Mario and Mirabal’s Offensive Mentality

Iirc, saw a stat around the lines of we ran the ball against non-P5 opponents at a 7 ypc clip, but against P5 opponents it was 4.2 ypc clip.

I think it also stated something to the fact that we were one of the slowest offense, snapping the ball w/ around 12-13 secs on the clock on avg. which ranked 99th out of 133rd. Lastly, many of us here have watched our games either in person or via networks. Many know what led to us passing the ball more often in certain games & I don’t need to rehash that. Raw stats tell a story, but not the full story.

We know what “bro style” is referred to, and it’s much more than just passing vs. rushing.
That explanation of “Bro Ball” and PHYZICAL makes a bit more sense is great input. I had not heard it here mentioned a lot but yes offensive pace and executing more fast paced series from start to finish.

They need more motion. There is no reason Dawson should be spending as much time as possible picking the brain of Mcdaniels. It completely changes the game.

We are trying to be a balanced team though. Ratios is generally going to be near 50:50 run/pass. But there should always be a couple games against inferior opponents or the coaches/players are just clicking offensively. A&M last year that you just ball out passing vs running or vice versa. You run into a team that can stop a run for their lives.

Advertisement
At the end of the day, W’s and L’s are all that matter. So if you wanna ***** we only won 7, fire away. You have every right to. And we all should be ****ed.

But there are reasons why we only won 7, and reasons why you could be hesitant that it won’t improve significantly. A tweet from our OL coach is neither of those things. At all.
The bottom line is our QB FIRE BOMBED emotionally and physically after starting the season 4-0.

The hype started picking up and after that first pick vs GaTech he mentally folded like a lawn chair after a BBQ. I no lie was shook by his reaction and demeanor that one play. I immediately felt uneasy.

A true leader would have been patting his chest yelling, “ my bad. I got this. “ Then immediately go to Dawson about how the coverage confused him. Talk about different ways to attack. What they could to to counteract the D. I’m almost positive after cursing himself , bowing his head, tucking his tail, he went straight to the bench and pouted with his helmet (Wilson). Then mentally stayed on Castaway Island sulking in self pity. He was already having some personal issues, he refused to tell coaches about injuries, never became a true vocal leader of the team but even worse, he was a pouty, emotionally unstable, introvert.

Football aside I’m happy came back and played well for his own mental health teetering on the balance. With that said…

It was one of the toughest things to watch on TV. I dare you go back starting from GaTech and only watch film on TVD especially his mannerisms, body language, if he speaks AT ALL what he says and the tone, the INTs and what he is looking at.

I feel bad for the kid but the season hinged (at fault of Mario for no QB 2) on his shoulders but he couldn’t hold his end of the bargain. I don’t care what anyone says if TVD that showed up In A&M showed the rest of the season we’re playing in ACC championship in a battle.

When you play the brand of football Mirabal/Mario want to play, you can't turn it over and you have to play good field position.
This is exactly why I am not a fan of that brand of football. Why would you purposely narrow your own margin for error? Obviously turnovers hurt every team and getting good field position helps every team but if you can’t overcome turnovers and you NEED field position, you’re essentially capping your team’s potential. Why not run an offense that doesn’t fall completely apart if you have a turnover? Or one that can get you back in a game if you fall behind early? Or one that doesn’t require your defense to pitch a shutout every week to have a chance to win? The best teams can do all these things. I’m hoping they up the aggression on offense now that they have a healthy quarterback they trust.

Playing it close to the vest is what sorry teams do. They play super conservative while hoping to keep the game close enough to where a lucky bounce can change the outcome. If you’re better than your opponent, your goal should be to do everything possible to make sure the game doesn’t come down to a lucky bounce or a bad call or something you have no control over. Playing in too many close games eventually leads to losses. You can only get the lucky bounce so many times in one score games. Playing safe is for scared coaches who have no other choice.

The Mike Leach (Rest in Power, sweet Pirate King) crew won't be satisfied until we are throwing the ball 97 times a game.
Having a fYziCaL offensive line is not a good thing.
Mario BAD.

That about sums it up.
This actually isn't satire at all on this board

Im perfectly fine with imposing your will on a team by lining up and running but..when u dont try to create pre snap advantages and u don’t leverage the run game into big plays in the passing game consistently then thats where u have problems and it just becomes u running into a wall over n over again

See how Michigan consistently put Bama defense in conflict by manipulating their coverage rules with shifts and motions ore snap..Thats the game within the game that we have been lacking for years

Advertisement

This tweet sort of sums it up. Force your “identity” at the expense of being smart and creative.

