Manny Navarro's interview with TVD

Advertisement
If he was a big league player, I can understand the play.

A player of his caliber doesn’t get to pull big **** moves like that when the school is trying to close on transfer portal targets.

So, if I was in his position, I would’ve not done what he did.
You're trying to blame TVD for something you know nothing about. Who's his agent? He was the one making moves to get TVD more NIL money. Each player is essentially an unrestricted free agent every year. It's like Christmas for agents representing college players. The agent can play the game to get more money for his client and his/her self. It's their job!!!

Like Coach Hayes says regarding NIL, " Don't blame the players. They didn't make the rules. Blame the rule makers."

I'm not really a fan of TVD. Even if we all agree Gattis sucked, TVD made some absolutely horrible decisions and throws all season last year. Then you add he apparently had basically horrible relationships with the WRs, and generally likely wasn't putting as much work in as a QB1 should be. Then you add what he pulled this offseason basically threatening to leave... AND in this interview you have him refusing Crisotbals request to meet with some OCs? Like what...

Anyways I'm hopeful he'll have a season better than he had in 2021, then he'll get drafted and we get someone who is a far better leader and more talented in the Portal.
I love that fans think the solution is always in the portal. If that solution were there, he'd be here.

A lot of ungrateful fans with the "What have you done for me lately" attitude.

That 2022 offense sucked. The play calling didn't adapt to the personnel. The offensive line was horrific after the injuries started piling up early in the season. There was no time to throw the ball and very few open receivers, but no worries, the next QB from the portal will turn water into wine as you alluded to (my analogy).

Cribby:
TVD is blamed for everything........yet without him where will this '23 season go?............4 wins......maybe 5 and light's out..........these posters are mindless or hanging out in la la land..........our Canes would be nothing without this guy...........ripping him when you need him is like throwing bottled water away in the desert because you felt a breeze 10 seconds ago...............dumb, dumb, dumb....
Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF
Agreed 100% with your post

Everything?

Everything is awesome! TVD is awesome! Mario is awesome! 15-0! We back!

TVD is 💯 accurate. He’s actually never truly thrown an incomplete pass, those were intended misses and the stats don’t accurately reflect his greatness.

He also wasn’t a victim of Mario, because Mario is a chess master coach and was testing TVD’s resolve and building culture. TVD passed with flying colors - obviously- because he’s never missed a pass - see above…

Or

We can try to be semi-realistic and discuss our QB…his highs and lows…goods and bads…

Everything?

Everything is awesome! TVD is awesome! Mario is awesome! 15-0! We back!

TVD is 💯 accurate. He’s actually never truly thrown an incomplete pass, those were intended misses and the stats don’t accurately reflect his greatness.

He also wasn’t a victim of Mario, because Mario is a chess master coach and was testing TVD’s resolve and building culture. TVD passed with flying colors - obviously- because he’s never missed a pass - see above…

Or

We can try to be semi-realistic and discuss our QB…his highs and lows…goods and bads…
you are not discussing the QB when you only attempt to point out blame and frankly things that are not true but rather false narratives that stuck on some people.

All QBs have things to work on, including TVD, which he noted in that interview. No one QB plays every play perfect. There is a distribution to QB play and the standard deviation of that distribution is a function of the entire program. Improved OL, better scheme, deeper and heathier WRs/RBs will help to both increase the mean of the QB play and narrow the standard deviation of it. 2021 was not fluke. 2022 had adversity and from that adversity we may see an improvement in QB beyond what we saw in 2021.

Advertisement
I love that fans think the solution is always in the portal. If that solution were there, he'd be here.

A lot of ungrateful fans with the "What have you done for me lately" attitude.

That 2022 offense sucked. The play calling didn't adapt to the personnel. The offensive line was horrific after the injuries started piling up early in the season. There was no time to throw the ball and very few open receivers, but no worries, the next QB from the portal will turn water into wine as you alluded to (my analogy).
Well if the solution isn't in the portal for next season, then that means you think the solution is already on the roster or in our current recruiting class.
I do not think our Starting QB for next season is currently in one of those 2 groups. So I really have no idea what the **** you're talking about with "if that solution were there, he'd be here"... Did you miss the part where I said FOR NEXT SEASON? Lol. TVD isn't staying next season.

The hilarious part is I'm actually someone who has been saying this season our offense is going to be really good, and so will TVD. So I really don't know why you chose to respond to me of all people. Maybe because I dared say TVD wasn't good LAST YEAR even if outside Gattis, and that he lacks leadership qualities I value in a QB?

I absolutely think it is possible we get a good QB in the portal for next season.

Last edited:
you are not discussing the QB when you only attempt to point out blame and frankly things that are not true but rather false narratives that stuck on some people.

