Mario and Mirabal’s Offensive Mentality

Alex Mirabal is absolutely right
You call run plays to begin with that are successful and get good gains, then follow it up with RPOs later on which open the passes and more yards for the receivers after catches.

These coaches made it clear, they want to open the pass from the run, Lashlee did the opposite, threw to open the run, but the run game suffered tremendously, which in turn puts significant pressure on the defense.

The offense wasn't the problem this year, other then turnovers, see former QB, and we still almost won, because of the run game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In all seriousness, an OC should not be concerned that his QB is going to take the pass option on every RPO call. If so, you need to play a different quarterback. I understand that nobody makes the right read every time but if your quarterback is pulling the ball and throwing it to the man who dropped into coverage, he's a terrible quarterback and shouldn't be playing for you.
Did I miss the news that Mirabal got promoted to OC? Its been kinda slow since ESD so haven't kept up with coaching changes.

Advertisement
Did I miss the news that Mirabal got promoted to OC? Its been kinda slow since ESD so haven't kept up with coaching changes.
I wasn’t talking about mirabal. I was talking about the person who makes the decision on what play get called and who lines up at quarterback.

Alex Mirabal is absolutely right
You call run plays to begin with that are successful and get good gains, then follow it up with RPOs later on which open the passes and more yards for the receivers after catches.

These coaches made it clear, they want to open the pass from the run, Lashlee did the opposite, threw to open the run, but the run game suffered tremendously, which in turn puts significant pressure on the defense.

The offense wasn't the problem this year, other then turnovers, see former QB, and we still almost won, because of the run game.
Except this offense struggled to run the ball against good defenses last year. Clemson was the only good opponent they averaged over 4 yards a carry against and a lot of that was because a wide receiver had an 80 yard run. As much as the tough and fyzical crew wants to dominate the line of scrimmage, this offense struggled mightily when the quarterback couldn’t carry them. They wanted to “impose their will” but in the end, if they didn’t get good quarterback play, they lost.

Except this offense struggled to run the ball against good defenses last year. Clemson was the only good opponent they averaged over 4 yards a carry against and a lot of that was because a wide receiver had an 80 yard run. As much as the tough and fyzical crew wants to dominate the line of scrimmage, this offense struggled mightily when the quarterback couldn’t carry them. They wanted to “impose their will” but in the end, if they didn’t get good quarterback play, they lost.

Good Quarterback play?

We heard this in another thread …

A. Play to a QB’s strengths and have a pretty **** good QB

Or

B. Force him to evolve and the game falls apart

and we chose B…

Advertisement
Good Quarterback play?

We heard this in another thread …

A. Play to a QB’s strengths and have a pretty **** good QB

Or

B. Force him to evolve and the game falls apart

and we chose B…
Tyler was a flawed quarterback but they didn’t do him a lot of favors the last two years. Especially rolling him out week after week while hurt because they had nobody else they could trust. Cam Ward is a much better player so hopefully he’ll be more adaptive. They’re definitely not going to cater the offense around him but I have confidence he’s good enough to succeed without help.

You're right and I don't disagree. Every team we've won versus didn't have good quarterback play either.

With Williams, everyone and they're grandmother knew were running and games like vs UNC passed 49 times and ran 29 and tvd threw two interceptions.

When you play the brand of football Mirabal/Mario want to play, you can't turn it over and you have to play good field position.

I think long term it's better for stability of the program. They're just asking the qb to make a couple deep throws a game, don't turn it over and then make a bunch of short passes.
Stretch the field horizontally to create vertical seams for the runners, then go over the top every so often.

Part of imposing your will is in pass protection. Pass pro is not passive. Not when it’s done right. And the protection was possibly the best I’ve seen since 2001. I would like to see what happens if we give Cam Ward that kind of time. The kid might blow a load on the field the first time he hits his back foot on a 5 step drop and there’s nobody near him.

But yes, we didn’t run it well enough against good teams. 100%.

We finished 20th in the country in yards per carry last year with a statue at QB and the most injured RB room in the history of the sport.

Wanna know where we ranked in average rushes per game??

87th. Eighty. Seventh. In carries per game.

And it’s not because we played absurdly slow. We certainly didn’t play fast, but we were a little lower than middle of the pack in plays per game.

