Manny Navarro's interview with TVD

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium

HIGHLIGHTS:
-Van Dyke thrived in Rhett Lashlee’s up-tempo spread offense as a true freshman in 2021. He threw for more than 300 yards in each of his last six games, completing 66 percent of his passes for 20 touchdowns and three interceptions over a 5-1 stretch.
Van Dyke eclipsed the 300-yard mark only twice last season in Gattis’ offense and finished the year with a total of 10 touchdowns and five interceptions.

-After getting pummeled most of last season, TVD suffered an AC Joint sprain in a disheartening home loss to Duke.
Jake Garcia led the team to an ugly OT win at UVA the following week but it was obvious to everyone the team was going nowhere without TVD at QB.

He dressed the following week to play against FSU, despite not having thrown a pass in practice all week. He pushed through 8 attempted passes, completing 4 for 24 yards before Cristobal pulled him. He returned 3 weeks later to try to help the team get bowl eligible.

“Probably shouldn’t have played that game,” “Coach wanted me to play, but it was also my decision.”

- TVD did not need surgery in the post season -the injury healed with rest and rehab. He has a literal "chip" on his shoulder in the form of a bump, as a reminder of last season. He says he feels 100% and that the injury hasn't affected his accuracy at all.

-TVD has been working with David Morris at QB Country in the off season. He has also gone up to Mobile, Al. work with the staff there. His focus has been on keeping his left arm close to his body and his front knee bent on delivery.

“Before, I was getting over the top and it was affecting my high-low accuracy,”

- On DAWSON
“Chill and relaxed” are the words Van Dyke uses to describe Dawson.
-TVD will have the freedom to change a running play to a pass play and the ability to switch a route if he sees an opening to make a big play downfield. He didn’t have that under Josh Gattis.

- One important on-field change under Dawson: wristbands with plays, more huddling and fast signals from the sideline.
“We got a lot of signals stolen last year,” Van Dyke said. “That was an emphasis from Coach Cristobal, too.”

ON the Alabama Situation
-“I always wanted to be here,” TVD told Navarro emphatically.
The real issue was back in January, TVD had no idea who the OC was going to be. He liked Tommy Rees and had an opportunity to join him at ND. Rees was also one of the candidates interviewed by Mario Cristobal for the open OC position at Miami.

TVD also said that Mario asked him to meet certain OC candidates but TVD declined. He felt he didn't want to get attached to any one candidate without meeting ALL of them. He did tell Cristobal he liked Dawson's offense and what he had done with Clayton Tune in Houston.

Van Dyke stayed put after going through the spring with Dawson — his third offensive coordinator in three years — because Mario Cristobal hired the kind of coach Van Dyke wanted to play for. Cristobal also held up his end by used the transfer portal to land one of the best centers in the country (Matt Lee) and a starting interior lineman at Alabama (Javion Cohen) and signed two five-star offensive tackles (Francis Mauigoa and Samson Okunlola) as headliners to its top-10 2023 recruiting class. The Canes also brought in one of the fastest receivers in the country (Tyler Harrell) in the portal after the spring.

- TVD recognizes that the depth in certain positions has improved. He felt last year that was a big issue when the injuries piled up. The team also didn't have a positive mentality and would get down if they got behind even one score. He also noted that the overall attitude and player-led ownership of the team has improved. He says the team has one full team organized bonding activity each week in the off season.

- Building a bond with his new receivers has been his focus during the offseason. TVD already has great rapport with his good friend, Xavier Restrepo and he has developed something similar with Colbie Young.

“Tyler always says if we want to be great, we have to have great timing,” Young said. “We always try to get as much time with him as we can.”

“The self-accountability between just the players and not having the coaches always get on us is good,” “People complaining (last season), blaming each other was a bad dynamic. I feel like we brought in the right people and the right people ended up leaving. Maybe not everybody. You never know. But I think Coach Cristobal did a great job getting the right people in the building.”

Advertisement

HIGHLIGHTS:
-Van Dyke thrived in Rhett Lashlee’s up-tempo spread offense as a true freshman in 2021. He threw for more than 300 yards in each of his last six games, completing 66 percent of his passes for 20 touchdowns and three interceptions over a 5-1 stretch.
Van Dyke eclipsed the 300-yard mark only twice last season in Gattis’ offense and finished the year with a total of 10 touchdowns and five interceptions.

-After getting pummeled most of last season, TVD suffered an AC Joint sprain in a disheartening home loss to Duke.
Jake Garcia led the team to an ugly OT win at UVA the following week but it was obvious to everyone the team was going nowhere without TVD at QB.

