Manny Post Game and his philosophy

I like Manny Diaz. I get a sense that there's always a little self doubt when he speaks. Pure speculation but is it guilt from being the son of a powerful father and recognizing there are people out there who don't think you've earned the opportunities you've gotten along the way. I hope he succeeds here, but he's going to have to learn to exercize some of his own demons first. It affects every decision he makes.
I don't think it is guilt. I think it is a lack of confidence/credentials because he isn't a football guy. Spoelstra is the same, but he had a Godfather that taught him the way, gave him time and space and then he succeeded on his own. Manny isn't there because he doesn't have a Godfather (isn't that what the AD should be doing, rather than distributing tickets?) and he hasn't had real success. That's why he should have stayed at Temple (why we shouldn't have offered him the job) and earned his stripes, then come back to the U. He's too inexperienced for this ****.

Advertisement
Y'all fixate on the weirdest ******* ****. Who gives a **** if Manny slip slided after the game... for ****'s sake. Picking apart his post game pressers like you're Sigmund ******* Freud.

LMAO at least wait until we lose to a team that isn't Clemson before you start your whining.
Why? This stuff is foreseeable. Why wait until there's a loss on your record (or multiple loses) when you can fix it now?

Don't cha know, you can't remove a loss once the game is played.

never in doubt? they had the ball in their hands with a minute go and down by less than one touchdown. in fact, in the third quarter it should have been 21-10 UVA if they would not have had a TD called back and if they made the easy interception on King in the bubble screen.
Idk I never felt anything in either. Maybe I just don’t care like I used to though.

Why? This stuff is foreseeable. Why wait until there's a loss on your record (or multiple loses) when you can fix it now?

Don't cha know, you can't remove a loss once the game is played.

I don't think we have the players to be the kind of team you imagine we can be. Straight up.

People think it's all coaching. Well, I've seen Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, and Dabo Swinney win national championships. It ain't coaching.

Yabo Dabo is basically the redneck Manny Diaz. No amount of convincing will sway me that he's some great leader of men. And those other two? LOL.

You think there's some magical ******* drill that wide receivers can do that will turn Mark Pope in to Jerry Rice?

We have three centers starting on the interior line. Unless your plan involves massive amounts of PED's and steroids, there ain't no "fixing" that.

Advertisement
Harley’s “bare minimum” comment tells you all you need to know about the Diaz era and what the players think of him. That was a senior that Diaz and company see as a leader and one of their favorites. This isn’t some malcontent busted culture **** head. This is one of Manny’s guys, and he told the world they didn’t give a **** till social media started dogging them hard.

You know what they see with that depth chart “or” charade now? The dad who says don’t make me get the belt but never actually gets the belt. Key Smith played less than he did before that charade, and Mrs. Wiggins played 80 snaps.

I don't think we have the players to be the kind of team you imagine we can be. Straight up.

People think it's all coaching. Well, I've seen Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, and Dabo Swinney win national championships. It ain't coaching.

Yabo Dabo is basically the redneck Manny Diaz. No amount of convincing will sway me that he's some great leader of men. And those other two? LOL.

You think there's some magical ******* drill that wide receivers can do that will turn Mark Pope in to Jerry Rice?

We have three centers starting on the interior line. Unless your plan involves massive amounts of PED's and steroids, there ain't no "fixing" that.
What are you talking about? Who's talking about a national championship. We're talking about the effort against VA, a team with inferior talent. We're talking about mentally being dialed in and playing with focus. In fact, the only team we gave a good 60 minute effort was FSU. In hindsight, I can say with a high degree of confidence that was primarily because of the emotion of playing FSU. We can't dial up that level of intensity on notice.

Louisville was a 7 point game with 5 minutes left in the third. Pitt was a 5 point game with 6 minute left in the third. UAB was a 3 point game with 6 minutes left in the third. This is all against teams that are tied for last place in the ACC (except UAB)

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Who's talking about a national championship. We talking about the effort against VA, a team with inferior talent. We talking about mentally being dialed in and playing with focus. In fact, the only team we gave a good 60 minute effort was FSU. In hindsight, I can say with a high degree of confidence that was primarily because of the emotion of playing FSU. We can't dial up that level of intensity on notice.

