Manny with an offense

My only problem with Manny is Manny himself.For arguments sake, let's just say that he is a decent defensive coordinator. Where is his learning curve to be a good or even great head coach? He is definitely an off-season All American coach. Maybe even an offseason Hall of Fame coach. He obviously had a lot to learn last season. I do give him somewhat of a pass as a first-year head coach though there are no excuses for a few of our losses last year.Now let's see what he has learned and how that translates to the scoreboard. At the end of the day, that is what he will be judged on. That said, great work OP?
We're beating a dead horse with a stick when it comes to *****'s expectations. On the field is the final say....

Advertisement
Defense was not and is not "THE" problem, but they are still "A" problem. The Diaz gimmick defensive scheme will never be successful against truly good teams like Wisconsin, LSU, Clemson and we've now seen it exposed against FIU and other inferior teams.

We need a sound defense and a sound offense at the same time. I expect the defense to regress this year and look worse than the offense and if this comes to fruition, will there be any defensive changes? I doubt it, which reveals the source of the problems.
We've hardly been loaded with talent on defence.

His scheme works in College - it's about disruption - and like everything, it'll work even better when you recruit better players. He has to win consistently to do that.

As lauded as Pinckney, Quarterman and McCloud were, they didn't make enough plays at LB. That's the position that stops this scheme being elite.

Just before the Temple kickoff - I don't want Manny to say **** to the team. Not a word!

I want the team to hear from Ed Reed.

As happened before kickoff against Notre Dame - and we saw those results! Ho Li Chit! Best fired up UM team in two decades.

Manny needs to stay quiet - and take notes. For when Ed isn't available.
Record him and play it on the bus too...

Advertisement
I'm hopeful because of our new offense. But it's way too simplistic to say that if we had Lashlee we would have won every game because his offense averages more points than our defense averaged giving up.

It's the ultimate team sport, and the offense will be better. Will the defense stay the same as it was? Who knows?

My biggest concern is not improvement, as that is almost a no brainer. My concern is consistency, which talented, but undisciplined teams struggle with. I don't doubt King or Lashlee, but I do question the heart of players that are used to dancing instead of fighting for Ws. I expect us to look great some weekends, with other leaving us asking, "Where did our O go?"

This team needs discipline, and badly. Here's hoping Lashlee brings a ton of it, and that King's work ethic rubs off on others. They will not be able to do it alone. They need the holdovers to step way the **** up, or we are going to see a very frustrated QB by October. If the holdovers think King will lead them by himself, this season is going to be ugly. He needs them all to step up.

The numbers are hard to crunch because it’s much more than just points scored versus points surrendered. I mean how many times has our offense turned the ball over and given the opponent a short field??Yes, technically the defense surrendered those points but it’s unrealistic to expect a defense to consistently bail you out in those scenarios. Or games where the defense just ran out of gas after having to be out on the field the entire game because the offense was worthless. The 2019 defensive performance against Virginia was Herculean. The offense was trash, as usual but the defense bailed them out over and over. I kept waiting for them to finally get gassed and give up the go ahead score but never happened.

Advertisement
Also imagine the defense if they ever get to play with a lead? Imagine getting to tell the defensive line “just go get the quarterback, don’t worry about the run, we’ve got a big lead”. It’s a symbiotic relationship between offense and defense. A good offense makes it even easier to have a great defense.

In terms of offense-defense synergy, I suspect that having an offense that scores points will mean the Diaz's defense will take more chances at creating negative plays (sacks, INTs, strip fumbles, etc). End result is probably going to be a defense that in terms of YPG and PPG will be the worst in Diaz's tenure at Miami, but the havoc rate will be top 3 in the country.

Just before the Temple kickoff - I don't want Manny to say **** to the team. Not a word!

I want the team to hear from Ed Reed.

As happened before kickoff against Notre Dame - and we saw those results! Ho Li Chit! Best fired up UM team in two decades.

Manny needs to stay quiet - and take notes. For when Ed isn't available.
The pregame speech thing is movie ****. Ask Mike Irving after his spit-flying tirade before the final game at the OB against UVA.

I'm hopeful because of our new offense. But it's way too simplistic to say that if we had Lashlee we would have won every game because his offense averages more points than our defense averaged giving up.

It's the ultimate team sport, and the offense will be better. Will the defense stay the same as it was? Who knows?

Agreed, and I wasn't saying that. I was just saying IF (and yes, IF's mean zero), but IF this offense had a pulse the last 4 years, we'd probably feel a whole lot different about where this program was. But it's a team sport, and the defense has been good enough, for the most part, offense has been a complete disaster and special teams just as bad. When 2 of your 3 components suck balls, your program is going to suck balls.

