Manny on record saying 3 candidates

Was it just the players going along with all the speculation? I remember AR82 tweeting about fedora and other players tweeting the Apple emoji?

Advertisement
and the fourth would be terrific or something like that. These posters cough- harrycarayisgoat -cough are just throwing names out they'd want to have not necessarily Diaz.

And if it is 3 candidates that means he has narrowed things down and is focused on those 3 only.

Initially, Manny's camp leaked they were interested in Fedora and they may have had conversations (both Manny and he have same agent) but I think Fedora has a big ego and wants a HC gig at some point. He should be in no hurry to decide with his sizable buyout from NC. Don't think he really wants to be OC here or anywhere else.

Applewhite was rumored to have interviewed for the job and then you had this report by Stefan citing "multiple sources" he was hired. This seemed the most realistic choice given Manny's past association with him and the fact he could lean on his brief HC experience, and the guy has worked under some darn good headcoaches calling plays as an OC and been a qb coach. He has the Herman philosophy (from Meyers) of running a power spread with rpo and tempo. He would also bring concepts from Briles playbook. That is a perfect fit for the type of running backs we have coming back and skills of our returning wideouts/tightends.

Also another factor in Applewhite's favor is that he recruited Jarren Williams so he would already have some relationship established with at least 1 of our qbs. Don't think Applewhite's past indiscretion is really a factor. He was retained by Texas and hired later at Houston. The vetting has ready been done at those places.

The 3rd guy is definitely not Scott ( who went on record he would not leave Clemson unless to be an HC) and I don't think it is Coley.
It could possibly be Fisch. Personally he may be a candidate because some internal folks like him but I don't think this is the guy to run what Manny envisions on offense.

Regardless, I still think it is Applewhite and they are currently assembling a staff around him to make an official announcement before recruiting ramps up again. I think Manny wanted to have control of the announcement to have everything in place to make the desired splash he was talking about before recruiting starts.

Applewhite by himself would not be enough of a splash but there may be other guys like Seider (who supposedly reached out to Manny) those two in combination would make some waves in the recruiting world, I believe.

Anyway that is my .02 given the info already out there.

Good points...

Applewhite/Seider combo is fine for me. Give Seider an asst hc/ or run game coordinator title if you need to...Just GET HIM HERE.

Advertisement
Why has Canada not been interviewed or looked at? You can argue he is he best coordinator availability. Guy beat Clemson as Pitt coordinator and destroyed Texas 2 years in a row along with almost beating Ohio State. Guy is amazing. Why have we not hired him?

Why has Canada not been interviewed or looked at? You can argue he is he best coordinator availability. Guy beat Clemson as Pitt coordinator and destroyed Texas 2 years in a row along with almost beating Ohio State. Guy is amazing. Why have we not hired him?

He runs more pro style than spread so maybe that’s the hold up currently? I think Diaz sees how much better we operated when we had to go spread this year. So maybe he wants a true or mostly spread playbook.

Advertisement
I seem to remember over the last 20 years when we had a coaching vacancy how many big name coaches applied and it was always smoke screen. People always say how desirable it is to be at Miami but never do we get to these so-called big names. Personally I think maybe the big 3 are Moe, Larry and Curly and we will end up a small college up and comer no one has even thought about yet.

Any chance Manny is interested in Brian Wright? Dude's making about a bill 50 now. Something like that. Asking for those that say Flake wants to go the cheap route. Hoping Manny can get the purse strings loosened a bit.

Why do people think Miami wants to go cheap again? They paid Richt 4 million a year, and were willing to give Diaz a raise to keep him at DC.

Advertisement
Any chance Manny is interested in Brian Wright? Dude's making about a bill 50 now. Something like that. Asking for those that say Flake wants to go the cheap route. Hoping Manny can get the purse strings loosened a bit.

I wanted to stay out of just throwing names out there shtick. Only names that have surfaced with some cred are:

Fedora
Applewhite
Fisch
Scott

Manny has a narrow list. He probably already had guys in mind when at Temple. I think he made his hire already for reasons I already have given.

Fisch is horrible and does not run the spread. If we hire him we might as well bring back Golden and Donerfrio then shut down the program as well.

Still have a feeling it’s the Clemson guy and the delay is due to the CG tomorrow

Advertisement

Supposedly he is a nightmare to work with.

I fear this is all misdirection leading to another no-name hire leading to a bunch of never heard assistant who Manny passed in the night someplace.

I was just throwing a name...only thing I’m certain about was that Applewhite and Fedora were smokescreens to catch leakers.

You may be right about the “leak” theory.

All I know is, “those who know don’t talk and those who talk don’t know.” Which, when it comes to inside information and prognostication, pretty much should be the company slogan of CIS

Last edited:
I was just throwing a name...only thing I’m certain about was that Applewhite and Fedora were smokescreens to catch leakers.
Why would he be wasting his time with that goofy spy v spy nonsense? He’s got a ton on his plate right now. What’s the upside to that nonsense? You say Rickety’s tenure was full of leaks, but it was as leak-free as any I’ve seen here.

Advertisement
Back