Mirabal saying TVD was to blame, got it. JK JK

But in reality- how would you know that would be the hole opened pre-snap in a HS game when you "didn't lock the run" ? you wouldn't. Maybe the OL just really won the rep after losing the prior 5? ZERO context. I had a coach beg me to lock the run one time and a 1y run became a game winning TD- works both ways

Im perfectly fine with imposing your will on a team by lining up and running but..when u dont try to create pre snap advantages and u don’t leverage the run game into big plays in the passing game consistently then thats where u have problems and it just becomes u running into a wall over n over again

See how Michigan consistently put Bama defense in conflict by manipulating their coverage rules with shifts and motions ore snap..Thats the game within the game that we have been lacking for years
Michigan also used a varied attack with inside and outside runs. I hate sitting at home knowing what plays are coming before the snap.

This is exactly why I am not a fan of that brand of football. Why would you purposely narrow your own margin for error? Obviously turnovers hurt every team and getting good field position helps every team but if you can’t overcome turnovers and you NEED field position, you’re essentially capping your team’s potential. Why not run an offense that doesn’t fall completely apart if you have a turnover? Or one that can get you back in a game if you fall behind early? Or one that doesn’t require your defense to pitch a shutout every week to have a chance to win? The best teams can do all these things. I’m hoping they up the aggression on offense now that they have a healthy quarterback they trust.

Playing it close to the vest is what sorry teams do. They play super conservative while hoping to keep the game close enough to where a lucky bounce can change the outcome. If you’re better than your opponent, your goal should be to do everything possible to make sure the game doesn’t come down to a lucky bounce or a bad call or something you have no control over. Playing in too many close games eventually leads to losses. You can only get the lucky bounce so many times in one score games. Playing safe is for scared coaches who have no other choice.
I get your sentiments and why you would feel that way.
When you're a team equivalent of Miami's talent has been for the past several years, this is the style you have to play, essentially hope the bounces and breaks, the one or two a game, go your way and then you win.
They're focusing on the fundamentals, blocking tackling and ball security.

I do agree that the best teams do all of that as well, but unfortunately we are not a "best" team and playing a more air raid style of offense wouldn't have rocketed us to one of them. We would have won an extra game, but it's also possible we lose another one (no way we win vs Clemson that way, but may have beat GTECH that way).
When you go air raid you're extremely reliant on one player, the QB, as well as the OC. Either of them leave and you're caught with your pants down or have a major drop.
Look.at USC great qb great air raid oc, but I doubt that defensive talent is THAT bad.
TCU is another great example, qb and OC left and now, they're mediocre at best.

This style offense and recruitment is to build not only an offense but a program that last a long time. Just sucks right now, but three years in and we might have a good year coming.

Michigan also used a varied attack with inside and outside runs. I hate sitting at home knowing what plays are coming before the snap.
re Michigan- also Edwards scored on a 40+ yard TD AFTER running into the OL's butt, zero vision, almost like his eyes were closed.
Then he proved you don't need a RB coach at all and broke the thing for 40+.
Athletes with burst gonna burst; plodding Larry Jones Fletcher-Chaney's are gonna plod.

Advertisement
re Michigan- also Edwards scored on a 40+ yard TD AFTER running into the OL's butt, zero vision, almost like his eyes were closed.
Then he proved you don't need a RB coach at all and broke the thing for 40+.
Athletes with burst gonna burst; plodding Larry Jones Fletcher-Chaney's are gonna plod.
Speed certainly can mask deficiencies, but Lorenzo Lingard is rolling over in his grave.

They were there. Wide open guys were running but he often threw to Xavier in tight coverage or doubled coverage.

I don't think this board understands how bad he was at actually reading defenses. He was a one read pony. If the OC called the perfect play then TVD would get it to him, if not, then were euchered. The guy had a **** of an arm and accuracy, but he read a defense like a grade 2 reading Plato.

They were there. Wide open guys were running but he often threw to Xavier in tight coverage or doubled coverage.

I don't think this board understands how bad he was at actually reading defenses. He was a one read pony. If the OC called the perfect play then TVD would get it to him, if not, then were euchered. The guy had a **** of an arm and accuracy, but he read a defense like a grade 2 reading Plato.
Not only is this just not true but what does it have to do with me saying they should be more creative lol

I don’t think this board understands that majority of cfb qbs can’t just read defenses at a high levek. No **** the limited qb who is hurt is gonna play like **** when u max protect and the defense is dropping 7 or 8 guys into coverage..yea the windows will be tight. And majority of his picks weren’t even when he targeted X lol yall just repeat **** u see others say.