So the point of this thread was assuming the 2020 defense is the same as the sum of the 2016 thru 2019 defenses. We have data on that, although certainly parts change. But we've got 4 years running of pretty good defense the majority of the time. I'm assuming the 2020 defense will be pretty good the majority of the time. If that happens, and we can average 30 a game on offense (which I pointed out isn't asking for much, it's literally between 40th and 50th in the country every year), I think this should be a 10 win football team.

But we thought we'd get 30 a week last year with Nick Saban's new OC, and I've taken massive dumps that were prettier than what I saw on offense last year. So we shall see. But I really believe that, after 12 games, if we have averaged 30 a game on offense, we'll have had a really successful season.

Advertisement
Agreed, and I wasn't saying that. I was just saying IF (and yes, IF's mean zero), but IF this offense had a pulse the last 4 years, we'd probably feel a whole lot different about where this program was. But it's a team sport, and the defense has been good enough, for the most part, offense has been a complete disaster and special teams just as bad. When 2 of your 3 components suck balls, your program is going to suck balls.

So the point of this thread was assuming the 2020 defense is the same as the sum of the 2016 thru 2019 defenses. We have data on that, although certainly parts change. But we've got 4 years running of pretty good defense the majority of the time. I'm assuming the 2020 defense will be pretty good the majority of the time. If that happens, and we can average 30 a game on offense (which I pointed out isn't asking for much, it's literally between 40th and 50th in the country every year), I think this should be a 10 win football team.

But we thought we'd get 30 a week last year with Nick Saban's new OC, and I've taken massive dumps that were prettier than what I saw on offense last year. So we shall see. But I really believe that, after 12 games, if we have averaged 30 a game on offense, we'll have had a really successful season.
My point is defenses tend to put up better numbers when the offense plays at a snail's pace. Let's see if the defense remains the same with this new fast paced offense. I suggest the defense will suffer some this year. I'm hopeful that the better offense will outweigh that, and the team overall will be better.

Then, of course, we have the intangibles (i.e., Manure's abysmal failure as a leader of men) that aren't accounted for with stat analysis. You can talk stats all day, but there's never any excuse for a Miami program to lose the games we lost last year regardless of the OC. When you're losing to FIU, GT, Puke, and La Tech, then the problems run much deeper than the OC. We should win those game with you as the OC if it's only a stats thing.

My point is defenses tend to put up better numbers when the offense plays at a snail's pace. Let's see if the defense remains the same with this new fast paced offense. I suggest the defense will suffer some this year. I'm hopeful that the better offense will outweigh that, and the team overall will be better.

Then, of course, we have the intangibles (i.e., Manure's abysmal failure as a leader of men) that aren't accounted for with stat analysis. You can talk stats all day, but there's never any excuse for a Miami program to lose the games we lost last year regardless of the OC. When you're losing to FIU, GT, Puke, and La Tech, then the problems run much deeper than the OC. We should win those game with you as the OC if it's only a stats thing.

This.

Advertisement

I fully expect some of our numbers to decline on D for the reason you stated. However, I expect to see a larger gap between what our O puts up as compared to our D. While our D, for example, may give up 50 more yards and 4 more points a game, I expect our O to put up 100 more yards and 7 points a game. So while the D is "taking a hit", it shouldn't matter if the O is producing. If the O isn't producing, we are in deep trouble.

Your first point is valid. Teams in the past knew they only needed to score a few times to beat us. If we start actually having a pulse on offense, it might change the way teams attack our defense and might skew some results. We'll see. But I've seen the alternative for 4 years. I'll take my chances scoring more and relying on the defense to continue what they've shown for 4 years. I can't take another season of what we've seen recently. If we start losing games 41-40, so be it.

I fully expect some of our numbers to decline on D for the reason you stated. However, I expect to see a larger gap between what our O puts up as compared to our D. While our D, for example, may give up 50 more yards and 4 more points a game, I expect our O to put up 100 more yards and 7 points a game. So while the D is "taking a hit", it shouldn't matter if the O is producing. If the O isn't producing, we are in deep trouble.
I expect the same. My reservation is Manure as a leader of men. If he repeats or even comes close to repeating his abysmal failure as a leader last year, then we'll likely see much better numbers offensively, but we'll still find ways to lose and no show and quit and not rise to the occasion. Then, goofballs will go right back to the "the offense (or defense) was good enough to win, but the defense (or offense) killed us" rap that they've been doing for 15 years now.

Your first point is valid. Teams in the past knew they only needed to score a few times to beat us. If we start actually having a pulse on offense, it might change the way teams attack our defense and might skew some results. We'll see. But I've seen the alternative for 4 years. I'll take my chances scoring more and relying on the defense to continue what they've shown for 4 years. I can't take another season of what we've seen recently. If we start losing games 41-40, so be it.
I agree with the overall sentiment and hope, friend. I've also been relegated to the "if we're going to lose at least let's be fun to watch" mindset too, so I dig it. In the end, though, losing will still suck.

Advertisement
Back