Manny with an offense

Homie...he literally said if the first half of the first game coming off a pandemic and breaking in a new offensive system that we've lost time installing is tight, then the season is gonna be rough. You don't think that's a little ridiculous? And re-read what I wrote a couple posts later...I agree, we ALWAYS implode after a loss. So I'm not saying if we lose to Temple we're gonna win a natty. That's absurd. But to say the whole season will be rough if we have a close game at halftime of Week 1 is probably even more ridiculous. If it was Bethune, maybe. But it's 1 half of football.

Respect....and you're right, I didn't read completely what he stated, but the 1983 response got me triggered. lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
“Where is Dan?” OMG we just got Alabama’s next OC AND TATE MARTELL! I can’t wait to see MOTION and not all GO routes on 3rd and 5... our offense will help or D dominate even more... wait... wrong year...

Lol. Man I want to believe again and I am optimistic but pretty sure I felt the exact same way last year in June...

I'm with you...
But our OC this year has actually had success as an OC.
The same goes for the QB, to the tune of 80 more TD's and 6,500 more yards than his transfer QB predecessor.

Advertisement
I think we'll consistently go above 30 with Lashlee. But I've also noticed that when we do generate an offense, our defense often has letdowns. The VT and FIU games last year, for example. We were up in the 4th vs. Florida and UNC, for example. We started coming back late vs FIU, and our defense collapsed.

We rarely fire on all engines. So, tbh, I'm just as worried about our defense as our offense. Baker does not inspire confidence.

We need the team that dominated Notre Dame in 2017 to show up regularly in 2021. No gimmicks or Cover-0 double blitzing, just straight out overpowering the opponent.

Did you watch the FIU game? We had 3 points through 3Q

excuses and expectations have to stop.
Game one against temple will tell us what we have.
if we are anywhere near a playoff team then the box and scoreboard will let us know.
mid the stats and final are indicative of what a really good team does to a team like temple then we have a good argument to make. If it’s tight at halftime then the season is gonna be rough.
Lol Brodie no game 1 in any sport Tells u **** ...you know how confident most our fans were after game 1 vs UF..Imo we won’t know what until that trip to East Lansing and how that team handles that

Lol Brodie no game 1 in any sport Tells u **** ...you know how confident most our fans were after game 1 vs UF..Imo we won’t know what until that trip to East Lansing and how that team handles that
Your words are “game one in any sport tells you sht”
By that logic, losing to temple at home will mean the same thing as blowing them out due to the fact that it’s the first game of the season.

Advertisement
Your words are “game one in any sport tells you sht”
By that logic, losing to temple at home will mean the same thing as blowing them out due to the fact that it’s the first game of the season.
In the grand scheme, yes. Simply because it’s a small sample size. You don’t prove anything by dominating a inferior opponent. Especially week 1..but you go up to East Lansing and dominate MSU or get dominated, that tells you way more..a healthy Miami team game 1 won’t lose to temple Let’s throw that out the window..if we beat Temple 48-10 or something like that I won’t be screaming we back. If we win a game 35-17 I won’t be screaming for mannys job either..but if we go up to East Lansing and dominate them then we have a better reason for optimism

We do this thread pretty much every offseason, but I saw some stuff on Twitter and wanted to dive into some numbers on what we can hopefully expect if we get the offense a lot of us think we will with Lashlee and King.

I went back and scrubbed every game since Manny has been here, and while this isn't a perfect metric (what is, really?), it's a good indicator of what we need to do on offense, and how realistic those levels are. I removed all non-offensive TDs given up, and looked at points surrendered by the defense only. Again, it's not perfect, because against LSU for example, they scored 26 points on offense, which is not a horrendous defensive performance. But they took their foot off the gas at halftime essentially, so could they have scored more? Possibly. But I went with the numbers as they are....what has the defense actually given up?