Yall gotta go actually learn what u are watching instead of just looking at the result of a play

You're right.
Michigan ran a lot of pulling linemen and counters AFTER running basic run to set them up, and they were all successful.
Marrone really knows how to call a run first offense, and they were great designs.
It was my major gripe this year (outside of tvds play) was the expectation of more creativity in the run game (i.e. split zones, zone ugly, traps, counter trey, in or outside zone, etc.).

Advertisement
You're right.
Michigan ran a lot of pulling linemen and counters AFTER running basic run to set them up, and they were all successful.
Marrone really knows how to call a run first offense, and they were great designs.
It was my major gripe this year (outside of tvds play) was the expectation of more creativity in the run game (i.e. split zones, zone ugly, traps, counter trey, in or outside zone, etc.).
Preach, my soul died a little everytime Restrepo motioned into the box.

I get your sentiments and why you would feel that way.
When you're a team equivalent of Miami's talent has been for the past several years, this is the style you have to play, essentially hope the bounces and breaks, the one or two a game, go your way and then you win.
They're focusing on the fundamentals, blocking tackling and ball security.

I do agree that the best teams do all of that as well, but unfortunately we are not a "best" team and playing a more air raid style of offense wouldn't have rocketed us to one of them. We would have won an extra game, but it's also possible we lose another one (no way we win vs Clemson that way, but may have beat GTECH that way).
When you go air raid you're extremely reliant on one player, the QB, as well as the OC. Either of them leave and you're caught with your pants down or have a major drop.
Look.at USC great qb great air raid oc, but I doubt that defensive talent is THAT bad.
TCU is another great example, qb and OC left and now, they're mediocre at best.

This style offense and recruitment is to build not only an offense but a program that last a long time. Just sucks right now, but three years in and we might have a good year coming.
I totally understand the game plan against Clemson because they didn't trust the quarterback. Ideally, they won't have to rely on true freshmen quarterbacks to start again any time soon. But Miami does not need to play it safe against 95% of their opponents. It's been a while since Miami has been at a huge talent disadvantage. Probably Alabama in 2021. Playing it safe and hoping for lucky bounces is some Al Golden, scared coaching.

It's 2024. Every team is reliant on quarterback play. You can't win with game managers anymore. At least not at a high level. Michigan went from a very safe and effective game manager, Cade McNamara, to an elite QB talent in JJ McCarthy and became a playoff/championship team.

Miami's offense, no matter how tough and physical they wanted to play sucked when they didn't get good quarterback play. It's as simple as that. Trying to downplay the importance of good QB play in this day and age is counterproductive.

Advertisement
But according to a lot of our posters, Mario and Mirabal have nothing to do with our offense, or a particular offensive philosophy/preference.

But it’s obvious that what we have seen out of our offense in Mario’s first 2 seasons is exactly what Mirabal is referencing here.

We fugged.
Why do fans choose to look at the good that they embrace and say our qb is Killin it. Our wr group is Killin it. Then the second the results fall apart they blame the head coach,the offensive line coach say the oc and the qb are micromanaged when the vast majority of the plays being ran are exactly the same as the ones we ran previously? I get it's convenient to constantly blame the known commodity for everything. But once in a while people can try to use their brains as well.

Coach Napoleon?
IMG_9652.gif

Why do fans choose to look at the good that they embrace and say our qb is Killin it. Our wr group is Killin it. Then the second the results fall apart they blame the head coach,the offensive line coach say the oc and the qb are micromanaged when the vast majority of the plays being ran are exactly the same as the ones we ran previously? I get it's convenient to constantly blame the known commodity for everything. But once in a while people can try to use their brains as well.

I read this before i looked who posted it, hit reply to say “you must be new here”, and then saw who posted this 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Man, you know using brains ain’t exactly priority #1 with our fans.

This tweet sort of sums it up. Force your “identity” at the expense of being smart and creative.

Ideally that is said from the advantage point of having such superior talent - particularly at running back and offensive line - that you can do exactly that. Overwhelm your opponent in a low cost, low risk way and then smartly strike. It doesn’t work though if you have that talent, hence the focus in talent acquisition.

Advertisement
Back