Manny with an offense

excuses and expectations have to stop.
Game one against temple will tell us what we have.
if we are anywhere near a playoff team then the box and scoreboard will let us know.
mid the stats and final are indicative of what a really good team does to a team like temple then we have a good argument to make. If it’s tight at halftime then the season is gonna be rough.

Advertisement
if we are anywhere near a playoff team then the box and scoreboard will let us know.
mid the stats and final are indicative of what a really good team does to a team like temple then we have a good argument to make. If it’s tight at halftime then the season is gonna be rough.

In 1983, Miami lost on opening day 28-3. 4 months later, they won a national championship. Temple tells us very little. Just win and move on. And then do it 11 more times.

Great stat. That is completely insane.

Let's not forget too that in 2018 we were 105th in the country in punting, to go along with 84th in the country in offensive YPP and 89th in scoring.

So you can't move the ball, you don't score, and when you fail at both of those and need to punt, you absolutely suck something fierce.

Not exactly the best recipe for winning.
Throw in a missed field goal here or there...

Also look at how many times the offense turned the ball over on the short side of the field and put the D in a bad spot.... or all their 3 and outs that caused the D to be on the field too much

I think if we had an offense that scored more and possesses the ball longer the D would be even more efficient

Advertisement
Don't know if to expect complete domination but at least man handle those chumps at the appropriate moments in the game...

In 1983, Miami lost on opening day 28-3. 4 months later, they won a national championship. Temple tells us very little. Just win and move on. And then do it 11 more times.
I think it's different times. They might use the lost against us in the playoff committee. Deja vu of 2000

Also look at how many times the offense turned the ball over on the short side of the field and put the D in a bad spot.... or all their 3 and outs that caused the D to be on the field too much

I think if we had an offense that scored more and possesses the ball longer the D would be even more efficient
AcceptableAmazingFreshwatereel-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
If you want to compare college football today to 40 years ago then go ahead.
The way teams coached recruited prepared and developed today it might as well be football that’s played on another planet.
If we were playing a legit power five team that hadn’t had a coaching staff change then I would have no problem losing that game. But both temple and the hurricanes have new staff have also had to deal with the Covid problem. If we really are where we want to be there is no reason that should not be a convincing win.

With most teams your observation is spot on, but our culture is so broken, I would argue that losing to Temple would wreck our season, much like Florida and Carolina did.

The o’l “here we go again,” mentality seems to kill us every year after bad losses. Although I hope I’m very wrong about that.

With most teams your observation is spot on, but our culture is so broken, I would argue that losing to Temple would wreck our season, much like Florida and Carolina did.

The o’l “here we go again,” mentality seems to kill us every year after bad losses. Although I hope I’m very wrong about that.

Agree with this. I said it several times leading up to the gator game last year. This program really thinks, for some odd reason, that they’re some championship factory and 1 loss makes the season not worth playing.

That said, we’re not losing to Temple at home.

Advertisement
I think the first half against Temple will be more telling defensively. If we can come out and dominate the Owls there then that shall give the offense time to gel. I don’t see us blowing them out in the 1st half - not with the lack of practices. I see the defense as the key to this win and a @27-17 type affair. We’ll get going offensively but I just don’t see a blowout Game #1

Unfortunately, the last several years, it does feel like we have fielded teams that wallow in defeat after a loss instead of angrily rallying back for a win the next game. The way we came out flat against UNC last season after a close, bitter loss against a rival, in retrospect, was the entire season in a nutshell.

Confidence, focus, leadership, and a desperate hatred of losing... the team has been missing some of that for a while now. Hopefully, King can bring some of that with him.

We do this thread pretty much every offseason, but I saw some stuff on Twitter and wanted to dive into some numbers on what we can hopefully expect if we get the offense a lot of us think we will with Lashlee and King.