All QBs have things to work on, including TVD, which he noted in that interview. No one QB plays every play perfect. There is a distribution to QB play and the standard deviation of that distribution is a function of the entire program. Improved OL, better scheme, deeper and heathier WRs/RBs will help to both increase the mean of the QB play and narrow the standard deviation of it. 2021 was not fluke. 2022 had adversity and from that adversity we may see an improvement in QB beyond what we saw in 2021.

TVD
Gattis
Mario

All played a role. Injuries played a role.

No one is blaming everything on TVD. Questioning his accuracy or intangibles or slow starts is not unreasonable.

Advertisement
Screenshot 2023-07-20 171627.png

Apparently at Northwestern, it's the QB touching the Center's balls most often.

Imagine you've got a job you love. You're really good at it and you get along pretty well with your co-workers. A new company buys out your old boss and the new boss brings in his own management team. Ok, no problem, right? The new boss has a really good reputation and says all the right things but the manager he puts in charge of your position is another story. Not only is the manager inept at his job, he's also a prick to deal with. The guy takes a really productive sector of the business and changes the way everyone does everything. So now not only is production way down, but morale is in the toilet too because nobody can stand that guy. Your coworkers look to you to provide some positivity but even you can't stand working under this ***-clown anymore. So naturally, you do what anyone who's not a moron does and you start to check the want ads. You get your resume in order and sign up on Indeed or some other job site. After a year of almost running your company out of business, the boss finally fires the management that had no business being there in the first place. The boss says "don't go man, we're going to bring in someone better." Do you just assume he's going to hire the right man for the job now, or do you wait to see who he's hiring and before you take your resume back off the internet?
I agree with this 100% and understand why he’d be frustrated and wouldn’t have blamed him if he’d left.

Not only this, but also he probably felt like he was potentially losing millions of dollars due to the incompetence of the situation. He’s a young guy and that is A LOT to handle.

With that said, quarterback is synonymous with leadership he had the worst body language of anyone I’ve ever seen on a football field and he oftentimes made his frustrations known passive aggressively.

He’s a young guy who was in a difficult situation and didn’t handle it very well imo. I think people should consider how challenging his circumstances were and ácknowledge he shouldn’t have been put in that position, but in life you play the cards you’re dealt and it’s also fair to say he handled it poorly, and as fans we obviously hope to see better leadership from the quarterback position.

Edit: TLDR— Yes he was in a terrible situation. He also handled that adversity poorly (which to be fair was a ton of adversity for anyone let alone a young guy). It’s ok for people to want more leadership skill from their QB though

Last edited:
Advertisement
The word “ threatened “ is too strong. Bama obviously reached out ( tampered) . He had an option that most wouldn’t turn down but he did. By them reaching out he had leverage. That’s how this game works now , don’t get butthurt because y’all were all celebrating this new NIL world. It’s just the new normal and he’s not the only one. Get used to it. He got his value and that’s all he wanted. He’s passed up a better situation financially and professionally. It’s over and time to move on imo. The season is almost here.

The word “ threatened “ is too strong. Bama obviously reached out ( tampered) . He had an option that most wouldn’t turn down but he did. By them reaching out he had leverage. That’s how this game works now , don’t get butthurt because y’all were all celebrating this new NIL world. It’s just the new normal and he’s not the only one. Get used to it. He got his value and that’s all he wanted. He’s passed up a better situation financially and professionally. So there’s that.
I also would have dipped to Bama if I were him if were being honest. they're last what five QBs all went round 1 or 2?

Advertisement
Just to be clear…. The interview was between the Athletic and TVD with the line “flirted with transferring”

Stop acting like CIS posters were interviewed creating the story to talk about…

We all want TVD to ball out, but you do interviews, you’re subject to responses…

The word “ threatened “ is too strong. Bama obviously reached out ( tampered) . He had an option that most wouldn’t turn down but he did. By them reaching out he had leverage. That’s how this game works now , don’t get butthurt because y’all were all celebrating this new NIL world. It’s just the new normal and he’s not the only one. Get used to it. He got his value and that’s all he wanted. He’s passed up a better situation financially and professionally. It’s over and time to move on imo. The season is almost here.
Uh this thread was started because of an interview TVD did where it literally was discussed. Most here had moved on. Doesn't make the facts/critiques of TVD untrue. It also doesn't mean people who didn't like his role in the Bama situation and/or his performance last year think he won't be good this season.

Uh this thread was started because of an interview TVD did where it literally was discussed. Most here had moved on. Doesn't make the facts/critiques of TVD untrue. It also doesn't mean people who didn't like his role in the Bama situation and/or his performance last year think he won't be good this season.
Uh it doesn’t look like people have moved on. Reread the thread.

Advertisement
Back