He dressed the following week to play against FSU, despite not having thrown a pass in practice all week. He pushed through 8 attempted passes, completing 4 for 24 yards before Cristobal pulled him. He returned 3 weeks later to try to help the team get bowl eligible.

“Probably shouldn’t have played that game,” “Coach wanted me to play, but it was also my decision.”

- TVD did not need surgery in the post season -the injury healed with rest and rehab. He has a literal "chip" on his shoulder in the form of a bump, as a reminder of last season. He says he feels 100% and that the injury hasn't affected his accuracy at all.

-TVD has been working with David Morris at QB Country in the off season. He has also gone up to Mobile, Al. work with the staff there. His focus has been on keeping his left arm close to his body and his front knee bent on delivery.

- On DAWSON
-TVD will have the freedom to change a running play to a pass play and the ability to switch a route if he sees an opening to make a big play downfield. He didn’t have that under Josh Gattis.

- One important on-field change under Dawson: wristbands with plays, more huddling and fast signals from the sideline.
“We got a lot of signals stolen last year,” Van Dyke said. “That was an emphasis from Coach Cristobal, too.”

ON the Alabama Situation
The real issue was back in January, TVD had no idea who the OC was going to be. He liked Tommy Rees and had an opportunity to join him at ND. Rees was also one of the candidates interviewed by Mario Cristobal for the open OC position at Miami.

TVD also said that Mario asked him to meet certain OC candidates but TVD declined. He felt he didn't want to get attached to any one candidate without meeting ALL of them. He did tell Cristobal he liked Dawson's offense and what he had done with Clayton Tune in Houston.

Van Dyke stayed put after going through the spring with Dawson — his third offensive coordinator in three years — because Mario Cristobal hired the kind of coach Van Dyke wanted to play for. Cristobal also held up his end by used the transfer portal to land one of the best centers in the country (Matt Lee) and a starting interior lineman at Alabama (Javion Cohen) and signed two five-star offensive tackles (Francis Mauigoa and Samson Okunlola) as headliners to its top-10 2023 recruiting class. The Canes also brought in one of the fastest receivers in the country (Tyler Harrell) in the portal after the spring.

- TVD recognizes that the depth in certain positions has improved. He felt last year that was a big issue when the injuries piled up. The team also didn't have a positive mentality and would get down if they got behind even one score. He also noted that the overall attitude and player-led ownership of the team has improved. He says the team has one full team organized bonding activity each week in the off season.

- Building a bond with his new receivers has been his focus during the offseason. TVD already has great rapport with his good friend, Xavier Restrepo and he has developed something similar with Colbie Young.

“Tyler always says if we want to be great, we have to have great timing,” Young said. “We always try to get as much time with him as we can.”

“The self-accountability between just the players and not having the coaches always get on us is good,” “People complaining (last season), blaming each other was a bad dynamic. I feel like we brought in the right people and the right people ended up leaving. Maybe not everybody. You never know. But I think Coach Cristobal did a great job getting the right people in the building.”
Interesting that at the end, he says “maybe not everybody.” Hopefully the remaining bad actors don’t impact the rest of the players this season.

Advertisement
WOW!! Mario brought in a fool and trashed last season, now makes sense why the team gave up. Signs stolen + can't change plays at line of scrimmage = of course players quit on them - builds hating on OC (who should not be named anymore)
They should't quit. Says more about immaturity than GERDis.

Also however, does speak volumes with GERDis' inability to connect with players and other corches.

Big miss by Big Manny on that hire.

Pair Steele with an offense that could actually sustain drives and score and porsters would be sad he left for Bama.

Offense is now a big part of defense in today's rule sets.

Advertisement
If there are any bad eggs left, it shouldn't matter too much as long as they're a small minority. A dominant player culture pushing in the other direction will force them to get with it or they'll become irrelevant. When we heard stories about players laughing at Restrepo's dedication, it was like a toxic waste alert. If TVD sees that's gone, no wonder he finally feels comfortable about how things are now. I could understand anyone looking elsewhere if the team culture and OC weren't truly fixed.

HIGHLIGHTS:

- On DAWSON

ON the Alabama Situation

Appreciate the breakdown of the interview. Very telling information. Go Canes

Advertisement

HIGHLIGHTS:

- On DAWSON

ON the Alabama Situation

**** TVD.

TVD "flirting" with transferring was not his finest moment. I hope he lives up to the hype in his own mind about his level of talent because if he doesn't, the pitchforks will be out.

IMO, lack of competition creates divas. I love what Mario is doing with talent acquisition, but not getting a quality QB2 was a major mistake.

Advertisement
**** TVD.
Nah how about

jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF

Advertisement
Back