Top 40 in pass attempts per game. Again, with a turnover machine at QB and a true freshman. And it’s not like we got blown out every week and had to throw it 70 times. We lost one game all season by more than 1 score.

But please, tell me more about Mirabal’s tweets lmao.

Mario likes to have a tough team with good lines. So did Michigan. So does UGA. So does Alabama. I have no idea why some of you think this is some horrible thing that makes us incapable of winning. We literally threw the ball way more than we ran it last year, even though we were pretty good at running it and we were competitive in every game.
People just look at the W/L results and *****, even if it involves making **** up

Advertisement
I love the physical trashing and bombardment. Again unnecessary Mario hate on rinse and repeat. The bottom line national championship teams have had good if not great running games with outliers being 1 year each of FSU and Clemson. A good portion were top 20.

A balanced and more creative run game from Dawson is imperative but the bottom line is we need to be a top 50 running team.

2023 Mich 43rd UM 47. 22- UGA 14th UM 106, 21- UGA 39th UM 111th, 20 -Bama 49th UM 66th, 19-LSU 51st UM 122, 18-Clem 10th UM 44th, 17-Bama 10th UM 79th, 16-Clem 79th UM 101, 15-OSU 8th UM 118th, 14-FSU 100 UM 44th, 13-Bama 24th UM 82nd, 12-Bama 16th UM 82ND

People just look at the W/L results and *****, even if it involves making **** up

At the end of the day, W’s and L’s are all that matter. So if you wanna ***** we only won 7, fire away. You have every right to. And we all should be ****ed.

But there are reasons why we only won 7, and reasons why you could be hesitant that it won’t improve significantly. A tweet from our OL coach is neither of those things. At all.

mirabal.jpg

Advertisement
Part of imposing your will is in pass protection. Pass pro is not passive. Not when it’s done right. And the protection was possibly the best I’ve seen since 2001. I would like to see what happens if we give Cam Ward that kind of time. The kid might blow a load on the field the first time he hits his back foot on a 5 step drop and there’s nobody near him.

But yes, we didn’t run it well enough against good teams. 100%.
We were actually fantastic for the most part in pass protection. I think Ward is going to have a field day now that he won’t be running for his life half the game. That said, we all know what “imposing your will” means to these guys. It means running the ball down their throat until they have to devote extra men to the run game and then using play action. Whether or not we can be 2000’s Wisconsin is up for debate but I just want our coaches to realize that playing to our quarterback’s strengths gives us the best opportunity to win games.

I love the physical trashing and bombardment. Again unnecessary Mario hate on rinse and repeat. The bottom line national championship teams have had good if not great running games with outliers being 1 year each of FSU and Clemson. A good portion were top 20.

A balanced and more creative run game from Dawson is imperative but the bottom line is we need to be a top 50 running team.

2023 Mich 43rd UM 47. 22- UGA 14th UM 106, 21- UGA 39th UM 111th, 20 -Bama 49th UM 66th, 19-LSU 51st UM 122, 18-Clem 10th UM 44th, 17-Bama 10th UM 79th, 16-Clem 79th UM 101, 15-OSU 8th UM 118th, 14-FSU 100 UM 44th, 13-Bama 24th UM 82nd, 12-Bama 16th UM 82ND

We were actually fantastic for the most part in pass protection. I think Ward is going to have a field day now that he won’t be running for his life half the game. That said, we all know what “imposing your will” means to these guys. It means running the ball down their throat until they have to devote extra men to the run game and then using play action. Whether or not we can be 2000’s Wisconsin is up for debate but I just want our coaches to realize that playing to our quarterback’s strengths gives us the best opportunity to win games.

I think we will. Dawson actually had some QB run elements at Houston and that was with a white kid who ran 4.64.

Would be borderline criminal to run the same offense they ran with TVD now that Ward is there.

@TRick72 - I have a huge amount of respect for your posts despite our differences in some areas. My main point to the minions of bashing our coaches and thiss PHYZICAL mantra like Mario is straight on meat-head.

The bottom line is you want a balanced offensive output. We all know you want to be able to diversity. Mario is trying to build up the trenches to be straight BULLIES. All of the national championship teams as I posted beside, were top 50. Most were top 20. If we can not run well we are very unlikely to win the NC.

I’m open to debate. I don’t enjoy being Face Palmed without at list a hint of what was so dumbfounding about my thoughts.

Advertisement
Back