Miami has played 52 games with Manny Diaz on the sidelines. Of those 52, Miami has given up 30+ defensive points 8 times:

2016 @ VT (37)
2016 @ ND (30)
2017 vs Toledo (30)
2017 vs Clemson (37)
2017 vs Wisconsin (34)
2018 vs Wisconsin (35)
2019 vs VT (42)
2019 vs FIU (30)

Now....we've lost 20 games with Manny here. This means that we lost 12 games in 4 seasons where the defense did not give up 30 points or more. That SHOULD NOT happen in college football. Why? Because the game is now an offensive explosion every Saturday. Take a look at how many FBS teams AVERAGED 30 points the past 4 seasons:

2016 -- 50
2017 -- 46
2018 -- 42
2019 -- 47

That's well over a third of teams average 30 a clip. By the way, Miami did average 31.3 a game in 2016 (Hi, Brad Kaaya), and in the 3 years since, have averaged 28.1, 24.8, and bottoming out at 22.6 last season. Just....awful.

So, can Lashlee and King get us 30 a week? AKA, can we just be in the upper third of the country in offense? I think, as we say every year, that is the magic number. I think if we look back in December, and Miami has averaged 30+ a week, I really believe we're sitting at 10-2 or better. The evidence is there. Say what you want about Manny and Baker, I don't think anyone is screaming that it's the best defense in the country, but it's more than adequate to navigate our schedule year after year. The offense (and special teams) haven't held up their end of the bargain week in and week out.

BTW...SMU ranked 5th in the country last year at 41.8 a game. If we get anywhere close to that number, we're literally waltzing to Charlotte and possibly into a NY6 bowl.
Thanks for the breakdown.

One of the hidden factors in the defense is field position. 2018 was horrible. Especially, the LSU game. The punting was atrocious. LSU's average field postion was just short of mid field. That put the defense on its heels and gave LSU momentum making it difficult to mount a comeback.

Advertisement
My point is defenses tend to put up better numbers when the offense plays at a snail's pace. Let's see if the defense remains the same with this new fast paced offense. I suggest the defense will suffer some this year. I'm hopeful that the better offense will outweigh that, and the team overall will be better.

Then, of course, we have the intangibles (i.e., Manure's abysmal failure as a leader of men) that aren't accounted for with stat analysis. You can talk stats all day, but there's never any excuse for a Miami program to lose the games we lost last year regardless of the OC. When you're losing to FIU, GT, Puke, and La Tech, then the problems run much deeper than the OC. We should win those game with you as the OC if it's only a stats thing.

I'm not sure if the defense really falls off that much 🤷🏽‍♂️. It's not like they were working from the best spots last couple of seasons. Better yet, since we're worried about a fast offense that works fast before a score and the negative affects on defense consider this: Was our offense putting up long drives last season? No, how many 3 and outs did we have? Honestly, the defense played ALL the time it seems. This season at least they'll have points on the board and confidence instead of stressed out or ****ed for trying to keep the team alive. Not to mention, the other team won't be playing with the same "blood in the water" mentality most teams had with us because they knew we couldn't score for ****.

That's was major factor for the result in the ND game. We controlled the narrative and they were mindf#cked.. They were scared of Miami again. That gave us the edge to overcome our pedestrian offense. Play calling changes, execution changes all the things you can't plan for.

IF we finally play like we think we should, we are going to see some crazy sh*t this year boys.

We do this thread pretty much every offseason, but I saw some stuff on Twitter and wanted to dive into some numbers on what we can hopefully expect if we get the offense a lot of us think we will with Lashlee and King.

I went back and scrubbed every game since Manny has been here, and while this isn't a perfect metric (what is, really?), it's a good indicator of what we need to do on offense, and how realistic those levels are. I removed all non-offensive TDs given up, and looked at points surrendered by the defense only. Again, it's not perfect, because against LSU for example, they scored 26 points on offense, which is not a horrendous defensive performance. But they took their foot off the gas at halftime essentially, so could they have scored more? Possibly. But I went with the numbers as they are....what has the defense actually given up?