I went back and scrubbed every game since Manny has been here, and while this isn't a perfect metric (what is, really?), it's a good indicator of what we need to do on offense, and how realistic those levels are. I removed all non-offensive TDs given up, and looked at points surrendered by the defense only. Again, it's not perfect, because against LSU for example, they scored 26 points on offense, which is not a horrendous defensive performance. But they took their foot off the gas at halftime essentially, so could they have scored more? Possibly. But I went with the numbers as they are....what has the defense actually given up?

Miami has played 52 games with Manny Diaz on the sidelines. Of those 52, Miami has given up 30+ defensive points 8 times:

2016 @ VT (37)
2016 @ ND (30)
2017 vs Toledo (30)
2017 vs Clemson (37)
2017 vs Wisconsin (34)
2018 vs Wisconsin (35)
2019 vs VT (42)
2019 vs FIU (30)

Now....we've lost 20 games with Manny here. This means that we lost 12 games in 4 seasons where the defense did not give up 30 points or more. That SHOULD NOT happen in college football. Why? Because the game is now an offensive explosion every Saturday. Take a look at how many FBS teams AVERAGED 30 points the past 4 seasons:

2016 -- 50
2017 -- 46
2018 -- 42
2019 -- 47

That's well over a third of teams average 30 a clip. By the way, Miami did average 31.3 a game in 2016 (Hi, Brad Kaaya), and in the 3 years since, have averaged 28.1, 24.8, and bottoming out at 22.6 last season. Just....awful.

So, can Lashlee and King get us 30 a week? AKA, can we just be in the upper third of the country in offense? I think, as we say every year, that is the magic number. I think if we look back in December, and Miami has averaged 30+ a week, I really believe we're sitting at 10-2 or better. The evidence is there. Say what you want about Manny and Baker, I don't think anyone is screaming that it's the best defense in the country, but it's more than adequate to navigate our schedule year after year. The offense (and special teams) haven't held up their end of the bargain week in and week out.

BTW...SMU ranked 5th in the country last year at 41.8 a game. If we get anywhere close to that number, we're literally waltzing to Charlotte and possibly into a NY6 bowl.
Truly an unbelievable post. Great work. Crazy to think as awful as we were last year, we should have been 8-4 AT WORST. North Carolina should have been a win, 100%. 4th and 17 or whatever it was. Georgia Tech should have been a win, Baxa missed a 20 something yard field goal that would have won us the game. FIU was a complete embarrassment. I didn’t mention Virginia tech because we were down 28-0 so we didn’t deserve to win that game. Even though we came back and took the lead! Also the UF game- Thomas’ muffed punt and missed TD catch. If he makes one of those plays, we win that game. All of this with the worst offensive line in the country last year. In the 120’s. If our o-line can just be average this year (in the 60’s), we will win a lot of ball games.

Advertisement
Defense was not and is not "THE" problem, but they are still "A" problem. The Diaz gimmick defensive scheme will never be successful against truly good teams like Wisconsin, LSU, Clemson and we've now seen it exposed against FIU and other inferior teams.

We need a sound defense and a sound offense at the same time. I expect the defense to regress this year and look worse than the offense and if this comes to fruition, will there be any defensive changes? I doubt it, which reveals the source of the problems.

My only problem with Manny is Manny himself.For arguments sake, let's just say that he is a decent defensive coordinator. Where is his learning curve to be a good or even great head coach? He is definitely an off-season All American coach. Maybe even an offseason Hall of Fame coach. He obviously had a lot to learn last season. I do give him somewhat of a pass as a first-year head coach though there are no excuses for a few of our losses last year.Now let's see what he has learned and how that translates to the scoreboard. At the end of the day, that is what he will be judged on. That said, great work OP?

Just before the Temple kickoff - I don't want Manny to say **** to the team. Not a word!

I want the team to hear from Ed Reed.

As happened before kickoff against Notre Dame - and we saw those results! Ho Li Chit! Best fired up UM team in two decades.

Manny needs to stay quiet - and take notes. For when Ed isn't available.

Advertisement
Back