Louisville was a 7 point game with 5 minutes left in the third. Pitt was a 5 point game with 6 minute left in the third. UAB was a 3 point game with 6 minutes left in the third. This is all against teams that are tied for last place in the ACC (except UAB)

The difference between what you saw Saturday and a blowout win is the offensive line. We might have talent elsewhere, but if your starting guard is getting pancaked right off the snap (Scaife) then you're gonna be in a dog fight with Virginia. That's how it goes.

If you're gonna blame coaching for anything, blame them for not recruiting better at key positions.

The difference between what you saw Saturday and a blowout win is the offensive line. We might have talent elsewhere, but if your starting guard is getting pancaked right off the snap (Scaife) then you're gonna be in a dog fight with Virginia. That's how it goes.

If you're gonna blame coaching for anything, blame them for not recruiting better at key positions.
I'm starting to understand, you're one of those talent over development guys. I actually believe you need both but if I had to be only one, I pick development every day.

You can't watch any of our games and say the results were because of lack of talent. Even against Clemson, we were woefully unprepared and not ready to play. Meanwhile Clemson dialed it up to assert their dominance. The only team that was worst against them was Ga Tech. Our effort was on the level of Citadel, think about that.

Advertisement
I'm starting to understand, you're one of those talent over development guys. I actually believe you need both but if I had to be only one, I pick development every day.

You can't watch any of our games and say the results were because of lack of talent. Even against Clemson, we were woefully unprepared and not ready to play. Meanwhile Clemson dialed it up to assert their dominance. The only team that was worst against them was Ga Tech. Our effort was on the level of Citadel, think about that.

Jimmies and Joe's, absolutely. Don't get me wrong, development matters. But I don't think with the new rules limiting how much time coaches can actually spend with players that COACHES really develop anybody.

The players who improve the most are the ones who are INTERNALLY driven to develop themselves. It's the coaches job to recruit those kinds of guys.

Jimmies and Joe's, absolutely. Don't get me wrong, development matters. But I don't think with the new rules limiting how much time coaches can actually spend with players that COACHES really develop anybody.

The players who improve the most are the ones who are INTERNALLY driven to develop themselves. It's the coaches job to recruit those kinds of guys.
Those rules have been in place for over 40 years. Still it hasn't hurt Clemson, VA, Pitt, or any other team than Miami.

Again, you can't watch any of our games and look at the results and say it was a lack of talent.

Those rules have been in place for over 40 years. Still it hasn't hurt Clemson, VA, Pitt, or any other team than Miami.

Again, you can't watch any of our games and look at the results and say it was a lack of talent.

Clemson has better players and those other teams haven't won ****.

And yes, I can and I do. Offensive lines are important.

Advertisement
Advertisement
No I meant Virginia and Pitt. We haven't played Ga Tech yet.
I know we haven't played Ga Tech but that's what you responded to. As far as Pitt and VA, you know what they say about transitiveness of football games. We can only assess based on the game that have been played.

I know we haven't played Ga Tech but that's what you responded to. As far as Pitt and VA, you know what they say about transitiveness of football games. We can only assess based on the game that have been played.

You offered VA and Pitt as examples of how development trumps talent. We beat those teams.

Someone posted after the Clemson game that someone in the biz told them that Manny is a good coach, but tries to be to friendly with his players.
I get a win is a win, but after reading his postgame comments man...I don’t like it. At some point you have to put your foot down and not be buddy buddy. I really didn’t like manny celebrating the Wiggins PI late in the fourth like he did. I understand every coach is different and you should never put up a front, but I think about how would jimmy johnson handle a game like tonight? It all just seems soft and pushing a false sense of confidence.

edit: shout out christy chirinos I think she’s the best of the beat writers out there.View attachment 134283
It wasnt just someone on here that mentioned how Manny's personality doesnt invoke a sense of respect and fear from the players.....after last season a few players were anonymously quoted in the Herald saying the same thing in that there was no fear of being held accountable.

You offered VA and Pitt as examples of how development trumps talent. We beat those teams.
No I didn't.

I talked about our effort level and preparation for them being subpar. Pitt and VA are two teams that are tied for last place in the ACC, that have been boat raced by almost every team on their schedule. Both were within 7 points late in the game.

I only bring up the talent vs development point because that your infects your thinking and distorts how you view things. Otherwise you would see with clarity that there are obvious issues beyond talent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back