Manny Replacement

3 scenarios : hire from recently fired list [ previous Georgia Tech, Louisville, Colorado staffs ]
hire an up and comer from lesser program [ ie. a 50 cent on the dollar guy compared to Diaz]
hire from within - none are appealing
4th scenario : could hire Jorge Diaz, current Southwest HS AD and hope no one notices its not Manny

Advertisement
Dewayne Walker is someone I think could be had. He's now the db coach for the Browns but was a stud DC for Ucla. If were going to go with someone with no DC experience I'd go after Torrian Gray or Kerry Coombs.

Gray is an interesting name.
Played and coached under Bud Foster at VT when they had good defenses.
Also coached for Edsall at UConn.
Currently coaching with the Redskins.
Another assistant coach with the Skins who may be relevant to this convo is Kirk Olivadotti.
Olivadotti's dad was the DC under Schnellenberger. He played at St.Thomas Aquinas and also
coached for Richt at UGA.

Advertisement
Not on the defensive side of ball.
Pretty good hires after Martinez, including Grantham and Pruitt and before Martinez
he had Brian Van Gorder, who did well at UGA.

All true. And he did hire Manny and let him run a very aggressive scheme, so there's that. Which makes the offensive thing more infuriating... but I guess that's been covered elsewhere.

Advertisement
Banda. Hes a smart guy and knows a DIaz defense like the back of his hand. He can be our DC and in two years when Diaz comes back (hopefully) after a succesful two year Temple career he can be his defensive coordinator. If we get banda and move Patke to linebackers and striker we have room for a OC. I hope Richt does this because I think Banda would come in without skipping a beat. Banda has been with Diaz for years and I bet he is up for the task

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back