Miami has played 52 games with Manny Diaz on the sidelines. Of those 52, Miami has given up 30+ defensive points 8 times:

2016 @ VT (37)
2016 @ ND (30)
2017 vs Toledo (30)
2017 vs Clemson (37)
2017 vs Wisconsin (34)
2018 vs Wisconsin (35)
2019 vs VT (42)
2019 vs FIU (30)

Now....we've lost 20 games with Manny here. This means that we lost 12 games in 4 seasons where the defense did not give up 30 points or more. That SHOULD NOT happen in college football. Why? Because the game is now an offensive explosion every Saturday. Take a look at how many FBS teams AVERAGED 30 points the past 4 seasons:

2016 -- 50
2017 -- 46
2018 -- 42
2019 -- 47

That's well over a third of teams average 30 a clip. By the way, Miami did average 31.3 a game in 2016 (Hi, Brad Kaaya), and in the 3 years since, have averaged 28.1, 24.8, and bottoming out at 22.6 last season. Just....awful.

So, can Lashlee and King get us 30 a week? AKA, can we just be in the upper third of the country in offense? I think, as we say every year, that is the magic number. I think if we look back in December, and Miami has averaged 30+ a week, I really believe we're sitting at 10-2 or better. The evidence is there. Say what you want about Manny and Baker, I don't think anyone is screaming that it's the best defense in the country, but it's more than adequate to navigate our schedule year after year. The offense (and special teams) haven't held up their end of the bargain week in and week out.

BTW...SMU ranked 5th in the country last year at 41.8 a game. If we get anywhere close to that number, we're literally waltzing to Charlotte and possibly into a NY6 bowl.

Let's not get carried away with coach diaz as a d-co, since he's been here, he doesn't deploy our linebackers well within that scheme he runs. Coach diaz as a d-co here looks better than he actually is as a d-co because first he's smart enuff to understand to let our guys roam free and use their athleticism, this is when guys here consistently make plays. Also the football I.Q. of the players here is always at a high level, so that helps to bail out several bad defensive calls.

The game coach diaz called against clemson was **** poor, he got away from what got us their, plus he was to scared to man up, so he running all that zone coverage, it was sickening to watch, he didn't take away nothing clemson did well. A real Miami d-co would've sho nuff let Clemson know quick, we going man on renfrow, find somebody else, but instead, we zoning up on him too, WTF is going on, when I saw that **** Iost it, that **** diaz was coaching defense scared with that same look he had during the pregame festivities against Lsu, reminded we of this guy:

I expect the same. My reservation is Manure as a leader of men. If he repeats or even comes close to repeating his abysmal failure as a leader last year, then we'll likely see much better numbers offensively, but we'll still find ways to lose and no show and quit and not rise to the occasion. Then, goofballs will go right back to the "the offense (or defense) was good enough to win, but the defense (or offense) killed us" rap that they've been doing for 15 years now.

Manny is literally the biggest X factor. It is not close.

Qb. O Line. Kicker. OC. CB. LB. None of that **** matters.

If Manny leads this team with poise and tenacity, everything will fall into place. We will win games and have fun. That is a BIG if.

If Manny gets out there looking like the moment is to big for him like last year, it is over and the indefensible losses will continue.

Advertisement
I give Manny and the defense **** sometimes but if we can average around 35 PPG we should go undefeated.

But...

I'm as excited about the offense as everybody else, but from my experience it takes a little longer to get that side of the ball rolling when a new staff comes in. Fortunately we have a proven senior at QB who's played in the spread, so the learning curve shouldn't be much to overcome.

I give Manny and the defense **** sometimes but if we can average around 35 PPG we should go undefeated.

But...

I'm as excited about the offense as everybody else, but from my experience it takes a little longer to get that side of the ball rolling when a new staff comes in. Fortunately we have a proven senior at QB who's played in the spread, so the learning curve shouldn't be much to overcome.

This shouldn’t just be cast aside. It takes longer to get up to speed on offense no matter what, and now you factor Covid into it. Lashlee definitely has his hands full getting these kids all on the same page with limited time. You‘re right though, it all starts with King and he knows what he’s doing in a system like this. I would love to see 35+ right out of the gate against temple.

I think you’ll get your wish OBM, but not until the 2nd half when we finally start clicking and utilize King’s rushing abilities more so than the 1st half.

It's crazy that in 2018 we gave up 30 defensive points only one time (in the bowl game) and still managed to go 7-6.

In our 6 losses, we scored more than 17 points ONCE (21 @ GT). It's no secret that our offense has been our downfall these past 2 years. Hopefully Lashlee can find the keys to a capable offense, because capable may be all we need.

That's wild.

Advertisement
Back