back then. He had us 2nd at one point and undefeated.

I think you’re being slightly dishonest about whether or not you would consider him.

To answer your question now. I think he probably wouldn’t consider us. So we’d have a name that almost no one would bring up and a coach that wouldn’t likely consider us. Match made!

I think that is only right to have doubts and that a mere upgrade is not enough but there is no sure thing in a coaching search,

It is always a coin toss, for example, everyone thought that Herman at UT, Frost at Nebraska, Fuente at VT were slam dunk hires and then what happened?

No such thing as a sure thing? I agree.

As to those names, all of them deserved a chance at a P5 coaching. Logically they did what was necessary to be considered and they deserved big time gigs. They dominated their inferior competition and for a long time (sans Herman).

Not sure of the relevance of this though.

None of this answers my question.

Interesting, so being the number 3 ranked team at a random point in the season is an accomplishment?

We can get Richt back then. He had us 2nd at one point and undefeated.

I think you’re being slightly dishonest about whether or not you would consider him.

To answer your question now. I think he probably wouldn’t consider us. So we’d have a name that almost no one would bring up and a coach that wouldn’t likely consider us. Match made!
Are you really going to suggest Richt was a bad coach and not just one past his prime with medical issues?

I was firmly in the anti-Mario camp as recently as a year ago. I didn't change my mind because he went to Miami.

Advertisement
Are you really going to suggest Richt was a bad coach and not just one past his prime with medical issues?

I was firmly in the anti-Mario camp as recently as a year ago. I didn't change my mind because he went to Miami.

We’re not going to go on a Richt tangent and discuss that but Richt was a bad hire.

The point of bringing Richt up was that being the “3rd” ranked team at a random point in the season is not a real selling point for an HC.

Okay, so you believe that you would know/consider Mario if he went/coached somewhere else. Great. I don’t see why given what he has actually accomplished on the sidelines.

And let me be clear on something, this is based on Mario today.

If he goes on to:

1. Beat Utah,
2. Finish the regular season with 8-1 conference record, and
3. Win the conference championship

That shows me he has dominated the PAC-12 twice over three years and was able to win after Herbert left.

This is useless and doesn’t lead anywhere. He‘s the plan A and that’s a fact. If he wants the job it’s his. You might not like the Mario hire and maybe like another coach more, but I can **** all over him and find as many flaws or more than Mario.

You can’t say “ I don’t want Mario then come back with ” but I’d love Kiffen”. That’s beyond idiotic , that guy has as many red flags as anyone lol, and that’s coming from a guy who’s ok with him being plan b.

Fact is there’s no perfect coach but the best fit is obviously one guy. Yes he’s an alum, yes he’s Cuban , yes he loves Miami and it’s home. All of that is true but he’s also a guy who’s built something , recruited well and winning at a high level. I know this is Cis but how can you poo poo this especially after the Trestman, Edsall, Chud , schiano lists ?

Yall want experience , winners and somebody that gets the job, but Mario is a bad idea lol. He’s not the end all hire because there isn’t one. That doesn’t exist. We can play this game until the end of time with every candidate.

Advertisement
Back